The Student Room Group

Stuck deciding A-levels?

Hi all,

I've always thought of myself as a more artsy person and so I chose English Lit, Economics, Geography and History at A-level (no maths...:s-smilie:) but I feel like I'm regretting that decision. I have spoken to the person at my school in charge of handling A-level admissions and they said that at this point in time it's ok if I want to change them.
The reason for this is that I haven't been enjoying History or English much over GCSEs but I thought that was mainly to do with my teachers (because I've enjoyed them throughout Years 7/8/9). I didn't do Economics GCSE but I thought it would be something I would like. Geography, however, is definitely my favourite subject.
I've come to realise (or think) that I don't enjoy analysing texts or using sources anymore, and I just really want to learn about the way things work. So this has lead me to consider the sciences. I'm taking Maths, Additional Maths (OCR), and all three sciences at GCSEs and predicted A* in all but Admaths. I have never really thought of myself as a science-y person but over Years 10 and 11 I feel that I have enjoyed the sciences the most apart from Geography. Now, having done some research things like Civil or Environmental Engineering seem attractive to me- I want to solve problems in everyday life and come up with solutions that benefit people. I enjoy working in a team too, if that helps.

Sorry for all the text, but I'll get to the point. I want to completely change my A-levels to something like Geography, Maths, Physics and Chemistry (can someone tell me if Physics is compulsory for Engineering degrees? I was under the impression that it was). The main thing holding me back is that I have never considered myself as a scientist and so this change of heart feels...weird. :colondollar: Is it normal for someone to want to change their A-levels like this and how can I feel like I'm as passionate about it as the people who have preferred the sciences their whole life? I go to a selective school with high exam results so I'm feeling like I'm a little out of my depth against the numerous people set on medicine and engineering etc.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Eddie
Hiya,

It's completely normal to want to change your mind at this point. In fact, a lot of people get their GCSE results in August and decide to change their options even then!

To me, Geography appears to be a definite choice for you. Economics is very enjoyable from my own experience (and it does actually link in to Human geography quite a bit at A2). Just to be sure, go and speak to the Head of Economics at your school, and get them to go over the specification for you, and check that you will really enjoy it! In my opinion, economics is more a skill that your learn - but you really need that interest in current economic affairs etc.

As for maths and sciences, it is likely that everyone hear will advise you to do maths. Again, it completely comes down to your capabilities and interest in the subject. If you think you could manage putting in a few hours extra a week then your classmates then it would definitely be worth doing - it just opens the doors for so many university courses, and for future jobs.

You said that you're doing really well in science, which is brilliant, but don't forget AS&A2 are a lot more challenging than GCSE, to undertake a science you need to have that natural interest in the subject. Think about it a bit more, and don't forget you could drop it after AS to leave Eco/Geog/Maths for A2.

I see you mentioned engineering degrees, to me it would appear that maths and physics would be essential for this; however I don't really have any idea if it's compulsory - so hopefully some other lovely person could help us out :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks, that's some great info :smile:

I'm perfectly happy to take Maths A-level, and can see its importance!
I have been told how much a step up the A-level sciences are from the GCSEs (and the other subjects, for that matter) but I believe that my interest in the subjects and willingness to learn is enough that I can keep up with others in my class.

Imperial College have Physics down as compulsory- I'm sure many other top universities have too, but there will probably be some that won't aswell.
While I won't have any work experience related to science this year, I will try my best to find some in Year 12. I suppose that now it's probably worth asking some engineering students what it is like for them, and how certain they were at my age :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest