The Student Room Group

iGCSE 2012 Chemistry Discussion

Hi guys anyone doing chem igcse out there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry you?
Reply 2
Original post by Sun_Bear
Yes, Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry you?

Same! :smile: How are you revising?? Feeling good?
Reply 3
I think that the main things to know are the processes (Haber, Contact Etc), identifying ions and solubility patterns.

Probably going to start this week as i only have around 3 exams. You?
Reply 4
Original post by Sun_Bear
I think that the main things to know are the processes (Haber, Contact Etc), identifying ions and solubility patterns.

Probably going to start this week as i only have around 3 exams. You?

I probably won't do it the night before tbh :L haha Yeah I have english and 2 biologys next week. you?
Reply 5
English lit, Maths 4H and Spanish continous writing.
Reply 6
I'm taking this exam as well ... I think Sun_Bear is right, those topics (plus the basics) tend to cover most of the questions. They ask some questions in more detail, but that is most of it.

This is one exam I'm not really worried about - along with Maths I think I can safely deprioritize this one. The other sciences need more work.

Feel free to ask anything if you're in doubt about it :smile:

Edit: sahajkaur, you appear to do a lot of Edexcel IGCSE exams. Do you do Physics IGCSE as well? Make a thread, if so?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Big-Daddy
I'm taking this exam as well ... I think Sun_Bear is right, those topics (plus the basics) tend to cover most of the questions. They ask some questions in more detail, but that is most of it.

This is one exam I'm not really worried about - along with Maths I think I can safely deprioritize this one. The other sciences need more work.

Feel free to ask anything if you're in doubt about it :smile:

Edit: sahajkaur, you appear to do a lot of Edexcel IGCSE exams. Do you do Physics IGCSE as well? Make a thread, if so?

Yes i do!! I will make one now. the physics paper is fiendissh xD

And yes! Chem's the easiest to be honest, :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by sahajkaur
Yes i do!! I will make one now. the physics paper is fiendissh xD

And yes! Chem's the easiest to be honest, :smile:

Haha yeah, I like physics the most as a discipline of all the sciences, but I have to admit that it's the hardest IGCSE science I do. The questions are the trickiest. And the January 2012 Paper 1P was by far the most exhausting IGCSE past paper I've ever done.

Chemistry might be the easiest but Biology seems to have the highest grade boundaries, which is weird because Biology feels harder.
Reply 9
Original post by Big-Daddy
Haha yeah, I like physics the most as a discipline of all the sciences, but I have to admit that it's the hardest IGCSE science I do. The questions are the trickiest. And the January 2012 Paper 1P was by far the most exhausting IGCSE past paper I've ever done.

Chemistry might be the easiest but Biology seems to have the highest grade boundaries, which is weird because Biology feels harder.

Yeah its wierd :/ good luck tomorrow :smile:
what do you guys think will be in the exam?
Reply 11
It will be really easy dont worry, i =m not even gonna revise, i didnt for the mock and got 99% haha
Reply 12
what were last years grade boundaries?
Reply 13
Original post by farhatj
what were last years grade boundaries?

2012 January was 144/180 for an A* and probably this exam will be something similar to it
Reply 14
Oh ok..not too bad

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can someone please post the main points which would come up for sure?
Chemistry is my weak subject :frown:
There are no points that will come up for sure.
Reply 17
Original post by studentno666
Can someone please post the main points which would come up for sure?
Chemistry is my weak subject :frown:

There aren't main points for sure but be very careful with the ion testing, making (oxygen, hydrogen and carbon dioxide) , drawing covalent and ionic bonds, "why metals are malleable", "why do metals have strong melting and boiling points", the flame colours, hydroxide ion and methyl-benzene, uses of aluminium, alkene bromine water test...

Check the 2011 and 2012 past papers 'cause this exam will probably be something like that :smile:
Original post by ZahwahPTTS
There aren't main points for sure but be very careful with the ion testing, making (oxygen, hydrogen and carbon dioxide) , drawing covalent and ionic bonds, "why metals are malleable", "why do metals have strong melting and boiling points", the flame colours, hydroxide ion and methyl-benzene, uses of aluminium, alkene bromine water test...

Check the 2011 and 2012 past papers 'cause this exam will probably be something like that :smile:

Making CO2, oxygen or hydrogen? Since when is any of that on the syllabus?

I'm aware you need to know H2O2's reaction to form water and oxygen, but would you really say that you "make" oxygen through that reaction? And how do you "make" hydrogen?
Thanks
Yeah I have done both those papers as mocks but I still got a B in them :frown:
Anything else that would be important to go over?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending