The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Relaxedexams
Isn't aluminium a good conductor of heat? Shiny surfaces are bad absorbers and emitters of radiation but good reflectors?

That's only a 1 mark question so no marks if you say Yes or No. Maybe only 1 mark for the explanation, and their will be a bunch of possibilities.
Reply 381
Original post by sish2
Hey Guys! :biggrin:

What did you write for the question that asked us to judge whether or not we agreed with the kid who thought he could use aluminium foil as a blanket?

That question was referring to radiation; so as shiny surfaces are good reflecters and poor radiators, the heat given out from the body would be reflected back in and would not radiate out; it wasn't a practical question stating 'aluminium isn't very comfortable'. It loses some through conduction yes but its main property is that it prevents loss through radiation; thats why they wrap runners in shiny foil (some kinda material) after a race.
Reply 382
Original post by locklock2
ahh good how do you find it? we did a mock paper and i was really happy with it but i'm scared i'm being complacent and i'll mess it up somehow if I don't revise to it:tongue: ahh no we finished the maths igcse syllabus last year but they wouldn't let us do the gcse then so we're doing them both now:tongue: well i've already done the maths a week ago so just admaths left:smile: which topics in it do you find difficult(if any)?

Oh I did maths year and am doing this now :biggrin: I find it fun actually, a lot better than gcse! I find binomial expansion a bit tricky >< but thats fine, you?
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
That's only a 1 mark question so no marks if you say Yes or No. Maybe only 1 mark for the explanation, and their will be a bunch of possibilities.

1 mark?

I wrote I agree because shiny surfaces are bad emitters of radiation and therefore will not emit heat from the boy's body, preventing loss of heat. (Like in a kettle?) I wrote that based on jan 2012 p2 where athletes covered themselves with Al foil...
Reply 384
Original post by sahajkaur
That question was referring to radiation; so as shiny surfaces are good reflecters and poor radiators, the heat given out from the body would be reflected back in and would not radiate out; it wasn't a practical question stating 'aluminium isn't very comfortable'. It loses some through conduction yes but its main property is that it prevents loss through radiation; thats why they wrap runners in shiny foil (some kinda material) after a race.

oh ok i think i overcomplicated it! XD
Reply 385
THEY SHOULDA MADE IT 2 MARKS..... the aluminium foil question...
Reply 386
thing is I didn't only say 'it isn't comfortable' I said other things as welll....... -.-"
Like about reflection and insulation........
But i forgot about radiation :P
Sorry . What i meant to say was that shiny surfaces are bad absorbers of heat, bad emiters of heat and good reflectors . If we only wrote bad absorber of heat, we would still get the 1 mark ?
I think youll get the marks if youve given a valid explanation.
Virgil Aeneid II, Clodia, Pythius, Germanicus & Piso you?

wow the same.
how did u find the exam today?
Reply 390
Original post by pouloukos
Sorry . What i meant to say was that shiny surfaces are bad absorbers of heat, bad emiters of heat and good reflectors . If we only wrote bad absorber of heat, we would still get the 1 mark ?

no because ebing a bad absorber of heat has nothing to do with keeping the body warm :/
Reply 391
Original post by thetejmaster
wow the same.
how did u find the exam today?

I think it was good, straightforward :biggrin: but I didn't know what secum was >_<
I messed up the Latin so badly hahaha. Secum was with him. But all the bloody deberet and whatever just I couldn't do it hahaha. And all my answers were just bad hahaha :frown: ah well. Try better next time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 393
Original post by Graceyfave
I messed up the Latin so badly hahaha. Secum was with him. But all the bloody deberet and whatever just I couldn't do it hahaha. And all my answers were just bad hahaha :frown: ah well. Try better next time.

I wrote secluded for secum lol xD A guy has posted an official mark scheme here but some of its not correct, see my post:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2011913
Reply 394
Oh I did maths year and am doing this now :biggrin: I find it fun actually, a lot better than gcse! I find binomial expansion a bit tricky >< but thats fine, you?

ah that's lucky:tongue: yeah to be honest I find it soo fun that's why I'm doing Maths and Further Maths for A-level :tongue: yeah I find binomial expansion confusing sometimes when they word the question funny.. but I really hate the difficult angle question, like the weird shapes for 3D trig, I've always been bad with angles:tongue:
Reply 395
Physics was my best subject going into the GCSE season, I think that of all the exams I've done so far 1P is the only non A*. Very disappointing, lots of careless errors meaning I think I got 95/120, maybe 90/120. Waht do I need to get an A* in physics now? Is it still possible?
Reply 396
Original post by Debate
Physics was my best subject going into the GCSE season, I think that of all the exams I've done so far 1P is the only non A*. Very disappointing, lots of careless errors meaning I think I got 95/120, maybe 90/120. Waht do I need to get an A* in physics now? Is it still possible?

you can still easily get an A* ! It's normally only 70% and below so even with those scores you can get it! :smile:
you can still easily get an A* ! It's normally only 70% and below so even with those scores you can get it! :smile:

Agreed. Dont lose hope, still plenty of opportunity. You can get about 50-55 odd in 2p for a secure a*. Just be really careful checking :smile:

Original post by Debate

Yes..... Get full marks on 2P!! Or just get at least 50 or 60 marks to secure between 140 and 160 marks total which will give you 78% to 89%; both probably an A*, the lower bound still a likely A*. Also, think about which questions you would have lost marks on. Do these really compose a quarter of the total mark, or are you forgetting to bear in mind the easy questions that you just answered, shrugged off and forgot about in the test? It does you no good to overestimate the extent of your mistakes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App and also from an iPhone but not an iPad and why isn't it an iPod app?
I think it was good, straightforward :biggrin: but I didn't know what secum was >_<

Good same!! I guess you're aiming for an A*, so secum would be one of the only mistakes you made... assuming you checked through well ;P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App and also from an iPhone but not an iPad and why isn't it an iPod app?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending