Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick question; something which the (useless) textbook hasn't helped me with.

With Waves, what is the difference between Amplitude and Displacement? Are they basically the same numerical value, except Amplitude is always positive whilst Displacement can be positive or negative, depending on whether it is above or below the line?

Cheers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC.)

With Waves, what is the difference between Amplitude and Displacement? Are they basically the same numerical value, except Amplitude is always positive whilst Displacement can be positive or negative, depending on whether it is above or below the line?

Cheers
    Amplitude = the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.
    Displacement = the displace of any point on a wave from its equilibrium position.

So amplitude is the peak, whereas displacement is just simply the distance of any point of the wave (e.g. it could be halfway between equilibrium position and amplitude) from its equilibrium position.

Hope that helps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC.)

Cheers
    my textbook says AMPLITUDE = the maximum displacement of a particle from its equilibrium position... so for instance, if you think of a sin wave.. then its amplitude is at 90 degrees whilst at say 45 degrees its displacement would be 0.707... if that makes sense?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dale12)
    my textbook says AMPLITUDE = the maximum displacement of a particle from its equilibrium position... so for instance, if you think of a sin wave.. then its amplitude is at 90 degrees whilst at say 45 degrees its displacement would be 0.707... if that makes sense?
    Thanks to you both, but that Maths-y way of describing it really has helped.

Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me the relationships between current, voltage, and resistance.

eg.

- If you change the voltage supplied, how does the resistance and current change?
    - If you increase the resistance, does the current decrease but the voltage stay the same?

Struggling to get my head round all this!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilko94)
    Can someone explain to me the relationships between current, voltage, and resistance.

eg.

- If you change the voltage supplied, how does the resistance and current change?
    - If you increase the resistance, does the current decrease but the voltage stay the same?

I just learnt this today.
    Think of voltage as something which helps to push the current round a circuit.
    When there's a high resistance and low current, then the voltage needs to increase so that it can push the current around faster.
    On the other hand, when there's a low resistance but high current, the voltage doesn't need to push the current round since it's already high; hence the voltage decreases.

Btw, I don't think this is the actual scientific way of explaining it; it's just to help you understand it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain the experiments for stationary waves?
    - Like how stationary waves are formed,
    - And how to demonstrate them using microwaves, stretched strings and air columns. (+rep) Thankyou.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

eg.

for a component, resistance is constant so increasing the voltage means the current increases

however if you increase the resistance the current decreases but the p.d stays the same

V=IR
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So say there is a parallel circuit with a resistor on each, 1 thats 1k Ohms, another 5k Ohms.

The 5k Ohm resistor will have a smaller current.

Where as the 1k Ohm resistor will have a greater current.

And if the resistors are in series, then then;

The 5k Ohm will have a larger share of the potential difference?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dale12)
    for a component, resistance is constant so increasing the voltage means the current increases

however if you increase the resistance the current decreases but the p.d stays the same

V=IR
    So am i wrong then? ...Are you sure?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

eg.

I always think of it in terms of V=IR

So, if the Resistance increases and the Voltage of the circuit stays the same (the resistance does that affect the Voltage from the battery, only the PD of a component), then I will get smaller.

If you change the Voltage of a circuit, the current will also change, however the resistance of the components will be the same. If Voltage increases, so too will current.

I hope that makes sense
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So say there is a parallel circuit with a resistor on each, 1 thats 1k Ohms, another 5k Ohms.

The 5k Ohm resistor will have a smaller current.

Where as the 1k Ohm resistor will have a greater current.

And if the resistors are in series, then then;

The 5k Ohm will have a larger share of the potential difference?
    Yeah, I think that's right...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetascandy)
    Can someone please explain the experiments for stationary waves?
    - Like how stationary waves are formed,
    - And how to demonstrate them using microwaves, stretched strings and air columns. (+rep) Thankyou.
    Stationary waves are formed when a progressive wave reflects of a boundary and the two waves travelling in opposite directions superpose and form a standing wave with nodes and anitnodes..

to demonstrate using a microwave transmitter, it reflects of a metal sheet... if u move a probe between the metal and transmitter u get signals of minimum and maxima, these are the nodes and anitnodes...

for air columns the sound wave reflects off the closed end and u can hear a maxima at the tope of the tube, the length between the open end of the tube and closed end is wavelength/4
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

eg.

First, V = IR. When V is EMF (voltage of a battery or power source), if resistance increases, current decreases. And the other way around.

When you're talking about Potential Difference (so, some sort of measurement by a voltmeter), things change.

V_{out} = \frac{R_1}{R_{total}} \x V_{in}

V in is the EMF, V out is the reading on the voltmeter.

You'll see that if you plug numbers into that, as R1 increases, so does V out. So the potential difference of a component will increase as it's resistance increases.

Those are the two things I've sorted made myself remember.

Oh and, current heats things up. When things get hot, resistance increases. Meaning that when temperature is taken into consideration (and this exam loves throwing temperature into things), as current increases, temp increases, resistivity increases, thus resistance increases.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetascandy)
    So am i wrong then? ...Are you sure?!
    you are not wrong, you explained how to undertsand the concepts of v, I and R you didnt answer the questions thats all

and Josh. C is right
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question: Is it voltage or current (or both), which causes metallic conductors to heat up?

I always thought it was (just) the current, but one of the questions in a past paper, seems to imply that it's voltage?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    safe to say i'm going to fail any photon questions like a boss
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    Just a quick question: Is it voltage or current (or both), which causes metallic conductor to heat up?
    current mate
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebmaj7)
    First, V = IR. When V is EMF (voltage of a battery or power source), if resistance increases, current decreases. And the other way around.

When you're talking about Potential Difference (so, some sort of measurement by a voltmeter), things change.

V_{out} = \frac{R_1}{R_{total}} \x V_{in}

V in is the EMF, V out is the reading on the voltmeter.

You'll see that if you plug numbers into that, as R1 increases, so does V out. So the potential difference of a component will increase as it's resistance increases.

Those are the two things I've sorted made myself remember.

Oh and, current heats things up. When things get hot, resistance increases. Meaning that when temperature is taken into consideration (and this exam loves throwing temperature into things), as current increases, temp increases, resistivity increases, thus resistance increases.
    I'm not convinced.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    whats up sweetascandy???

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.