The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Union shares platform with anti-semitic fascists

In light of the LUU's affliation with the Muslim Association of Britain, do prospective and current Leeds students believe sharing a platform with anti-semitic and homophobic fascists is in the spirit of the Union's policy to fight fascism and promote tolerance and diversity?

For those unaware of views held by the Muslim Association of Britain, whom are surely not representative of mainstream Muslim opinion, here are some examples.

Dr Azzam Tamimi, one of MAB's leading figures, "If they[Jews] want to be as human as anybody else, Jews must wake up before it is too late. Israel is their number one liability and Zionism is no honorable cause for any respectable human being...Indeed, they have nothing before or behind them except the sea. Either they sail on it in ships back to whence they came, or drown in it. For us Muslims, martyrdom is not the end of things but the beginning of the most wonderful of things" http://www.ii-pt.com/web/articles/anti.htm

"Well, if I can go to Palestine and sacrifice myself, I would do it. Why not?" http://www.geocities.com/martinkrame...miHardtalk.htm

Sayyid Qutb, an Egyptian scholar, wrote in his essay Our struggle with the Jews that Jews have been punished for their 'unprecedented abominations', but 'then the Jews again returned to evildoing and consequently Allah sent against them others of His servants, until the modern period. Then Allah sent Hitler to rule over them."

"Qutb, born in 1906, dedicated his life to making the world a fundamentalist Islamic state, and is seen as the spiritual inspiration of al-Qaeda. He is also promoted by the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), our most active Islamic political group. The MAB has on its website a glowing account of Qutb’s life, concluding that he died smiling 'showing his conviction of the beautiful life to come in paradise — a life he definitely and rightfully deserved'.

On its website, MAB has equated Israel with Nazi Germany. The Internet Watch Foundation (a partnership between the Government and service providers) has referred the website — along with that of the BNP — to the Home Office for containing allegedly criminally racist material. The MAB says that it is opposed to anti-Semitism, but this is as convincing as the British National Party’s saying it is opposed to racism.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...210886,00.html

Whatsmore, the Union is also affiliated with the RESPECT party,

Dr Mohammed Naseem, Respect party candidate, is a member of the Islamic Party of Britain, which calls for an Islamic caliphate. Their site also rules out “intermarriage” between people of different religions, praises the Taliban for establishing “protection for ordinary people” in Afghanistan and advocates the death penalty for public displays of “homosexual lewdness”, which it compares to paedophilia.

With this in mind, is the LUU's affliation with such bodies consistent with their desire to promote the following policies(as per their online policy document), http://www.luuonline.com/files/newsite/policy_document.doc

- "Our university and college campuses should reflect Britain’s diverse society in order that we can encourage the principles of tolerance, understanding and acceptance."

- To condemn bigotry, homophobia, racism, sexism and prejudice from any other source.

- To have a no platform policy for all known racists and fascists at all Union events and property.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LUU has a very clear no platform policy. It has stood up to the BNP (at recent court hearings in Leeds) amongst other things eg the recent news about lecturers (http://www.luuonline.com/exec/press). LUU has a very pro-active Interfaith forum, which all faiths represented in LUU attend. In May there will be an interfaith awareness day.

If you have any concerns email one of the exec officers (http://www.luuonline.com/exec) rather than posting it on here.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
WAMS
LUU has a very clear no platform policy. It has stood up to the BNP (at recent court hearings in Leeds) amongst other things eg the recent news about lecturers (http://www.luuonline.com/exec/press). LUU has a very pro-active Interfaith forum, which all faiths represented in LUU attend. In May there will be an interfaith awareness day.

If you have any concerns email one of the exec officers (http://www.luuonline.com/exec) rather than posting it on here.

I'm very much aware of its no platform policy, which is why Im interested to know why its sharing one with anti-semitic, homophobic fascists.

My concerns relate to the welfare and interest of Leeds University students, this forum is thus appropriate.
Reply 3
I believe from reading their policy document their no-platform policy also extends to Sexism, and considering this, how can they at the same time have links with Islam at all, considering the obscene double-standards it displays regarding sex.
Another significant part of this document considers the protection of LGBT students - considering the majority of religions condemn all forms of homosexual activity, as Vienna has already outlined with the testimony of Dr Mohammed Naseem, how can the Union bare to be associated with people holding these prejudices?

This is a clear case of double standards - In our country it is wrongly seen as a taboo to accuse someone of an ethnic minority of racism, same as it is deemed as wrong to henous to criticise their religions, whereas the Union operates a clear policy of discrimination towards those who belong to the BNP, quoting guilt by association to be sufficient.

This seems to me to be a deplorable case of the union in question evading debate in order to continue their own sheltered existence where they dont have to confront those who are willing to question their opinions.
I'm sure many of you will have heard a representive for the Union, Hanif Leylabi, getting embarrased on BBC radio 5 on wednesday morning for his immature attitude towards the case of Dr. Ellis, who realistically is only guilty of presenting a theory to his class - the fact he believes it is irrelevant, and the response of Leeds students to call for his immedeate redundancy is another indicator of them running scared when confronted with an opinion contrary to their own
Reply 4
How is the LUU affiliated to MAB?

If Vienna is truly worried, then why didn't she complain before rather than doing it as a reaction to the campaign I initiated to have him sacked?

As someone who has experience of studying at Leeds University as well as being very politically active on campus, I can say that the Muslim community only adds to the diverse atmosphere we have.

There are no problems between the Isoc and LGBT Soc.

To suggest the LUU should have no links with Islam at all is Islamophobic in the extreme. Do you propose banning the Isoc and barring Muslims from campus? Or do you just want them to have to stand at the front of the class wearing a crescent and star patch as their tutor explains how their religion makes them bad people???

I am not a representative for LUU and I have never made that comment. I am a representative for UAF on campus. The only person embarassed on R5L was Munira Mirza who sees no problem in lecturers giving speeches on the inferiority of blacks to white supremacists conference, calling for immigrants to be hunted down, rounded up and deported and who denies that race related crimes are increasing.

The situation at the University of Leeds is an example of someone putting their views forward, the students analysing and dicussing his views, and coming to the conclusion that they are so abhorrent that he must be removed from his position.

This is what democracy looks like.
Reply 5
Person
How is the LUU affiliated to MAB?

Its affliated to the Stop the War coalition, which includes the MAB.

As someone who has experience of studying at Leeds University as well as being very politically active on campus, I can say that the Muslim community only adds to the diverse atmosphere we have.

To suggest the LUU should have no links with Islam at all is Islamophobic in the extreme. Do you propose banning the Isoc and barring Muslims from campus? Or do you just want them to have to stand at the front of the class wearing a crescent and star patch as their tutor explains how their religion makes them bad people???

No, I want you to cease to affliate with anti-semitic, homophobic fascists that dont represent ordinary Muslims, who breach practically every policy in the LUU policy document and make Dr.Ellis look like a model citizen.

The situation at the University of Leeds is an example of someone putting their views forward, the students analysing and dicussing his views, and coming to the conclusion that they are so abhorrent that he must be removed from his position.

This is what democracy looks like.

The students being a minority, in this case the LUU, without entering into rational debate, use smears and 'guilt by association' to discredit a lecturer. As you well know, no evidence of discrimination has been claimed, demonstrated or proven.

The same students, the LUU and yourself, ban anyone with links to the BNP(an extreme but legitimate political party) from the Union or from enjoying their full rights as Leeds students. What perverted idea of democracy is that?

Since you found his views abhorrent, I'm thus interested to know how you dont find the ideas of your own RESPECT party abhorrent. Dr Mohammed Naseem, Respect party candidate, is a member of the Islamic Party of Britain, which calls for an Islamic caliphate...

Sounds like a multicultural, tolerant chap.

Their site also rules out “intermarriage” between people of different religions, praises the Taliban for establishing “protection for ordinary people” in Afghanistan and advocates the death penalty for public displays of “homosexual lewdness”, which it compares to paedophilia.

Death penalty for homosexuals?

That the Stop the War Coalition should have allowed the Muslim Association of Britain to be a partner organisation is disgraceful, given the MAB's support for sharia law (with its disregard for women's and gay rights), its belief that Muslims who renounce their faith should be put to death, and its calls for the state of Israel to be abolished.

So support for anti-semitic, homophobic fascists "adds to the diverse atmosphere we have", but when a lecturer draws conclusions from academic IQ surveys(that you yourself have declared to not be racist) that show average black IQ is lower than average white IQ, he must be sacked?

Shame on you and the LUU.
Reply 6
So the University is not affiliated to MAB. Another lie.

No, I want you to cease to affliate with anti-semitic, homophobic fascists that dont represent ordinary Muslims, who breach practically every policy in the LUU policy document and make Dr.Ellis look like a model citizen.
Once more, Leeds Uni is not affiliated to MAB.

What is your interpretation of Sharia law? I
Reply 7

What is your interpretation of Sharia law?

Vienna - Why don't you email MAB and Dr. Naseem to hear their views rather than cobbling together vague quotes not directly connected to Dr. Naseem and labelling MAB as anti semitic with no evidence and calling it homophobic simp;y because you believe all Muslims are homophobic.

Your understanding of this issue is extremely poor. You have not read what he hassaid, you have been given one comment. He has also said that gays should be weeded out of society and that immigrants should be hunted down, rounded up an deported. Is this what he means by humane?
Reply 8
Person

I said the LUU, not the University. The LUU is affliated to a coalition of bodies. Among them is the MAB. Its a very simple concept.

What is your interpretation of Sharia law?

Vienna - Why don't you email MAB and Dr. Naseem to hear their views rather than cobbling together vague quotes not directly connected to Dr. Naseem and labelling MAB as anti semitic with no evidence and calling it homophobic simp;y because you believe all Muslims are homophobic.

Im astonished you keep denying that the MAB is not anti-semitic. I find it absolutely appalling that yourself and the LUU can defend such comments while pretending that you stand for tolerance and diversity.

A full set of links can be found here. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=4127258&postcount=276

Dr. Tamimi: "If they[Jews] want to be as human as anybody else, Jews must wake up before it is too late. Either they sail on it in ships back to whence they came, or drown in it."

Dr. al-Qaradawi: “Oh God, destroy the usurper Jews, the vile crusaders and infidels".

"Their spokesman, a spirited and talkative young man called Anas Altikriti, stated perfectly clearly, that his organisation’s plan to march on the 28th, a plan settled for some months, was ‘to mark the second anniversary of the Intifada’. Just in case you don’t know what this means, the Intifada is the name of the process in which young Palestinian men and (now) women, pack
explosives around their waists, walk into busyshopping areas and restaurants and kill Jews."

Dr. Tamimi: "Well, if I can go to Palestine and sacrifice myself, I would do it. Why not?"

- Sayyid Qutb, an Egyptian scholar, promoted by the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), wrote in his essay Our struggle with the Jews that Jews have been punished for their 'unprecedented abominations', but 'then the Jews again returned to evildoing and consequently Allah sent against them others of His servants, until the modern period. Then Allah sent Hitler to rule over them.

- "On its website, MAB has equated Israel with Nazi Germany. The Internet Watch Foundation (a partnership between the Government and service providers) has referred the website — along with that of the BNP — to the Home Office for containing allegedly criminally racist material."

- That the Stop the War Coalition should have allowed the Muslim Association of Britain to be a partner organisation is disgraceful, given the MAB's support for sharia law (with its disregard for women's and gay rights), its belief that Muslims who renounce their faith should be put to death, and its calls for the state of Israel to be abolished.

- On his website, al-Qaradawi advocates the killing of 'perverted' homosexuals, defends husbands who beat.. their wives and questions the innocence of rape victims. Al-Qaradawi is, furthermore, an out-and-out antisemite: defending not only the murder of Israeli civilians in suicide bombings but also looking forward to the day of judgement when 'Muslims will fight the Jews and kill them'.

Its quite clear what the IPB believes, http://www.mustaqim.co.uk/ipb-archive/question/ans41.htm

and since Dr.Naseem is the Executive Officer for the IPB, http://www.mustaqim.co.uk/ipb-archive/people/muhammad.htm

I thought you might find it of concern since you're sharing a platform with anti-semitic, homophobic fascists. That would put you and the LUU at odds with the LUU No Platform policy for precisely the sort of people you support. Are you still claiming they "add to the diverse atmosphere we have"? If so, why not Dr.Ellis?
Reply 9
I said the LUU, not the University. The LUU is affliated to a coalition of bodies. Among them is the MAB. Its a very simple concept.
LUU is not affiliated to MAB you idiot. Both the Green Party and RESPECT are affiliated to the StWC. Does that mean The Green Party is affiliated to RESPECT???

Only a couple of those quotes can be in any way constrewed as anti semitic.

And those are comments made by people not in MAB.

Qardawi has also said that no Muslim can discriminate against gays and that no respectable Muslim man beats his wife. He was also met in London, on a recent visit, by a delegation of Orthodox Jews.

In regard to Anas, I will literally be sharing a platform with him on Tuesday. :smile:
Reply 10
Person
LUU is not affiliated to MAB you idiot. Both the Green Party and RESPECT are affiliated to the StWC. Does that mean The Green Party is affiliated to RESPECT???

Yes, if they belong to the coalition. If you affliate to a coalition, you affliate to the members of the coalition, since they make up that body. Thats what a coalition is.

"Affliate - To become closely connected or associated"

All three are also sharing the same platform, which is precisely the sort of basis the LUU is using to attack Frank Ellis. It also finds them in breach of their own 'No Platform' policy. Sharing a platform is now acceptable?

Only a couple of those quotes can be in any way constrewed as anti semitic.
Qardawi has also said that no Muslim can discriminate against gays and that no respectable Muslim man beats his wife. He was also met in London, on a recent visit, by a delegation of Orthodox Jews.

And those are comments made by people not in MAB.

In regard to Anas, I will literally be sharing a platform with him on Tuesday. :smile:

- A prominent MAB figure calls Jews inferior and you're indifferent.
- You seek to defend an anti-semite and homophobe.
- You boast of sharing a platform with a man who celebrates suicide bombing against innocent Jews.
- You refer to Jewish settlers as a "cancer"
- You represent a party with a candidate who believes homsexuality should be punishable with the death penalty.

But Frank Ellis raises the plausability that, according to IQ surveys, blacks, whites and asians may not be intellectual equal, and you want him to resign.
This is an interesting topic. I don't have any connection to either Judaism or Islam so I consider myself somewhat impartial, although I have attended stuff run by the Stop The War/Respect group(s?) on campus before. I didn't know about their links with these extreme groups - and yeah, I believe that's a link. I'm with Vienna on this one, it's a double standard to ban links to the BNP but allow equally tenuous ones to exist that defy LUU policy. Nobody is saying "ban all Muslims", but at the same time, why do BNP representatives have to be silenced when "hate preachers" such as the guy mentioned above are allowed to be linked to the LUU?

With regards to Ellis, the guy is a bit of a fool for sharing his views in such a public manner, but he's entitled to have them. It made me laugh to read the letters in Friday's Leeds Student, most of them read (almost literally) "I believe in freedom of speech, but..". There's always the 'but', and in this case it negates the argument. He's entitled to his views, however much the moral majority (myself included) disagree. I think the man needs to stop mentioning them in lectures purely because he will (if he hasn't already) lose all credibility as a teacher, but he shouldn't be sacked for holding them. Unless people can prove that he's actually trying to force students into adopting his belief, or he is discriminating in his teaching against said minorities (which, incidentally, the university itself has been accused of doing in their exam marking), then his job should stay. People want a figure to focus their hatred on and here he is.
Reply 12
Why will his mentioning of the issues lose their credibility? They might be seen as a taboo topic in the ridiculously PC climate that labour has cultured in our country, but they are also supported by a lot of evidence - From a purely scientific perspective it is a well founded theorem. Also, Dr Ellis did not stipulate the cause of this variation, and considering his specialisation he has no place to do so, but everyone seems to be assuming he sees black people as genetically inferior.

But - bar that, I agree - a significant amount of hypocracy has been demonstrated by leeds students - a wealth of which Vienna has highlighted, and I personally cannot take them as a serious body whilst they continue in the same vein.

Also - a quote of Voltaire, in my book, is a clear sign that you dont truly understand the issues.
I mean that, if he continues to talk about his belief in these theories, combined with the articles in the Leeds Student, more and more people are going to believe the hype and stop taking him seriously. There's calls to boycott his lectures, so I mean that for his own sake, he should just drop the subject unless it's relevant or nobody will show up to / pay attention in his lectures.

Who quoted Voltaire?
Reply 14
Why should he? It is a valid theory, and hence shall be taught - i'm sure he doesn't believe in other theories, but that does not mean he should lecture those in preference.
The whole point of university is developing the ability to summise for yourself the evidence placed infront of you, and hence the inherent immaturity that is being shown by these students when there are many well know arguments in place to rebuke the theorem should they wish to follow the intellectual path.
If they chose to boycott his lectures they really are foolish - if he preaches his faith through them, then you would think that these students would be sufficiently intelligent to process the evidence presented.

You mentioned people in the student papers quoting Voltaire then crossing their path...as I said - A quote of voltaire is normally a sign of ignorance and stepping away from the argument in a similar but more mature nature than branding someone a racist because they disagree with your principles.
Reply 15
Yes, if they belong to the coalition. If you affliate to a coalition, you affliate to the members of the coalition, since they make up that body. Thats what a coalition is.

"Affliate - To become closely connected or associated"

All three are also sharing the same platform, which is precisely the sort of basis the LUU is using to attack Frank Ellis. It also finds them in breach of their own 'No Platform' policy. Sharing a platform is now acceptable?
That's absolutely rubbish. To suggest the Green Party and RESPECT are affiliated because they are both in StWC is simply laughable.

He didn't say they were inferior. I do believe what he said was anti semitic though and I condemn what he said though I'd like you to write to him to clarify his exact views.

The Intifadha is a struggle against an illegal occupation. I do not support suicide bombings but I understand why they occur and they are not the only aspect of an intifadha.

What's wrong with describing Jewish settlers as a cancer?

Again, write to Dr. Naseem and ask him if he supports the murder of gay people.

Or are you afraid you'll realise he's not supportive of that?
Reply 16
Hi guitar, can I ask you which StWC and RESPECT events you've attended? :smile:

Also, which man are you talking about and how is he linked to LUU?
Reply 17
Person
That's absolutely rubbish. To suggest the Green Party and RESPECT are affiliated because they are both in StWC is simply laughable.

So how is Frank Ellis affliated with American Renaissance, the KKK and Neo-Nazi groups?

He didn't say they were inferior. I do believe what he said was anti semitic though and I condemn what he said

He said they were sub human. You believe of lesser intelligence is to imply inferiority, yet sub-human is not?

Will you call on the LUU to stop sharing a platform with this man?

The Intifadha is a struggle against an illegal occupation. I do not support suicide bombings but I understand why they occur and they are not the only aspect of an intifadha.

I'm afraid you share a platform with a man that does.

Again, write to Dr. Naseem and ask him if he supports the murder of gay people.

Or are you afraid you'll realise he's not supportive of that?

Why not write to Dr.Frank Ellis and ask if he discriminates against black students? Or are you and the LUU afraid that he'll answer as he did in the very same Radio 5 program you appeared on?

"Would you discriminate against a black student in one of your lectures?"
" Oh, god no"

Hypocrisy at every turn.
Reply 18
Person

But links surprisingly well to your argument - As your Union sets out, connection with the BNP despite proxy for activity will result in your removal.

He didn't say they were inferior. I do believe what he said was anti semitic though and I condemn what he said though I'd like you to write to him to clarify his exact views.

Dr Ellis did not say Black people were inferior - just have an averagely lower IQ.
bikerx23
Why should he? It is a valid theory, and hence shall be taught - i'm sure he doesn't believe in other theories, but that does not mean he should lecture those in preference.

You're missing my point - I'm not debating whether or not he should be "allowed" to teach these theories, I'm just saying that the more he mentions them, the more he's gonna get it in the neck from the Union/Leeds Student/his students themselves.

As for Voltaire, I didn't realise I was quoting him. Or are you talking about the "I do not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it is" attitude?

Person
Hi guitar, can I ask you which StWC and RESPECT events you've attended? :smile:

Also, which man are you talking about and how is he linked to LUU?

Haha, the truth comes out, I only went to the Galloway talk but I did intend to go to some of the others (Chomsky) and I do keep track of what goes on on campus.

I was referring to Dr Mohammed Naseem, and I think he's connected in the way that Vienna suggested.

Latest