The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the real viper

State typical values for the wavelengths of the different regions of the EM spectrum.

Radio: 10^-1 -------- 10^6 Radio transmissions
Microwaves: 10^-3 -------- 10^-1 Radar, microwave cookery, TV transmissions
Infrared: 7x10-7 -------- 10^-3 Night-visions, optical fibres, remote controls
Ultraviolet:10^-8 ------- 4x10^-7 Sunbeds, Security Markings
X-Rays: 10^-13 ------- 10^8 See damage to bones, Kill cancer cells
Gamma Rays: 10^-16 -------- 10^-1 Irradiation of food, Sterilisation, Chemotheraphy

You missed out visible light btw. Its wavelength is 4x10^-7 (blue) to 7x10^-7 (red). And its uses are: sight, communication, photography and signalling.
Reply 81
:| I keep sweeping this exam under the rug :tongue: The majority of it is electrical calculations which I struggle to revise for as they're different each time (Kinda the point I know!) Mainly been trying to remember all the definitions - particularly the wave ones :biggrin:

I think I have the quantum bit down so it's mainly electricity I need to focus on - anyone have any good summarising tips for electrical stuff? :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by davie18
Hmm seems fine to me. What happens when you try to open it?

when i save it its fine but when i open it or when i directly open it without saving it says the file is corrupt and to open it thorugh 'open and repair' and even when i did that it comes up as corrupt file etc?
Reply 83
Energy levels. Can somebody try to explain them to me, no matter how many times I read about them in the textbook, I simply can't get my head around them. I would really appreciate it cheers !

Also, the grade boundaries for this paper are so low, surely if you get all the easy 1-4 mark questions correct, which are mostly just recalling facts and rearranging formula's you should be at an A already.
Reply 84
can someone list the formulas that we must remember which are not going to be on the formula sheet!! :smile:
Original post by Jukeboxing
You got those mixed up.

I've just done the question and for

7 degrees: 3.3x10^-6 x sin(7) = 4.02..x10^-7m (about 402nm) which is the wavelength for U.V

12 degrees: 3.3x10^-6 x sin(12) = 6.86...x10^-7m (686nm) which is the wavelength for Red.

From Red to Ultra violet the wavelength decreases.

Oops, kind of a fundemental thing to know :colondollar:

Reply 86
Can anyone outline the experiments we'll be expected to know/describe/draw?
Because I know them roughly but when I'm doing practice papers I'm struggling to get full marks because I don't know exactly what OCR want us to put.
Original post by sweetascandy
Terminal p.d. is the potential difference across the external resistor connected to an EMF source. This is the definition which I've learnt :smile:

So what happens if there is multiple resistors all with different resistance? Is the terminal pd the individual pds of each resistor or the summed pds of each resistor?
Reply 88
Original post by A for Andromeda
Oops, kind of a fundemental thing to know :colondollar:

did the mark scheme just have uv or could you say blue? :confused:
Original post by zonka
can someone list the formulas that we must remember which are not going to be on the formula sheet!! :smile:

intensity = amplitude^2
intensity = power/ cross sectional area
frequency = 1/time period
EMF= IR + Ir
EMF= I(R + r)
EMF= V + v
Malus Law: A= A0 cos theta & I= I0 cos^2 theta

think that is it :smile:
So what happens if there is multiple resistors all with different resistance? Is the terminal pd the individual pds of each resistor or the summed pds of each resistor?

Urmm I'm not really sure; on the spec it says to just know the equation :s-smilie: but I'm guessing it would mean the sum of the pd's!
Original post by Toshiya
Can anyone outline the experiments we'll be expected to know/describe/draw?
Because I know them roughly but when I'm doing practice papers I'm struggling to get full marks because I don't know exactly what OCR want us to put.

Describe an experiment to obtain the I-V characteristics of a resistor at constant temperature, filament lamp and light emitting diode.

Describe Experiments that demonstrate two-source interference using sound, light and microwaves.

Describe Young double slit experiment.

Describe experiment to determine wavelenght of monochromatic light.

Describe and experiment using LEDs to estimate plancks constant - (The photoelectric effect basically!)

ENJOY! :smile:
Original post by sweetascandy
Urmm I'm not really sure; on the spec it says to just know the equation :s-smilie: but I'm guessing it would mean the sum of the pd's!

Wait i've just read that the you sometimes take the terminal pd to be the EMF of the supply because you are ignoring internal resistance so therefore the terminal pd must be the sum of the individual pd's i guess!!!:biggrin:
Reply 93
Grade boundaries are so low on this paper, have found some of the more recent ones just stupid though, overly vague and focusing on areas that aren't really covered in the book or anything.
Original post by WillKail
Grade boundaries are so low on this paper, have found some of the more recent ones just stupid though, overly vague and focusing on areas that aren't really covered in the book or anything.

agreed, as long as you are getting all the calculations correct and then getting like 2/3 of the explanation questions (sometimes less) you've basically got an A
Original post by welshy93
did the mark scheme just have uv or could you say blue? :confused:

Only blue/violet - but I'm fairly sure it meantioned something about it being visible (light) in the stem of the question :smile:
Original post by OllyHV
Energy levels. Can somebody try to explain them to me, no matter how many times I read about them in the textbook, I simply can't get my head around them. I would really appreciate it cheers !

- Each element has a unique spectra (of wavelengths).
- Isolated atoms are gas atoms that exert negligible forces on each other. So they absorb/emit light photons of different frequencies, (which is evident from their absorption and emission spectra).
- If you heat a gas, many electrons move to higher energy levels (since they gain more heat energy).
- Absorption line spectra arise when EM radiation is absorbed by isolated atoms. An electron absorbs a photon of the correct energy to allow it to make a transition to a higher energy level. When an electron moves down an energy level, it emits a photon.
- At cool temperatures, electrons are most likely to be at the ground state.

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong; I don't feel that confident on this topic myself tbh! But I hope it does help someone :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by A for Andromeda
Only blue/violet - but I'm fairly sure it meantioned something about it being visible (light) in the stem of the question :smile:

ohh ok thankss :smile:
just done jan 2011 paper, wish i had that paper for real exam was really nice and easy, Mind you i am resitting this unit.
Original post by OllyHV

- Each element has a unique spectra (of wavelengths).
- Isolated atoms are gas atoms that exert negligible forces on each other. So they absorb/emit light photons of different frequencies, (which is evident from their absorption and emission spectra).
- If you heat a gas, many electrons move to higher energy levels (since they gain more heat energy).
- Absorption line spectra arise when EM radiation is absorbed by isolated atoms. An electron absorbs a photon of the correct energy to allow it to make a transition to a higher energy level. When an electron moves down an energy level, it emits a photon.
- At cool temperatures, electrons are most likely to be at the ground state.

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong; I don't feel that confident on this topic myself tbh! But I hope it does help someone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending