The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Specification B AS Level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For groupings how does everyone do it? I go "texts x,y and z can be grouped due to their use of the spoken mode (for example), And then analyse individually.
Reply 21
Original post by DomPugh
For groupings how does everyone do it? I go "texts x,y and z can be grouped due to their use of the spoken mode (for example), And then analyse individually.

exactly how i do it
Reply 22
Yeah i think thats the secret. My teacher always tells me to relate it to context so for example, how the graphological features relate to audience or aid it in achieving its purpose
Original post by DomPugh

My teachers told my class to do the same thing and to always back up what you are saying with an example. I feel okay with categorising and I am hoping gender will be a transcript!!
Reply 24
Yeah a transcript would be really good because you can get loads of evaluation in
Reply 25
Original post by DomPugh
Yeah a transcript would be really good because you can get loads of evaluation in

what sort of things would you look for or expect because im dong gender also
I'm really superstitious about saying this, but I was really happy with the set of texts. I didn't have enough time to say all I wanted to say, but I managed to group them all, which was such a relief!

As for the social contexts stuff, I read question two, laughed to myself quite a bit (which possibly creeped out the invigilators :ahee:) And then remembered that we'd analysed some mills and boon stuff in relation to gender in class. Had a quick look at the other two and then thought "question 2 it is then 8D". I'm going to have to buy my teacher a cake in order to thank her. :cake:
Reply 27
That exam was beautiful. I ended up going on a femininst rant in the Language and Gender question, all the while wondering about Professor Chadwick's eyes. Icy blue, staring deep into my soul...:heart:
Original post by Ra Ra
That exam was beautiful. I ended up going on a femininst rant in the Language and Gender question, all the while wondering about Professor Chadwick's eyes. Icy blue, staring deep into my soul...:heart:

SAME HERE. I worry that I dropped marks because it turned into a little bit of a rant about how the language shows the woman to be subordinate and passive, despite her position etc. etc. :colondollar:

"Where do you want me?"
Reply 29
Original post by okonomiyaki
SAME HERE. I worry that I dropped marks because it turned into a little bit of a rant about how the language shows the woman to be subordinate and passive, despite her position etc. etc. :colondollar:

"Where do you want me?"

I swear, 3/4 of my answer is a huge rant about the sexism of the novel. I mean, the title of the novel is 'A Surgeon's Care'. I wrote a huge paragraph about how the title implies that women are beneath men and then wrote in brackets 'no pun intended'. I only managed to squeeze in a couple of quotes from theorists in the last two minutes :s-smilie:

I have a very strange desire to read the novel now.

:blush:
(edited 11 years ago)
Ahhh, walk in the park compared to Wednesday's Lit exam! I actually enjoyed writing the responses for this!
Question 1 was good, I had to think hard about my groupings and ran short of time, but hopefully that went well! Sorted it into Purpose, Pragmatics and Phonology, so fingers crossed I did them categories justice! I found it sort of random with that Poem by the Scottish Poet (name slips my mind) and didn't really know what to write!

Language and Power went beautifully. How easy is it analysing a leaflet to persuade?! Took me back to my GCSE days! Ha! :P

How did everyone else get on?
Reply 31
I found the groupings hard, but the power question was so so so good! So much to write about!!!
Reply 32
Today wasn't my best.
Loved the power question. It was fate, is said Winchester and I love spn so i was like bamb!

The groups could have been better, by the time i got onto my 3rd grouping I had trouble coming up with a good one to do.

Also I get 4% special consideration as my dads in hosp atm, at this would = 3.84 marks would they give me 3 or 4 marks extra?
(edited 11 years ago)
Relatively well considering I did minimal amounts of revision compared to my other subjects, then again it is only English, as long as you know your terminology, and theorists and go to town on the social contexts section, you're pretty much sorted.
For part 1 I grouped based on possessive pronouns, pragmatics, dual purpose(somehow managed to work Graphology and tone/level of formality into this paragraph aswell) and imperatives.
For part 2 I answered question 03, I just saw that it was a campaign leaflet, so dived in without even bothering to read texts H or J, though I did entertain myself for the last 5 minutes or so of the test by reading text I, and laughing at the 18 year old who sent those ridiculous texts. Overall I feel I did pretty well, I'd be dissapointed if I didn't get an A, but you never know. I hope you guys all get what you are hoping for.
Reply 35
personally i did many hours of revision, learning many terminology etc...on the exam i couldnt spot these exept for the most obvious and common devices wich can be picked out with eyes closed...also i feel like i wasunder pressure as i misused my time on the anotating part of the exam probably spent too much time on it so as a result panicked and wrote what ever came in mind......:angry:
Reply 36
I only did three groupings

Multi purpose, emphasising the difficulties of the task.
Contextual dependence/awareness. How context has affected use of frameworks to meet audience/purpose.
Multi-modality, emphasising the subtleties within texts.

Probably not the best groupings are they?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
But I did explore context fairly well.

And managed to talk about:

Lexis
Semantics
Pragmatics
Discourse
Cohesion
Grammar
Graphology
Phonology
Mode
Register
Genre
Audience
Purpose

So I guess I ticked all those boxes:smile:
Reply 38
What is the average amount of marks you can drop whilst still achieving an A.

From what I've seen, they vary from 25 to 28 marks, I believe. Although, I could be terribly wrong.
Original post by AbominableSnowman
I did entertain myself for the last 5 minutes or so of the test by reading text I, and laughing at the 18 year old who sent those ridiculous texts.

I know people who actually text like that :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending