The Student Room Group

Sister smokes

Found out that my 16 year old sister smokes. Do I confront her? Tell my parents? I'm really lost as to what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would tell your parents.

It's worth her hating you for a few weeks if it means your parents try to stop her smoking; you don't want to be looking back in fifty years when she's terminally ill with lung cancer thinking, "oh, if only I'd told my parents..."
Original post by Aquar
you don't want to be looking back in fifty years when she's terminally ill with lung cancer thinking, "oh, if only I'd told my parents..."

You do know that smoking gives an increased chance of cancer, not a 100% chance?

I would talk to her first, see the reasons why. If its due to stress then getting her into trouble with parents will be counter productive and she may smoke more.

At the end of the day you are unlikely to change anything, you can only be there to advise. if she wants to smoke then she will.
Reply 3
Original post by ELs123
You do know that smoking gives an increased chance of cancer, not a 100% chance?

I would talk to her first, see the reasons why. If its due to stress then getting her into trouble with parents will be counter productive and she may smoke more.

At the end of the day you are unlikely to change anything, you can only be there to advise. if she wants to smoke then she will.

Yes I am quite aware of that! I was simply trying to get across that he should tell his parents (or at least confront her) because he would most likely regret it in the long run should she continue smoking.
Reply 4
it's probably a phase and she will quit when she's older.
Reply 5
Advise her, grassing her up will just make her do it more, she may come round if you just inform her of the negative effects and let her make her own decision. :h:
Reply 6
I wouldn't go in all guns blazing dobbing her in to your parents; as someone said above, this really could have the opposite effect to what you want!

Speak to her, ask her why she's doing it. Tell her you think it's a bad idea by all means but don't patronise her - all smokers know that it's bad for them.

With any luck she'll be worried enough that you know to stop, although that depends on the kind of person she is. If you get a bad reaction from her and you think it'll be helpful, then by all means tell your parents.
Reply 7
You say your sister is 16 but you don't mention your own age. At 16 your sister is a young adult and deserves the respect of her siblings to speak to her about issues or concerns they have. Unfortunately smoking is onthe increase in your sisters demographicbut running to your parents as if she is still a child is likely only going to cause a fair bit of disruption within your family and unlikely to have much effect on her choice to continue smoking.

Try getting some leaflets and information from your doctors office and sitting down with her while your parents are not around so you can discuss your concerns and can therefore show it is only the concern for your sisters long term health that you are worried about.
I disagree, the parents have a right to know. There are no benefits to smoking whatsoever.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Found out that my 16 year old sister smokes. Do I confront her? Tell my parents? I'm really lost as to what to do.

She is 16 and legally allowed to smoke (and has been since she was 14) so really it is up to her what she does, tell your parents and you will not get her to quit if anything she will do it more out of rebellion.

Just leave her be.
Reply 10
Original post by Some random guy
I disagree, the parents have a right to know. There are no benefits to smoking whatsoever.

Do your parents have a right to know whether or not you masturbate and which hand you use? She's not breaking the law ffs.
Original post by TheHansa
Do your parents have a right to know whether or not you masturbate? She's not breaking the law ffs.

Masturbation carries no negative effects. Smoking does. Apples and oranges.
Reply 12
Original post by Some random guy
Masturbation carries no negative effects. Smoking does. Apples and oranges.

What if OP's parents are religious?
Reply 13
Tell your parents, don't listen to these buggers, claiming "she'll come around". 16 year olds are frigging stupid thats why they have to go to school. Once they start, they'll never stop, hopefully your sister will be on her early stages.
Reply 14
smoking reduces your chances of parkinsons...join her
Reply 15
Original post by kaylafrances
firstworldmiddleclassproblems

Yes, much like science.

Let's stop trying to solve scientific problems. After all, we are the first world, so what we would like to be able to do doesn't matter.

Idiot.
Reply 16
Do your parents have a right to know whether or not you masturbate and which hand you use? She's not breaking the law ffs.

Everyone masturbates. Not everyone smokes. Stupid analogy.
What if OP's parents are religious?

My point stands.
Reply 18
Original post by Aquar
I would tell your parents.

It's worth her hating you for a few weeks if it means your parents try to stop her smoking; you don't want to be looking back in fifty years when she's terminally ill with lung cancer thinking, "oh, if only I'd told my parents..."

Going in like this will just mean any self destructive behaviour OPs sister engages in in future will be kept secret
Tell her you know and you aren't going to cover for her, and if it pisses you off you'll complain about it. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell my parents but equally I wouldn't play dumb. If she's old enough to smoke she's old enough to tell them she smokes. As for talking to her, don't bother, if she doesn't know the dangers the only explanation is she's illiterate, its all over the packets.

I always find this hide it from your parents attitude pathetic, grow up. If you want to smoke, smoke, if you want to drink, drink. Don't hide it like 12 year old with a nuts mag. If your aren't old enough to tell your parents you can and will make your own decisions, you aren't mature enough to make them.

Quick Reply

Latest