Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Head-to-head vs goal difference, which do you support?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    So now that the league is over and won on goal difference, which method do you prefer? La Liga favours head-to-head if teams are level on points to determine positions whereas the EPL prefers goal difference.

I'm all for head-to-head. I think direct performance against one another should be the deciding factor between two teams. You might score 10 goals against a relegation team and whip all the other smallers teams but draw or lose against the bigger teams and still be crowned champions (granted, you could do this and still have more points but we are talking about two teams level on points). The number of goals should not matter too much (especially because once you get around a 3 goal lead, a collapse is likely which will only bolster the goal difference).
    I don't see why the level of performance against OTHER teams should matter beyond the points won.

Do you think the EPL should reconsider?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it wouldn't have made a difference with regards to this season.

Naturally, it's something to consider with it being done in many places across Europe (and in the CL and EL), but I personally prefer the goal difference rule as it rewards attacking play.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How does the head-to-head situation actually work?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    How does the head-to-head situation actually work?
    It's based only on the league fixtures where the two teams have faced each other. For example:

Hoffenheim Pts 58 GD +14
    Mainz Pts 58 GD -7

On GD Hoffenheim would win, but if, say, the head to head was:

Hoffenheim 1 - 2 Mainz
    Mainz 3 - 3 Hoffenheim

Then Mainz would win that 'mini-league' between just the two teams, and be placed higher.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I prefer goal difference as it represents consistency moreso than the head-to-head.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    I prefer goal difference as it represents consistency moreso than the head-to-head.
    This GD is representative of the whole season not two games.

I think it'd be coolio if the two top teams had the same amount of points they'd have to play each other once again to decide who wins the prem. Guess that wouldn't work if you had more than two teams tied for first though rofl
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of a league campaign is to see who is the best team over the course of the entire season.

The Head to Head only looks at two games, the goal difference, looks at how you have attacked/defended the entire season, ergo it's a better indicator.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    goal difference is the better method.
    It should be about performance over the whole period not sure two matches where one team may have been tired or had to deal with injuries.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    It's based only on the league fixtures where the two teams have faced each other. For example:

Hoffenheim Pts 58 GD +14
    Mainz Pts 58 GD -7

Hoffenheim 1 - 2 Mainz
    Mainz 3 - 3 Hoffenheim

Then Mainz would win that 'mini-league' between just the two teams, and be placed higher.
    Ohhhhhhhh, i get it

Yeah GD is definitely the better judge then, as it is representative of the teams consistency throughout the season.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)

Hoffenheim Pts 58 GD +14
    Mainz Pts 58 GD -7

Hoffenheim 1 - 2 Mainz
    Mainz 3 - 3 Hoffenheim

So does it go to GD if both fixtures were a draw?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    So does it go to GD if both fixtures were a draw?
    I think it usually does, yes.

The wrong way round in my eyes (and indeed, the Premier League's eyes).
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure... Head to head is a bit rubbish as you could have one extremely poor game and then you're screwed. With GD you have the opportunity to make up for a poor game (or several), so GD I suppose. It's a more accurate way of judging as it takes into account 38 games rather than 2.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goal difference, it rewards consistency of performance and encourages the teams to score goaaaaaaaaaals.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the big defence of using head-to-head is that one team could be majorly advantaged by another having to either rest players or makedo with a lot of injuries/suspensions while the other team may not.

Having said that, it's all part of the game so I'd always consider GD to be the better option.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know it would never happen, but if 1st and 2nd/4th and 5th/18th and 17th finish on equal points, their finishing positions should be decided in a one match decider at Wembley that would go to penalties.

Imagine Man City vs Man Utd at Wembley, to decide who finishes champions; it would be sooooooo exciting!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Head to Head, personally.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    definitely head to head, had mancity ended up losing it yesterday, man utd would've been the most undeserving champions OF ALL TIME, getting their ass whooped on both their PL meetings by their nearest rival and still win the title would be just be the biggest mind ****
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    definitely head to head, had mancity ended up losing it yesterday, man utd would've been the most undeserving champions OF ALL TIME, getting their ass whooped on both their PL meetings by their nearest rival and still win the title would be just be the biggest mind ****
    Exactly why I would go for head-to-head. It also makes the head-to-head matches more exciting. Man U would know they have to better City in their two matches adding that extra incentive and making it feel like a cup tie-- they know they can't lose and make up for it against Bolton next week, which is what happens in the present situation.

I don't think goal difference makes any difference to attacking play. They score bags of goals in La Liga.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    H2H would ruin the final day, and would look stupid if done for things other than the top two, particularly relegation battles. It's a league; GD upholds the concept of a league format.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    If City had lost yesterday, Utd would've beaten them on points. What exactly is your point?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.