The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics Unit 4: 20th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
L
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
The Euro crisis will 100% be in the paper, probably in the comprehension.

Like what? What unit 4 topic?
Original post by PPF
L

Like what? What unit 4 topic?

Fiscal policy, potentially ER because the potential of Greece devaluing, constraints on economic growth stuff. Its all stems from the Eurozone monetary union - trading blocs section.

If you think about it its been the BIG story in the last 18 months so how could it not come up.
Reply 22
Fiscal policy, potentially ER because the potential of Greece devaluing, constraints on economic growth stuff. Its all stems from the Eurozone monetary union - trading blocs section.

If you think about it its been the BIG story in the last 18 months so how could it not come up.

True. But how can greece devalue? It cant becos they have adopted the
Euro which is the problem with the crisis that Greece has a debt of about 300% of GDP so if it defaults then the currency will depriciate and capital flight will occur etc and the fear is that if greece defaults so will portugal and spain etc causing a moral hazard for other members.

Possibly the cut in the 50p rate for section A?

But your right the crisis should come up so lets think of possible questions and also remember that there are 2 case studies whats the other one likely to be?

The paper was set 2 years ago..
Reply 24
Original post by jdthemagicman
The paper was set 2 years ago..

so what do you think will come up?
Reply 25
How do you no the paper was set two years ago?

But i think your correct cos looking back at jan 2012 papers all the case studies were from 2010
They really don't have a set time for setting papers, my last politics paper in jan was on issues that were on going. If something massive is happening theres no way they can ignore it all together.
Reply 27
Original post by Sophie1805
I'm exactly the same as you, I need 89/120 so basically the same. I'm dreading this!!!

I do 4 A-levels, and I'm re-taking a few modules for maths; and stupidly Unit 3 eco to go for an A* (Big mistake, I don't even think I'll get an A at this rate...)

Have you done many practice essays? I'm really struggling with a June 11 past paper, I just don't feel like I know enough!!

wow I dont think i'd cope with 4, got enough to revise with econ alone!
yeah i messed up unit 3, mainly coz i decided to do the question on banks not the yoghurt question and then halfway through realised i had no clue what the questions were on about!

no coz there's only 2 past papers from this syllabus so I've had a quick look but not really looked at many of the questions yet :s
Reply 28
Bump
Reply 29
Original post by JosieG
oh godd I'm dreading this exam. So much to learn and so little time!

i'm basically re-writing all my notes but that's still going to take me ages. not to mention learning it all and doing some practise questions.

just out of interest, does anyone happen to have a list of possible questions/bullet point plans for the 20 and 30 mark questions? my teacher said that there was only a limited number of topics that can actually come up in this bit and I thought if i learnt basic plans for some questions then hopefully that's half the paper sorted! :smile:

you know when you say rewrite your notes, do you actually write them out in a book? does it help just rewriting notes?
thanks
Reply 30
Original post by Riz10
you know when you say rewrite your notes, do you actually write them out in a book? does it help just rewriting notes?
thanks

I dont write them out word for word, i simplify my notes from class and just include the bits i need - dont know if it helps but i dont know what else to do!
Reply 31
Original post by Sophie1805
Yeah I feel the time constraint BIG time. However, have you seen what the old GCE was like with Edexcel? Previous to the 2008 change? They had 6 units and the time constraint was horrendous! It makes me feel better about it... :laugh:

Yeah I'm basically doing the same as you, I'm revising for the ones coming up, and then relying on half term to cram for the other 6... Maybe not the best idea, but I really have no choice - I guess.

What are your requirements for university? How likely are you to meeting them? Personally, I feel I could easily get 4B's, but getting two of them up to A's is killing me!! Kind of regretting choosing the offers I did.

Yesss! Omg so glad they've changed ittt
But it kinda sucks that we don't have that many past papers to work from :frown:

Ahh samee! Got 3 exams each week after half term and then I'm doneeeeeee :biggrin:

AAA :frown: Yeaah, I think ABB is realistic BUTTT I'm still trying to be optimistic and aim for AAA haha.
I get what you meaaan, I'm just seriously hoping that I don't have to go through clearing and that my firm will be lenient if I miss by a grade :tongue:
Reply 32
Does anyone know where I can download the old curriculum pastpapers for unit 6? There are only about 2-3 papers in freeexampapers and xtremepapers.
Reply 33
I've been finding the data response section of this paper so much easier than the essay section, because most of the time the answers to the questions are in the case study :biggrin:

The biggest problem I have is that I tend to spend too long on the 20 mark essay, then by the time I've done the 30 mark as well I've already used 1h15m, then have to do the data response in 45 mins...

I need 69/120 for an A.... wish I had done more work for unit 3 now, I've locked myself out of the A* boundary by 2 UMS!
Reply 34
Original post by ezioaudi77
Does anyone know where I can download the old curriculum pastpapers for unit 6? There are only about 2-3 papers in freeexampapers and xtremepapers.

I've got a June 2005 Unit 6 paper if it isn't on those websites?
Reply 35
Original post by whatever_x
I've got a June 2005 Unit 6 paper if it isn't on those websites?

Yup I got the 2005 paper and the 2008 and 2009 June papers. But I couldn't find ANY other papers in unit 6 :frown:
Reply 36
Original post by ezioaudi77
Yup I got the 2005 paper and the 2008 and 2009 June papers. But I couldn't find ANY other papers in unit 6 :frown:

Just found this, from 2006
Hey guys, good luck with your exam!

Btw random question..about unit 1 and 2..do you think that it's possible to try and teach yourself? I'm doing my AS this year and I made the mistake of picking bio instead of this..so how hard would it be to teach yourself those 2 units?

Reply 38
Original post by whatever_x
Just found this, from 2006

Thanks :smile: I did some searching of my own and found some section A questions as well(attached here).

But I cannot find section B parts :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by iMe
I've been finding the data response section of this paper so much easier than the essay section, because most of the time the answers to the questions are in the case study :biggrin:

The biggest problem I have is that I tend to spend too long on the 20 mark essay, then by the time I've done the 30 mark as well I've already used 1h15m, then have to do the data response in 45 mins...

I need 69/120 for an A.... wish I had done more work for unit 3 now, I've locked myself out of the A* boundary by 2 UMS!

i know what u mean about the data response and essay timing lol.

im sure you can still get a* if u get 111 in this paper cos we need average of 90 ums over units 3 and 4 right ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending