The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by JimmyGatz
Can someone please give me a 4 day split gym routine which focuses on compound exercises? I've heard these are the best for building muscle, but I'm not sure which exercises I should do, which days I should do them and how many reps of each I should do. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-maximum-mass-workout
Original post by JimmyGatz
They don't focus much on coy pound exercises? I don't think lol. Is the routine I posted any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only clicked on the first link that guy posted, but it's mostly based around compound lifts. So...?
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'll ask anyway.

Recently bought weights and I want to start strength training - but I don't have a bench or a pull up bar so can't do exercises that involve those things i.e. bench press, pull ups, etc. I'm a total beginner so I was wondering if someone could give me a list of the 'core' exercises I should include in my workouts, or, even better, link me to a website that has a good routine for beginners? Sets and reps would also be appreciated! I've researched this for hours but I don't know which sites I should use as they tell me different things (not to mention most are geared for people who actually go to the gym as opposed to people who want to workout at home).

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:
I haven't been going for long (few months) and was a total beginner too.. but I definitely recommend doing compound and core exercises such as sit ups, push ups, squats and deadlifts, lunges - things that you can generally do without much equipment. I started on 3 sets of 10-12 reps and slowly progressed to adding another set. If you can buy one thing I definately recommend TRX too, as at this stage for me it has been invaluable :smile:
A little background, I used to be a competitive swimmer, ~50km a week with early mornings! I'm 6ft 2, skinny build (ate a LOT though - seriously I really did, I just have a crazily high metabolism so never put on weight). I weight around 10 stone and I have fluctuated by around 2lbs for 2 years (even when training 8x weekly and after I quit).

In terms of my body type, my legs are fine - I know what excersies to do for legs, but in terms of upper body (which I really need help with) I am unsure of the best stuff to do and how many reps and at what weight etc. I'm serious about this and as by the swimming, will commit to it and I have a lot of spare time so if I was to do this to my best ability, how much time/day would be best? I was thinking once every day?

I was wondering if any other (in particular skinny) people have any advice to share. I'm kicking myself for not stopping exercise pretty much (trampoline a little but lets be honest its not exactly killing me) for 1 year.
I'm wondering if protein shakes/supplements are worth it?
Thanks in advance :smile:
So I'm new to this thread..
I wouldn't consider myself fat but I'm not thin...
I've been trying to lose weight especially around my thighs.. as a girl how can I really slim them down as all my fat seems to go there without bulking by mistake. I've started running 3-4 times a week and try to do pilate style thigh exercises.
Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 827
Right guys i'm 18 years old
5 ft 8
Only weigh 55 kg
and so I recently started exercising 3 times a week.

This is my routine

1) Wake up do yoga - this includes 2 basic stretches - touch the ground and ceiling for flexibility

2) Meditation + slow deep breaths for 3 minutes - remove stress
you can ignore this bit haha, just thought, i'd mention it :smile:

Now for my lifting routine

I currently lift 5kg dumbells since I hurt my elbows before and am taking it nice and slow.

My routine is standing dumbell press 12 reps - 5 times

10kg dumbells bicep curls 5 reps - 4/5 times

Lift 1 10kg deumbell by it's external handels and lie on the floor and do chest press on the floor. (started that yesterday)

I do about 40 push ups and can increase them as I go along

I can run about 800m every day, but stopped since I'm at work and not really into the whole "leg day" thing as long as my chest looks nice.

I can also do about 4 pull ups and 5 sit ups with my legs dangling from the pull up bar - trust me it hurts - try it out some time :wink:

My aim is to increase my weight and body mass, and look "bigger" - not too big, just enough / more muscular - kind of like zac efron but not that big- anything really since 55kg is really damn skinny.

My diet -is vegetarian

Breakfast - Porridge with banana

Lunch - rice usually with lentis/ pulses or aubergines and potatoes (i'm asian)

Drink later on - Cod liver oil - for my elbows and crackling joints

Drink later on- barely grass powder with orange juice - to get fiber and prevent hemorrhoids like I did before

1 scoop of hemp protein if I lift that day (I lift 3 times a week since joints are weak)

Dinner - rice usually with lentis/ pulses or aubergines and potatoes (i'm asian)

It's come to the point where my close friends and relatives say you need to "get bigger you skinny sheet", one told me to eat the same thing 4 times, but asian food is just so damn filling, like you can't eat more than 1 big bowl of rice and pulses+ veggies without getting bloated and feeling sick.

So please recommend some foods for me that I can eat and at what times??

Spoiler

PS once I get enough suggestions i'll create a new thread in the fitness blogs, but until I get suggestions for a diet plan i'll wait.

Thank you :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2755723
Original post by kumon

x

Do you work out at home?
If yes, is it possible for you to get a gym membership?
Reply 829
Original post by h3isenberg
Do you work out at home?
If yes, is it possible for you to get a gym membership?

Work out at home, nope can't go to a gym.
Does anyone know anything about metabolism? Can it change, for example. "Speed up" or "slow down" or are those just rumours.

Basically, even 1500 calories a day would make me put on weight. I changed my habits and went on holiday for a couple weeks, panicking that each day I was eating more than 1500 calories, some days a little less, most days up to 1800 (kept a rough track through myfitnesspal but you don't always know what's in restaurant food do you?).

Come home and I'm 4 pounds lighter. I've checked this again at the same time each day etc (I also got my dad to re-calibrate or reset the scales or whatever you do) but it's the same every time.

Feel like my metabolism has somehow improved?
Original post by lou_100
Does anyone know anything about metabolism? Can it change, for example. "Speed up" or "slow down" or are those just rumours.

Basically, even 1500 calories a day would make me put on weight. I changed my habits and went on holiday for a couple weeks, panicking that each day I was eating more than 1500 calories, some days a little less, most days up to 1800 (kept a rough track through myfitnesspal but you don't always know what's in restaurant food do you?).

Come home and I'm 4 pounds lighter. I've checked this again at the same time each day etc (I also got my dad to re-calibrate or reset the scales or whatever you do) but it's the same every time.

Feel like my metabolism has somehow improved?

It hasn't changed. Your activity level may well have increased. You might have been eating less than you thought

I also fail to believe that 1500 calories made you gain weight, you'd have to either be utterly sedentary or have a medical issue. As good as MFP is, its not perfect. It's also a scientific that people aren't always as religious at recording what they eat as they believe (not saying this applies to you but it's worth considering)

Your body might have recalibrated, you can eat a deficit and not loose weight before losing several pounds all in one go due to losing water weight which was kept in your body to maintain weight.

In whatever case, be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
mfw I run out of milk

RIP gainz
Original post by Angry cucumber
It hasn't changed. Your activity level may well have increased. You might have been eating less than you thought

I also fail to believe that 1500 calories made you gain weight, you'd have to either be utterly sedentary or have a medical issue. As good as MFP is, its not perfect. It's also a scientific that people aren't always as religious at recording what they eat as they believe (not saying this applies to you but it's worth considering)

Your body might have recalibrated, you can eat a deficit and not loose weight before losing several pounds all in one go due to losing water weight which was kept in your body to maintain weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dis mane knows whats up.

Your metabolism will up/down regulate very gradually due to persistent over/under feeding but nothing major in a couple of weeks of eating fairly normally. Seems odd that you can lose 4lbs in just a couple (?) of weeks but I suppose 1500-1800 cals is a low energy intake if it was an active holiday. As Cucumber said you may have dumped a load of water weight from eating a little more (body thinks the stress of low calories is coming to an end) that was building up gradually and masking previous fat-loss that you had before the holiday if you were dieting but may not have noticed because the extra water will "hold" your weight steady and may blur your stomach so you don't even get the visual impression of having lost fat.

This is what happens to a lot of people who diet hard for a while. After a few weeks of misery and no apparent weight-loss in the scale/mirror they give up and binge so they never actually get to realize fat-loss that they achieved because the binging rapidly replaces (and more) the lost body-fat. If they'd been more patient and eased back to roughly maintenance calories for a while their bodies would likely have flushed all the extra water held via increased cortisol and they would suddenly look leaner and weigh a few pounds less.
Question.

I'm at just under 20% body fat judging by the pics in the OP.

I'm focussing on my arms/shoulders for the minute, but was wondering if I still needed a calorie surplus if I wanted to gain mass in my arm / shoulder area. If I was eating at a deficit, would some of my body fat be burned and used to help me build mass?

Was aiming for around 2k cals,
Original post by James A
Question.

I'm at just under 20% body fat judging by the pics in the OP.

I'm focussing on my arms/shoulders for the minute, but was wondering if I still needed a calorie surplus if I wanted to gain mass in my arm / shoulder area. If I was eating at a deficit, would some of my body fat be burned and used to help me build mass?

Was aiming for around 2k cals,

1) bro of peace
2) no you don't need a calorie surplus as a noob, you need about 1.5g per kg of bw of protein and a 500 cal deficit for some weight loss gains

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) bro of peace
2) no you don't need a calorie surplus as a noob, you need about 1.5g per kg of bw of protein and a 500 cal deficit for some weight loss gains

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool man, thanks !

Yeah was aiming for around 100g of protein as I weigh 67kg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not too much. 1500 would most certainly mean my weight stayed about the same at least, but much more than that (1600-1650+) continuously each day would mean weight gain - even if slow i.e. a pound every couple of weeks. I'd walk a normal amount each day for a lightly active student (such as 20 minutes to town and back or some days 40 minutes to uni and back as well as general walking about during the day) but maybe you're right - I didn't record little things like table sauces and a glass of wine or misrecorded things so it was actually closer to 1700/1800? Who knows

Anyway, it doesn't bother me as such but it's strange that I lost 4 pounds over two weeks on holiday - while eating restaurant food!

I am happy :smile:

Original post by In One Ear
Dis mane knows whats up.

Your metabolism will up/down regulate very gradually due to persistent over/under feeding but nothing major in a couple of weeks of eating fairly normally. Seems odd that you can lose 4lbs in just a couple (?) of weeks but I suppose 1500-1800 cals is a low energy intake if it was an active holiday. As Cucumber said you may have dumped a load of water weight from eating a little more (body thinks the stress of low calories is coming to an end) that was building up gradually and masking previous fat-loss that you had before the holiday if you were dieting but may not have noticed because the extra water will "hold" your weight steady and may blur your stomach so you don't even get the visual impression of having lost fat.

This is what happens to a lot of people who diet hard for a while. After a few weeks of misery and no apparent weight-loss in the scale/mirror they give up and binge so they never actually get to realize fat-loss that they achieved because the binging rapidly replaces (and more) the lost body-fat. If they'd been more patient and eased back to roughly maintenance calories for a while their bodies would likely have flushed all the extra water held via increased cortisol and they would suddenly look leaner and weigh a few pounds less.

I appreciate both your explanations of the whole starvation/deficit/water weight situation but I've read a lot about it myself and am aware of it. I don't believe this was ever the case with me because I was always cautious of drinking plenty of water and never under eating.

Sorry, I don't fully understand the points you make about apparent fat loss etc. I was losing weight before my holiday. I lost 15 pounds through an average net intake (I was exercising in the week too) of like 1300-1350 - some days a teeny bit more or less. I had lots of comments and dropped a dress size. Then I went on holiday and thought "great I'll be eating loads and I'll put on about 4 pounds"….but I lost it instead.

Maybe I was doing a lot more exercise than I thought I was (sightseeing and whatnot) or maybe I really miscalculated the calories in my restaurant meals I was having and they were a lot less.

Who knows, obviously I don't really care as it worked in my favour but just thought it was odd! Thanks for the help.
Q) I understand why people decide to 'Bulk' and then 'Cut' to gain an leaner shape & gain more muscle mass BUT my question is shouldn't people be worried about the 'excess skin' hanging from say the stomach? Surely that excess skin can't be dealt with unless if you have surgery or have a clean diet & continuously work end on end months of work gradually on cardio workout.
Reply 839
Original post by manwithagoal

im 6ft(ish) and weigh about 11.5 stone. already got a bit of muscle on me but i dont go to the gym, and want to lose belly fat (i know you cant 'weight-loss target' the stomach directly) to allow the abs to come through

if someone could advise me on when to take the protein and what foods to eat aswell as how to make the most of the equipment i have, id appreciate it

I dont know anything about supplements, but I suggest doing running for the first two weeks or a much coupled with body weight exercises like press ups, sit ups and if you can pull ups....

then after that join the gym get your muscles bigger.

If you feel like you want to get a bit more ripped. then temporarily cut out gym and focus on running/boxing/sparring/cardio/judo/BJJ and you'll see yourself getting more definition almost three weeks after .

muscle size will not change much. Just ease ur self back into the gym... hope this helps.

I hate running thats why i do martial art, specifically BJJ... it makes you sweat a lot, so i tend to lose fat...

edit, running while weight training inhibits the growth of muscle...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest