The Student Room Group

iGCSE 2012 Chemistry Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Can someone clarify electrolysis of aqueous solutions? The difference between concentrated and dilute? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Graceyfave
Can someone clarify electrolysis of aqueous solutions? The difference between concentrated and dilute? :smile:

Actually, I can't see that this will come up in our exam, as the level of depth is a tiny bit higher than usual, but let's give it a shot anyway.

Basically, some molecules in solution are easier to oxidize than others: take NaCl aqueous solution. Water molecules or Cl- ions can both be produced at the anode, but Cl- ions are easier to oxidize than water molecules, so you'll generally produce more Cl2 gas at the anode: 2Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e-

However, the more dilute the solution (i.e. the higher the concentration of water molecules), the more O2 gas will be coming out as well: 4OH- -> 2H2O + 4e- + O2. So you'll get both, depending on the concentration of the solution.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 62

Not on GCSE syllabus.

Original post by Big-Daddy
Actually, I can't see that this will come up in our exam, as the level of depth is a tiny bit higher than usual, but let's give it a shot anyway.

Basically, some molecules in solution are easier to oxidize than others: take NaCl aqueous solution. Water molecules or Cl- ions can both be produced at the anode, but Cl- ions are easier to oxidize than water molecules, so you'll generally produce more Cl2 gas at the anode: 2Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e-

However, the more dilute the solution (i.e. the higher the concentration of water molecules), the more O2 gas will be coming out as well: 4OH- -> 2H2O + 4e- + O2. So you'll get both, depending on the concentration of the solution.

Correct but not on our syllabus :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by sahajkaur
Not on GCSE syllabus.

It is.. :/

Reply 64
Original post by _ashT
ah okay, thank you so much! Also, there's another point that I'm not too sure of: "explain how the methods of extraction of the metals in this section are related to their positions in the reactivity series."?

I think this is about why Aluminium is extracted by electrolysis whereas Iron is reduced with CO. Aluminium is more reactive than Iron and Carbon is in between them. Hence, Carbon Monoxide can reduced Iron Oxide to Iron. I think that this doesn't work for aluminium though because aluminium is more reactive than carbon, so you need to use electrolysis.
Reply 65
describe simple experiments for the electrolysis, using inert electrodes, of aqueous
solutions of sodium chloride, copper(II) sulfate and dilute sulfuric acid and predict
the products
1.54 write ionic half-equations representing the reactions at the electrodes during electrolysis
1.55 recall that one faraday represents one mole of electrons
1.56 calculate the amounts of the products of the electrolysis of molten salts and aqueous
solutions.
describe the manufacture of sodium hydroxide and chlorine by the electrolysis of
concentrated sodium chloride solution (brine) in a diaphragm cell
5.29 write ionic half-equations for the reactions at the electrodes in the diaphragm cell
5.30 recall important uses of sodium hydroxide, including the manufacture of bleach,
paper and soap; and of chlorine, including sterilising water supplies and in the
manufacture of bleach and hydrochloric acid

Just so no one is caught out
In addition we also need to know aluminium extraction by electrolysis.

It is in the textbook, so I think it may come up. Unlikely, but possible.
Does anyone happen to know which calcualtions only appear on paper 2?
Original post by HerroKitty
Does anyone happen to know which calcualtions only appear on paper 2?

Electrolysis calculations. I never got my head around them - in the end I had to develop an equation to solve them.
Electrolysis calculations. I never got my head around them - in the end I had to develop an equation to solve them.

Could you share it please?
Reply 71

You misunderstood the specification. It is not asking you about the DIFFERENCE between electrolysis of dilute and concentrated products (explained above) but rather it is asking you aout the electrolysis of CONCENTRATED sodium chloride solution which is one of the industrial process we have to know. So study that and please don't mislead others.
Reply 72
It is in the textbook, so I think it may come up. Unlikely, but possible.

' The difference between concentrated and dilute?' isnt and it has never come up, but its easy to work out :smile:
You misunderstood the specification. It is not asking you about the DIFFERENCE between electrolysis of dilute and concentrated products (explained above) but rather it is asking you aout the electrolysis of CONCENTRATED sodium chloride solution which is one of the industrial process we have to know. So study that and please don't mislead others.

In which hydrogen gas and chlorine gas will be produced. :smile:
Reply 74
In which hydrogen gas and chlorine gas will be produced. :smile:

As well as sodium hydroxide :wink: But yeah :smile:
Reply 75
Sorry to be a pain but could someone please point me in the way of like a revision list or something? :smile: Our teachers gave us one for bio, and it had like: 3.2 know the how to label a diagram of the chest cavity, including thorax, diaphragm etc. I'm presuming it's an official one but not sure :erm: would be really helpfull if someone could :colondollar:
Reply 76
Original post by the11thJD
Sorry to be a pain but could someone please point me in the way of like a revision list or something? :smile: Our teachers gave us one for bio, and it had like: 3.2 know the how to label a diagram of the chest cavity, including thorax, diaphragm etc. I'm presuming it's an official one but not sure :erm: would be really helpfull if someone could :colondollar:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/IGCSE%20New%20IGCSE/IGCSE%20Chemistry%20(4CH0)%20Issue%203.pdf
Reply 78
Hi guys anyone doing chem igcse out there?

Oh, you again :tongue:

Yes I am :tongue:

Really should start working...
Reply 79
Original post by Mazzini
Oh, you again :tongue:

Yes I am :tongue:

Really should start working...

Oh hello, me again :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending