The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 1 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
For the one about the drug and coeliac disease and why they should think before they give it to patients.
Could you put long term effects and if the side-effects outweigh the benefits?
Reply 41
Original post by billybobs
Its out of 60

Thats what I mean.
47/48 out of 60 for the A
Reply 42
yes
Reply 43
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
ph8 tube, enzyme breaks down starch into amylase reducing water potential in tube, water moves in, so tube B solution is higher

doesn't amylase break down starch into maltose
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
6B is definately

ph8 worked better with amylase so more maltose is produced so the water potential in B (ph 8) is decreased. ph2 was less efficient so less maltose was produced than in B, the water outside entered the partially permiable membrane by osmosis to flatten the concentration gradient as there were more molecules in B, more water entered B making the water level higher than A

hydrolysis of starch create more molecule. osmosis is about concentration gradients. if there is a higher concentration solution in B then more water will enter.
Reply 45
Original post by dhillon1
doesn't amylase break down starch into glucose

no into maltose. then maltase into glucose.
Reply 46
Original post by MediterraneanX
Do you think you'd still get two marks for saying the the first two bits without talking about osmosis (yes i'm an idiot)

osmosis would only be worth one of the marks, so u should get some, yea.
Reply 47
Original post by dhillon1
yeah thats what i meant maltose :smile:.
you said the enzyme breaks down starch into amylase?

i didnt say anything, u werent replying to me :wink:
I didn't write about osmosis either, even tho I read the partially permeable membrane bit :facepalm:
I think 5a was something like using the graph, describe the effect of cyanide on the uptake of sodium ions, but I don't think they actually used the world describe. Maybe determine?
Do you think you'd still get two marks for saying the the first two bits without talking about osmosis (yes i'm an idiot)

yeah you would, osmosis would be the final mark.
Reply 51
Original post by bad8oy
dont you mean amylase breaks down starch into glucose?????

maltose*
Original post by bad8oy

it breaks it down to maltose
Reply 53
I think 5a was something like using the graph, describe the effect of cyanide on the uptake of sodium ions, but I don't think they actually used the world describe. Maybe determine?

2 marks.

one would be for it slowed the rate of reaction
other would be for reduced the number of ions that could be absorbed.
I thought the peptide question would be that it cant be transported my facilitated diffusion because it can't bind to co-transport protiens as it doesnt have the complementary shape? So the co-transport proteins wont let it through..
Reply 55
it breaks it down to maltose

woops i messed that question up aswell then :frown: and question 7 screwed me. :'(
Original post by britash
For the one about the drug and coeliac disease and why they should think before they give it to patients.
Could you put long term effects and if the side-effects outweigh the benefits?

Do you mean the things they'd have to consider? I put the long term effects and whether they're immuno-depressed (pretty sure that was wrong - go me for regurgitating previous mark schemes). Usually they accept age, ethnicity etc but I couldn't really see how that was relevant in this case?
Original post by bad8oy

yeah lmao xD
Reply 58
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
I thought the peptide question would be that it cant be transported my facilitated diffusion because it can't bind to co-transport protiens as it doesnt have the complementary shape? So the co-transport proteins wont let it through..

co transporters arent used in diffusion. only in active transport. if it asked bout diffusion its wrong.
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy

I think that might be one of the marks - I reckon they may be quite flexible on it as it says in the text that the microvilli and epithelial cells are destroyed so the cell-surface membrane wouldn't function as well/at all for example the protein carriers and protein channels would be destroyed. Could be either I suppose. I found all the questions and answers really vague.

Edit: agree with above that co-transport isn't used but they might give you a sympathy mark if the proteins weren't complimentary to the protein carriers/channels
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending