The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
What did everyone write for the terminal velocity question and the stupid smoke detector/radon question?
Reply 261
Original post by Coco406
Force stays the same surely?
I said pressure decreases because force stays the same but area increases, and p=F/A

i'm not sure though!!
Reply 262
Original post by Coco406
What did everyone write for the terminal velocity question and the stupid smoke detector/radon question?

wat were the questions again?
Reply 263
Original post by NilFBosh
i'm not sure though!!

I just though force would remain constant because it is the weight of the 8 coins, and thus the weight on the whole table wouldn't change

EDIT:
The questions were what would happen if only 2 parachutes were opened instead of 3 etc, and why is radon gas more harmful than the solid in smoke alarms
Reply 264
Original post by Coco406
I just though force would remain constant because it is the weight of the 8 coins, and thus the weight on the whole table wouldn't change

EDIT:
The questions were what would happen if only 2 parachutes were opened instead of 3 etc, and why is radon gas more harmful than the solid in smoke alarms

i put force decreases...because in the previous pic the coins were on top of each other while in the 2nd pic they were all spread out...in the 1st pic each coin would exert a force on the other so the force kind of accumulates...i'm not sure...i just used logic...

if only 2 parachutes were opened the the time taken to reach constant wud be longer as the initial air resistance would be less and the acceleration would be more...but in the pic with 3 parachutes...the air resistant is more than the air resistance in the 2nd pic...so less time to reach constant velocity.

Radon gas is more harmful because it is present in air. Air is present everywhere. Smoke alarms are only activated when there is a fire...so it rarely occurs...but radon is present everywhere at everytime
Original post by Coco406
stupid smoke detector/radon question?

radon gas is present in the atmosphere and is in direct contact with people. Americium is in a smoke alarm and is prolly covered by a metal case. Alpha cannot penetrate paper and therefore cannot penetrate the case.

I wrote sumthing along those lines...
yeah, but in the third part of the question whats was the effect on the pressure? I put pressure decreases as force decreases and as area increases...Am i right?

Pressure=Force/Area
Force remains the same. Force applied onto the table by the coins due to their weight remains the same because g and their masses remain the same.
Therefore Pressure is inversely proportional to the Area.
Area increases by 8 times as the 8 coins are spread out.
Therefore pressure decreases by 8 times.
Reply 267
Original post by Relaxedexams
radon gas is present in the atmosphere and is in direct contact with people. Americium is in a smoke alarm and is prolly covered by a metal case. Alpha cannot penetrate paper and therefore cannot penetrate the case.

I wrote sumthing along those lines...

how do u know its covered in a metal case!
yeah, but in the third part of the question whats was the effect on the pressure? I put pressure decreases as force decreases and as area increases...Am i right?

Force doesnt decrease;stays the same.
Area increases and since pressure is inversely proportional to area, pressure decreases.
Reply 269
i put force decreases...because in the previous pic the coins were on top of each other while in the 2nd pic they were all spread out...in the 1st pic each coin would exert a force on the other so the force kind of accumulates...i'm not sure...i just used logic...

if only 2 parachutes were opened the the time taken to reach constant wud be longer as the initial air resistance would be less and the acceleration would be more...but in the pic with 3 parachutes...the air resistant is more than the air resistance in the 2nd pic...so less time to reach constant velocity.

Radon gas is more harmful because it is present in air. Air is present everywhere. Smoke alarms are only activated when there is a fire...so it rarely occurs...but radon is present everywhere at everytime

I'm not sure... you may be right!

That's what I wrote- more time taken to reach terminal velocity! BUT apparently it is that terminal velocity would be greater? So in the end it would be going faster with only two parachutes as opposed to 3- which does make sense :frown:

I said the same as you and also put that the alpha can't penetrate through the smoke detector as well
how do u know its covered in a metal case!

A smoke alarm is most probably covered by a case which is thicker than paper :P
And I dont think that the solid americium wud just be exposed to the atmosphere.

All alarms are covered by something right?
Reply 271
Force doesnt decrease;stays the same.
Area increases and since pressure is inversely proportional to area, pressure decreases.

i'm screwed
Reply 272
i put Radon gas is more harmful because it is present in air. Air is present everywhere. Smoke alarms are only activated when there is a fire...so it rarely occurs...but radon is present everywhere at anytime which is more of a risk.

And if ur doin ICT practical

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2010205

Hey was the question asking about the time they take to reach terminal velocity or the constant speed it travels during terminal velocity???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 274
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Hey was the question asking about the time they take to reach terminal velocity or the constant speed it travels after terminal velocity???

I don't think it was very clear- it just said how would it compare?

What did you write for it?
Original post by Coco406

That's what I wrote- more time taken to reach terminal velocity! BUT apparently it is that terminal velocity would be greater? So in the end it would be going faster with only two parachutes as opposed to 3- which does make sense :frown:

Terminal velocity in the one with 2 chutes is greater because the drag equals weight after a longer time when the speed is greater. It was for 2 marks, most prolly, 1 for longer time to achieve terminal velocity and 1 for greater terminal velocity.
Reply 276
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Hey was the question asking about the time they take to reach terminal velocity or the constant speed it travels during terminal velocity???

i dont remember...

and if u r doin ICT Practical

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2010205
Reply 277
Original post by Coco406
Force stays the same surely?
I said pressure decreases because force stays the same but area increases, and p=F/A

I said the exact same! :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by Coco406
I didn't do that! I found the power needed by dividing 6000000 by 180s (3 minutes) and it was more than 24kW so I said you needed an extra power source :s-smilie: oops

That's still completely correct. So you got 33.33kW?
Reply 279
Terminal velocity in the one with 2 chutes is greater because the drag equals weight after a longer time when the speed is greater. It was for 2 marks, most prolly, 1 for longer time to achieve terminal velocity and 1 for greater terminal velocity.

i put Radon gas is more harmful because it is present in air. Air is present everywhere. Smoke alarms are only activated when there is a fire...so it rarely occurs...but radon is present everywhere at anytime which is more of a risk.

And if ur doin ICT practical

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2010205

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending