The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
there was a lot of debate afterwards about the left hand rule question, which way was the current flowing?was the answer left or right for motion?
Reply 481
Original post by ProfJamz
there was a lot of debate afterwards about the left hand rule question, which way was the current flowing?was the answer left or right for motion?

the wire moved to the right :smile: and you dont even need the rule for that as the wires were all bunched up on the left which acts as a kind of spring in my head :tongue: hehe
Reply 482
Original post by sahajkaur
the wire moved to the right :smile: and you dont even need the rule for that as the wires were all bunched up on the left which acts as a kind of spring in my head :tongue: hehe

really? phew i was the only one out of my friends who said right, thankyou i feel better now :smile:
Reply 483
Original post by (◕ ‿ ▒r▀▀
Damn easy paper.......but ambiguous...what about the last question...?

For the penetrating powers of alpha and beta...what were they expecting?

The last question, if that was the one about the 2 cans being knocked over and him saying the travel at the same speed, I said no as you need a bigger force/speed of the cloth to get two cans to move at the same speed as the first, and he said he threw it at the same speed....I think I put something on those lines...
Any chance anyone can remember enough to compile a rough mark scheme?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 485
Original post by own
The last question, if that was the one about the 2 cans being knocked over and him saying the travel at the same speed, I said no as you need a bigger force/speed of the cloth to get two cans to move at the same speed as the first, and he said he threw it at the same speed....I think I put something on those lines...

Yeah the guy was incorrect also because velocity= momentum/mass, if the mass is greater and the momentum is the same, then the velocity must be slower..i think
Original post by Umackjiggles
It was showing 3 time periods so the frequency was 1/0.002 or whatever so the answer was 500Hz. What do people think the grade boundaries will be?

Hopefully 140/180 as a sharp maximum. The second exam didn't go that well.
Original post by Big-Daddy
Hopefully 140/180 as a sharp maximum. The second exam didn't go that well.

That high? I didn't find it hard but I thought it was, on the whole, on par with the january papers in terms of relative difficulty. I reckon I got around 160-165/180 so hopefully I'll be fine. What do you think the lower bound will be for the A* boundary?
Reply 488
Original post by Coco406
I really messed both physics papers up :frown:
What do people think the boundaries will be?

I feel that the grade boundaries will be relatively low. The first paper was much easier than the second one though; in comparison to other years the papers were difficult.
That high? I didn't find it hard but I thought it was, on the whole, on par with the january papers in terms of relative difficulty. I reckon I got around 160-165/180 so hopefully I'll be fine. What do you think the lower bound will be for the A* boundary?

Surely not the January 2012? I thought it was around the same as the June 2011.

I'm always incredibly pessimistic in my self-marking, so I wouldn't know. If it sticks to 140/180 then I can be fairly certain of an A* (although I might have got 170/180 or even slightly higher - probably not) . I wouldn't like to guess a lower bound. :tongue:
Original post by Big-Daddy
Surely not the January 2012? I thought it was around the same as the June 2011.

I'm always incredibly pessimistic in my self-marking, so I wouldn't know. If it sticks to 140/180 then I can be fairly certain of an A* (although I might have got 170/180 or even slightly higher - probably not) . I wouldn't like to guess a lower bound. :tongue:

Haha fair enough :smile: , I reckon I got around about 113-115/120 in paper one and ~56-57/60 in paper 2 because of that stupid radiation question :mad: I talked about the ionizing force, the rate and frequency of absorption, what materials they pass through and nothing else :frown: . How many marks do you think I would get for that?
Reply 491
Haha fair enough :smile: , I reckon I got around about 113-115/120 in paper one and ~56-57/60 in paper 2 because of that stupid radiation question :mad: I talked about the ionizing force, the rate and frequency of absorption, what materials they pass through and nothing else :frown: . How many marks do you think I would get for that?

i reckon 3 or 4? sounds good enough
i reckon 3 or 4? sounds good enough

Lol guys come on, it doesn't matter. That's obviously an a*

Reply 493
Original post by Graceyfave
Lol guys come on, it doesn't matter. That's obviously an a*

agreed! but it should be fine, the first paper makes up for the second and the second wasnt THAT bad (admit it :wink: ) so dont worry :smile:
Reply 494
but these papers were dodgy compared to past papers
Reply 495
but these papers were dodgy compared to past papers

yeah so thats why im saying dont worry as grade boundaries will be lower
Original post by sahajkaur
yeah so thats why im saying dont worry as grade boundaries will be lower

I hope so. Dodgy questions got me on the second paper :/
Does anyone have the mk? If so upload it here this instant

Quick Reply

Latest