The Student Room Group

The big "Evaluate My Routine" thread

Post your routine here if you want people to evaluate it and suggest improvements.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, is this an ok weekly workout plan if I want to both maintain/improve sprint speed and improve my stamina for 5k:

monday: go for a steady 4 mile run
Tuesday: weights/strength session - bench press, chins, squats, dumbell exercises,
wednesday: 50m sprints session
thursday: intervals - 150m reps steady pace with 1 and half min rest inbetween
friday:weights/strength session again
saturday: rest or go for a run
sunday:50m sprints

I dont know if Id be doing too much or not, I usually stick with sprints but id like to reach my potential in 5k too.
A woman doing free weights... it's almost too good to be true :eek:

What dumbbell exercises are these? And why no deadlifts for strength sessions?
Reply 3
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
A woman doing free weights... it's almost too good to be true :eek:

What dumbbell exercises are these? And why no deadlifts for strength sessions?

Yea I can only really lift 5 - 7 kg depending on the exercise. I dont want to bulk up too much I think squats are the most important. Ive been doing front raises, lateral raises and curls with dumbells just to stay toned/get a bit of strength.
Original post by nextplanet
Yea I can only really lift 5 - 7 kg depending on the exercise. I dont want to bulk up too much I think squats are the most important. Ive been doing front raises, lateral raises and curls with dumbells just to stay toned/get a bit of strength.

Substitute the raises for overhead press. Add in something for the hamstrings too.
Reply 5
Work up to it, and add overhead presses and deadlifts.
Reply 6
In my procrastination, I've been thinking about what I want to do when I'm done. Ideally I'd want to go on a program that produces both strength and hypertrophy.

Day 1: Strength Work
Squats: 3x5 +2.5kg
BB OHP: 3x5 + 2.5kg
Good Mornings: 3x5 +2.5kg
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Strength Work
BB Row: 3x5 +2.5kg
BB Flat Bench: 3x5 +2.5kg
Deadlift: 2x3 +2.5/5kg
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Beach Work
Incline Bench: 3x8
DB Flyes: 3x8
Tricep Dips: 3x<8
Side Lateral Raises: 3x8
Front Lateral Raises: 3x8
Day 6: Beach Work
Wide Pull-ups: 3x<8
Shrugs: 3x8
Curls: 3x8
DB Calf Raises: 3x8
Front Squat Holds: failure +2.5kg
Planks: 3x<1min
Day 7: HIIT
Day 8: Rest
Day 9: Repeat

That's what I came up with. Any suggestions? Is this routine a pile of crap? I'm thinking of separating the strength days more so I have more time to recover between squatting and deadlifting.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you aren't gaining muscle then you're not doing Starting Strength.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
If you aren't gaining muscle then you're not doing Starting Strength.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

Workout after I finish SS, not instead of SS.
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
In my procrastination, I've been thinking about what I want to do when I'm done. Ideally I'd want to go on a program that produces both strength and hypertrophy.

That's what I came up with. Any suggestions? Is this routine a pile of crap? I'm thinking of separating the strength days more so I have more time to recover between squatting and deadlifting.

I'd just do a powerbuilding split. Probs 4 day.

Monday: Squat and assistance. Do assistance in hypertrophy rep ranges

Tues: Bench and assistance

Thurs: Deadlift and assistance

Fri: OHP, maybe another bench session in different rep range

Of course, that'd look pretty similar to a bodypart split (legs, chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/other stuff). I don't think that's a bad thing.

Still, the routine you've come up with might work. Looks like a similar principle to Layne Norton's Power/Hypertrophy routine:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Layne_Norton%27s_Power/Hypertrophy_Routine
Original post by tooosh

No reason why you can't do hypertrophy training on strength days. Only 6-9 worksets there, you can afford to throw in a 4x10 on arms/chest or something at the end if you wish.
Reply 11
KISS - keep it simple stupid!

I'd recommend Bill Starrs 5x5 x
Reply 12
I guess I can do hypertrophy on strength days. At either extreme (hypertrophy/strength split and bb split) which one would get the better results, considering on both styles progression on the big lifts is 2.5kg/week and maybe 5 on the deadlift? Or does it not matter really. In terms of the h/s split, Layne Nortons looks good but it's 5 day which I don't really want to do. A conventional bb split would be 4 day and would work, but I just don't know which one would be better.

I looked at intermediate strength programs but they don't fit my long term goals as much. Obviously lifting heavy will get you big but from what I know high rep assistance will get you big quicker.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by tooosh
I guess I can do hypertrophy on strength days. At either extreme (hypertrophy/strength split and bb split) which one would get the better results, considering on both styles progression on the big lifts is 2.5kg/week and maybe 5 on the deadlift? Or does it not matter really. In terms of the h/s split, Layne Nortons looks good but it's 5 day which I don't really want to do. A conventional bb split would be 4 day and would work, but I just don't know which one would be better.

I looked at intermediate strength programs but they don't fit my long term goals as much. Obviously lifting heavy will get you big but from what I know high rep assistance will get you big quicker.

I've been weighing up my options for post SS as well, lol.

I see alot of forum posts when I search Google of people advising trainee's to go onto other strength routines, even if the trainee insists he now wants to focus on aesthetics.

The Layne Norton routine is good, but again, I don't see the use for "power days" if you're just bothered about aesthetics. And I agree that 5 days is alot and is increase in volume after SS.
Reply 14
Original post by Dark Horse
I've been weighing up my options for post SS as well, lol.

I see alot of forum posts when I search Google of people advising trainee's to go onto other strength routines, even if the trainee insists he now wants to focus on aesthetics.

The Layne Norton routine is good, but again, I don't see the use for "power days" if you're just bothered about aesthetics. And I agree that 5 days is alot and is increase in volume after SS.

Are you only bothered about aesthetics? Personally I want both.
Reply 15
Original post by tooosh
Are you only bothered about aesthetics? Personally I want both.

Well yeah really. I don't want to compete in Powerlifting and I don't really need the strength for sports performance either.
Reply 16
Original post by Dark Horse
Well yeah really. I don't want to compete in Powerlifting and I don't really need the strength for sports performance either.

Fair enough I guess. I guess finishing SS will make you functionally stronger than anyone except powerlifters anyway.

I don't really have anything to go for after SS except aesthetics, but still I want to get stronger.
Reply 17
Boring but Big :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by SEHughes
Boring but Big :biggrin:

That looks insane. Definitely considering it!
Reply 19
Original post by tooosh
Fair enough I guess. I guess finishing SS will make you functionally stronger than anyone except powerlifters anyway.

LOL.

Quick Reply

Latest