The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 2 Edexcel, Exam- 23rd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by ShmangoBaby
You guys how did everyone find the paper?
It was actually not that bad :biggrin: much better than i expected it to be..

Yeah It was suprisingly easy :s not that im complaining....

What did u put for the iodine presence test in the multiple choice?
Reply 1101
Original post by YDQ
Yeah It was suprisingly easy :s not that im complaining....

What did u put for the iodine presence test in the multiple choice?

i put '+hexane=pink'.

What did you guys put for the question where alcohol was added to a halogenoalkane, was the product an alkene?
Reply 1102
I thought it was a pretty easy paper. Only thing was Section C was little harder than normal maybe. I'm thinking high grade boundaries to be honest...

What did everyone put for the very first multiple choice question?
Reply 1103
Original post by ice_man
i put '+hexane=pink'.

What did you guys put for the question where alcohol was added to a halogenoalkane, was the product an alkene?

If you're talking about the question I think you are, was it an elimination? I put that CH2=C(CH3)2 was formed...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ice_man
i put '+hexane=pink'.

yes
What did you write for the reason why ammonia having a pungent smell being an advantage?
I said it would prevent people from drinking it. :/
Reply 1106
Original post by ribenablob
What did you write for the reason why ammonia having a pungent smell being an advantage?
I said it would prevent people from drinking it. :/

I think it's just that it warns people it's there. Hopefully your answer conveyed that to some extent?
Reply 1107
Hey does anyone remember what the questions on the last page were after the dot and cross diagram of ammonia and how many there were because I don't think I answered them. Can you also tell me how many marks they were worrth? thanks
Reply 1108
Original post by ice_man
i put '+hexane=pink'.

Yeah I put the hexane pink thing as well, but why was it not the silver nitrate turns yellow? Yeah the answer for the other question was an alkene... i drew it out :s
In the the text it said ammonia was toxic - I think ?
So I put it would help any leaks to be discovered?

Un official Mark scheme anyone ?
Why was ammonia mixed with petrol? I didn't like the section C ..

and why does calcium nitrate form different products?
Reply 1111
Original post by YDQ
Yeah I put the hexane pink thing as well, but why was it not the silver nitrate turns yellow? Yeah the answer for the other question was an alkene... i drew it out :s

Pretty sure silver nitrate detects IONS, and we had molecules here.
Original post by 117r
Pretty sure silver nitrate detects IONS, and we had molecules here.

Yep, Hexane layer turns purple, right?
Did everyone put for the thermal stability question with group one and group 2 nitrates? And for the question about the shape of molecule Y ?

Original post by HARVEY123
Did everyone put for the thermal stability question with group one and group 2 nitrates? And for the question about the shape of molecule Y ?

I put both compounds decompose.

and the shape was tetrahedral.
Y is a tertiary carbocation.shape of molescule Y is trigonal planar,because it has three bond pairs.
SN1 mechanism and it OH is added by nucleophilic substitution.
Ozone is less harmful then chlorine as it forms oxygen after use
Original post by sylvestra45
Y is a tertiary carbocation.shape of molescule Y is trigonal planar,because it has three bond pairs.

that makes sense :/
Ammonia+oxygen=Nitrogen+Water(word equation form)

Quick Reply

Latest