Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bulking up.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'd like some advice on how to bulk up I'm 21 years old, Male, 5'10, and weigh 136lbs.

I'd like to get bigger arms and a toned stomach whats the best way for a beginner to start bulking up? I dont want to get massively big, probably somewhere around the physique of Cristiano Ronaldo (lean and athletic) or Brad Pitt in Fight Club/Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love. So not a MASSIVE build up, just somewhere where im toned and built. I'd like to get rid of my skinny arms and chicken legs. The end goal would be something like Chris Hemsworth in Thor, but at the moment, id like to set an achieveable goal. So something like 175lbs (my physique is easier to get ripped as I'm small/skinny as my body doesn't need to burn off fatty tissue which would carry more useless weight in the muscle building process) in a year or two.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots, lift heavy weights and put them down
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Eat lots, lift heavy weights and put them down
    very informative.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use the search function/stickies
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forget everything you've ever been told about bulking, cutting, toning, not getting too big ecotmorph this, hardgainer that.

Pick a beginner routine - Starting Strength, Bill Starr 5x5 or a derivative like Stronglifts, a beginner variant of 5/3/1 etc. Follow it.

Get into condition by running hills or something equally intense two or three times a week.

Eat a LOT of food.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    3000 calories per day
    3 day weight lifting split
    Whey protein shakes

Need I say more?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Doggfather)
    3000 calories per day
    3 day weight lifting split
    Whey protein shakes

Need I say more?
    Yes
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those goals are going to take a very very long time.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Those goals are going to take a very very long time.
    which ones? the thor one obviously he's massive!! but pitt is v.lean in fight club and gosling isn't exactly ripping the seams off his shirt in drive/crazy stupid love, im realistic in the fact that it will probably take anything up to a year to 18months to achieve, its not going to happen over night, changes will be noticeable in 3 months or so be it small because im so skinny, but changes will be noticeable, yet the goal id like to get is what ive stated, If and when I do start doing this I will take it seriously and go every other day if possible 1 day on and 1 day for muscles to repair.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheech23)
    which ones? the thor one obviously he's massive!! but pitt is v.lean in fight club and gosling isn't exactly ripping the seams off his shirt in drive/crazy stupid love, im realistic in the fact that it will probably take anything up to a year to 18months to achieve, its not going to happen over night, changes will be noticeable in 3 months or so be it small because im so skinny, but changes will be noticeable, yet the goal id like to get is what ive stated, If and when I do start doing this I will take it seriously and go every other day if possible 1 day on and 1 day for muscles to repair.
    Gaining loads of muscle mass is going to take a very long time from your current position. The 175 pound goal. Gaining that much lean body mass is going to take a couple of year at least I would suspect.

For your more modest goal I think you are probably in the right kind of ball park, however I would say more like 5 months but without knowing your diet, your current size and your workout structure it is hard to say.

Anyway good luck
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gaining loads of muscle mass is going to take a very long time from your current position. The 175 pound goal. Gaining that much lean body mass is going to take a couple of year at least I would suspect.

For your more modest goal I think you are probably in the right kind of ball park, however I would say more like 5 months but without knowing your diet, your current size and your workout structure it is hard to say.

Anyway good luck
    what was that matey?? 5 months sounds reasonable. I have no 'real diet' or workout at the moment im just about to begin.

Its going to take a while but hopefully I can achieve it. being skinny is a help as I'll look ripped if i train hard enough, just takes a while I guess lol.

Whats reasonable size do you reckon I could gain in a year or so. 150lbs, as im 136lbs at the moment, 14lbs sounds easy (probably isnt but still better than 30lbs)
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    what was that matey??
    Sorry I was imagining things lol.

Its going to take a while but hopefully I can achieve it. being skinny is a help as I'll look ripped if i train hard enough, just takes a while I guess lol.
    Yes, being skinny is a massive help to looking ripped. For the most part being ripped is about low body fat.

Whats reasonable size do you reckon I could gain in a year or so. 150lbs, as im 136lbs at the moment, 14lbs sounds easy (probably isnt but still better than 30lbs)
    14 lbs of lean body mass is probably doable (but I would be looking at more like 10 lbs) if you are strict with yourself, and that you are new to weights which helps. It is certainly not easy though, far from it.

30lbs is pretty ridiculous.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

30lbs is pretty ridiculous.
    Didn't he say 30lbs in two years? I wouldn't say it's too ridiculous to expect to gain less than half a pound of lean muscle a week as long as he lifts hard and eats right.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Didn't he say 30lbs in two years? I wouldn't say it's too ridiculous to expect to gain less than half a pound of lean muscle a week as long as he lifts hard and eats right.
    Gahh cant think, I meant 1 year.

Even over 2 years I would say 30lbs would be very impressive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could put on 30lbs in a year, the question is what percentage of that will be muscle mass.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I put on 30lbs in three months when I started.

Please all learn from my mistakes.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    I put on 30lbs in three months when I started.

Please all learn from my mistakes.
    Mistakes? I take it, its mostly fat then? (not trying to be insulting or anything just that you said that it was a mistake) lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mistakes? I take it, its mostly fat then? (not trying to be insulting or anything just that you said that it was a mistake) lol
    Yes

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.