The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can i "Attend" OU?

Yeah i know the title is misleading but it gave me a little chuckle.

My question is what funding, bursaries, grants are available to a mature student wanting to do a course at OU?

A little background on myself im 28 live in scotland in full time employment with no dependants, stay with my father who is in receipt of the state pension. My household income is less than 18,000 a year.

I have looked through loads of websites with information on paying for the courses but it just confuses the hell out of me!

Anyone in Scotland able to shed some light on the best way of funding a OU course?
Reply 1
Original post by Taibrel
Yeah i know the title is misleading but it gave me a little chuckle.

My question is what funding, bursaries, grants are available to a mature student wanting to do a course at OU?

A little background on myself im 28 live in scotland in full time employment with no dependants, stay with my father who is in receipt of the state pension. My household income is less than 18,000 a year.

I have looked through loads of websites with information on paying for the courses but it just confuses the hell out of me!

Anyone in Scotland able to shed some light on the best way of funding a OU course?

Hey matey,

First up, Scotland isn't affected by all the undergrad changes going on the UK. So the cost of a year will still be ~1600 pound mark (that's 1/3 of the entire degree per year or 120 points in OU talk). There is an exception to this 1600 pound per year degree, and that is law where the prices are far higher.

Also, financial support still applies. You'll probably find that most if not all of your costs will be covered (this is a non-repayable grant, not a loan).

To see how much they will pay towards your fees, check here:
http://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx

Fill in your details, and see what comes out the other end :smile:

If I remember correctly, you should not include your parents income in this, but you'd probably have to confirm that over the phone. I haven't seen anything about that being changed,
(edited 11 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Awesome thanks Very much for the speedy reply.
Reply 3
To be eligable for "full" funding you would have to be Single with no child dependants on £16,510 or less. Because it's slightly above you will likely have to pay a small amount, which can be paid up monthly to the OU, but it depends on type of course, length of study, and is up to them really... I'll copy and paste the e-mail I got a while back regarding my situation if it may help:

The Open University operates a fee waiver scheme for students studying undergraduate courses. New students with the Open University are potentially entitled to a maximum of 60 credits of financial assistance in their first academic year. This allocation then doubles to 120 credits if they go on to study with us in subsequent academic years.

Financial assistance is awarded on two main grounds, the first being if a student and/or their partner is in receipt of certain State benefits. You mention that you currently receive Working Tax Credit. If you receive the basic adult element of this benefit, it sounds like you would qualify for funding on this basis alone.

The second ground on which a student may qualify for funding relates to their gross household income. The applicable income threshold for a student living with a partner and two child dependents is £21,510. From your initial email, it sounds like your combined annual income would fall below this threshold. However, as mentioned above, we would not need to assess your household income if you receive the basic adult element of Working Tax Credit. A financial support application form has been attached to this message for your information.

I hope you have found the above information useful. However, should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. You can do so either by replying directly to this email or by calling the Enrolment & Fees team on 0131 226 3851.

Quick Reply

Latest