The Student Room Group

Does the highest mark always count?

This is essentially a two-part question, so I'll separate it:

1) I'm resitting some AS modules I did last year, I already resat them in January and got the mark I needed for uni, but I decided to resit them again (so I'll be taking them for the 3rd time) to try and get the highest UMS marks so in the case I mess up my A2 coursework or exam I'll have a safety net!

So my question is, if I mess these re-resits up, will I get to keep the higher marks I got in January when they give me my overall grade in August?

2) I've often heard people say, "you always keep the highest mark", the reason I'm confused about this is that my firm university has insisted I resit my exams from two of my A-levels last year in order to get the same grades as I got last year. If you always keep the highest mark, wouldn't I still keep my original grade even if I completely failed this year?

So confused, any help would be amazing :smile:
Reply 1
Actually, I'm also curious as to whether anyone else has had their university insist upon this? Apparently I've gotten tangled between two policies which is why I need to re-get the same grades. It seems like a massive waste of money and time to me, and also pretty odd. :rolleyes: Most universities prefer you to get the required grade your first time sitting it, surely?

Anyone else have/had this problem?
Reply 2
Original post by Premium
This is essentially a two-part question, so I'll separate it:

1) I'm resitting some AS modules I did last year, I already resat them in January and got the mark I needed for uni, but I decided to resit them again (so I'll be taking them for the 3rd time) to try and get the highest UMS marks so in the case I mess up my A2 coursework or exam I'll have a safety net!

So my question is, if I mess these re-resits up, will I get to keep the higher marks I got in January when they give me my overall grade in August?

2) I've often heard people say, "you always keep the highest mark", the reason I'm confused about this is that my firm university has insisted I resit my exams from two of my A-levels last year in order to get the same grades as I got last year. If you always keep the highest mark, wouldn't I still keep my original grade even if I completely failed this year?

So confused, any help would be amazing :smile:

1) You will always keep the highest mark! 100% If you get higher in your 3rd resit well done - you keep that mark

if you dont then you have your back up from resit 1 or 2

----- Unis , Tend to dislike , more re sits .. e.g If a person does 1 compared to 5? Do you understand , thats why they tend yo say Resist less --- But No worries ( Only TOP TOP Oxford etc say this) Resit and good luck :smile: All the best! Im sure you will get higher - !

Quick Reply

Latest