The Student Room Group

Intermediate 2 Chemistry

How did you find the examination? Personally, I blitzed section A (Probably 3 or 4 marks off of 30) and got most of Section B correct but the question I can remember not getting is when it asked you
"What can hydrolyse starch apart from amylase?" I had no idea and I know my answer was wrong for that one. Also, for the PPA question about rate of reaction in the graph I put all of the answers as 0 and I am not sure if I am right or not on that question.

Overall, the exam was about average in difficulty but I am certain that I got a Grade A.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it HORRIBLE :frown: I think I got that question though - an acid can also be used to hydrolyse starch and for the PPA question I just made up the difference of 10cm^3 because the volume has to remain the same for each
Reply 2
Original post by FH1996
I found it HORRIBLE :frown: I think I got that question though - an acid can also be used to hydrolyse starch and for the PPA question I just made up the difference of 10cm^3 because the volume has to remain the same for each

I divided the reaction time by whatever the other thing was for that question. I think that was worth 2 marks as well. Oh well I got the other 2-pointers.
Reply 3
I said that rate=1/t :s-smilie: I think I probably got a B which is disappointing because I sooooo wanted an A. What did you get for the question what gas is produced when air is sparked?
Reply 4
Original post by FH1996
I said that rate=1/t :s-smilie: I think I probably got a B which is disappointing because I sooooo wanted an A. What did you get for the question what gas is produced when air is sparked?

On the bright side you could have dropped 24 marks and still got an A. You think you dropped more than 24?

And for that question I answered sulphur dioxide at first because I was not sure whether carbon dioxide was acidic or not. Fortunately, Section B later gave away that carbon dioxide was acidic so I changed my answer to carbon dioxide because sulphur dioxide does not get produced from being ignited and neither does nitrogen dioxide so it had to be carbon dioxide.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
did any one put homozygous catalyst?
what about the experiemtnt where it had hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid and ethanoic acid. did you put hyrgoen gas and did you say sulpuric acid was lower ph and higher conductivity
Reply 6
Yeah I know that's what I keep telling myself :smile: I better not have! I got 91% and 90% in the past papers i did yesterday so to get a B today would be absolutely awful! :eek: Yeah I put CO2 too but it was just a stab in the dark. The question that threw me the most was "How many moles of sodium hydroxide would it take to exactly neutralise 1 mole of citric acid?" I just completely guessed and said 3.

I know! Where is everyone? :biggrin:
Reply 7
it was so werid how it had biology questions. did anyone put chlorophyll converts light energy into chmeical to undergo photsynthesis and produce oygen and its own food?
what about the weird multiple choice question . did any put methylproylamine ?
Reply 8
yeh i put 3 moles aswell as it had three carbons
Reply 9
Original post by bob35
did any one put homozygous catalyst?
what about the experiemtnt where it had hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid and ethanoic acid. did you put hyrgoen gas and did you say sulpuric acid was lower ph and higher conductivity

Yeah! I put homogeneous :biggrin: I said hydrogen gas too but that was kind of a guess. No :s-smilie: I said they were both the same because they were both strong acids and that was all i could think of
I genuinely expected it to be a lot harder than it was, especially since I struggled with the whole course questions at the end of the Int 2 book. Probably scraped a B, but I'm not expecting more than that.

24 marks dropped is still an A? Is that correct?!
Reply 11
but did no one see at the sulhpuric beaker it had loads of bubble produced ?
Reply 12
Original post by bob35
it was so werid how it had biology questions. did anyone put chlorophyll converts light energy into chmeical to undergo photsynthesis and produce oygen and its own food?
what about the weird multiple choice question . did any put methylproylamine ?

Yeah it was soooo biology based and I didn't take biology :s-smilie: but my friend who did said she found the paper easy. I didn't get the chlorophyll question, I said it's purpose was to convert oxygen into glucose! hahahaha
Yeah i put methylpropyamine! :smile:
Reply 13
70% think you might of just got an A
Reply 14
Original post by bob35
but did no one see at the sulhpuric beaker it had loads of bubble produced ?

Yeah but I didn't think that was a very scientific approach :P But you were probably right
Reply 15
what did you put for the question that said how do you know the reaction has stopped ?
what about the test for starch. isaid put iodine in the beacker of water and wait for a day . it should stay brown to show that the starch didnt come through the tube ?
Reply 16
what other questions did you's find hARD AVE FORRGOTTEN THEM ?
Reply 17
I don't even remember there being a question like that :s-smilie: but for the one which said how can you take an accurate time or something I said the colour change was very sudden? Yeah that's what i did
Reply 18
For the biology questions I put that the chlorophyll stores light energy and oxygen is converted into glucose. It makes it easy since I do biology I guess.
Reply 19
the visking tube one where is said how would you test that starch molecules were too big?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending