The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology Unit 2 6BIO2 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by blingmonkeys
Yes please, would be much appreciated

i posted them on this thread; its in post #35 :smile: 2012 unit 2 paper and marking scheme .. hope it helps..
Reply 81
Did anyone think the Unit 1 paper we sat last week went really bad for them, because for me it went really bad. So bad, that there are no words to describe it.:frown:
I've got a few questions from previous papers, and would be grateful if someone could help.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6BI02_01_que_20100119.pdf - link to the paper.

Q1a)i) (can't believe I got the first question on the paper wrong!) But what does it mean by 'genetic material is separate strands in animal and plant cells"? I understand the bit about the circular stuff, I assume it's talking about nucleoids, but what does the strand bit mean?

Also for q3a)i) How do you identify that that's a xylem vessel? As I only got it right because I read the description in ii) but I'm not sure what features I'm meant to be looking out for to spot the xylem vessel...

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by jerichi
I posted a link earlier and I just realised that those who don't have an account won't be able to access it so I'm going to attach the notes here. Although it would be advisable to sign up for that site cause it has very helpful notes!! :smile:

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/edexcel_biology_unit_2_notes

Oh! And the attached notes are in parts so follow the number order! It's a continuous file but I had to break it down cause it was too big to upload altogether. Follow the numbers for it to make sense and part 5 is split into two cause it was too big still :P
I DON'T OWN THE NOTES AND I DIDN;T WRITE THEM!

Hope they helped and if they don't open or something just tell me and I can email it to you. Send me your address in my inbox though! There was also an audio of the notes that was too big to upload here so if you want it and learn better by listening send me your email in my inbox! ONLY MY INBOX please cause if it's on here I won't bother to sift through pages to find it :/ I'm too lazy. If you do inbox me specify what you would like okay? Once again I don't own the notes and I didn't make them :biggrin:

Seriously hope this helps!!

xo

Thank You Jerichi!
Do you think this has everything we need to know??
Reply 84
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I've got a few questions from previous papers, and would be grateful if someone could help.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6BI02_01_que_20100119.pdf - link to the paper.

Q1a)i) (can't believe I got the first question on the paper wrong!) But what does it mean by 'genetic material is separate strands in animal and plant cells"? I understand the bit about the circular stuff, I assume it's talking about nucleoids, but what does the strand bit mean?

Also for q3a)i) How do you identify that that's a xylem vessel? As I only got it right because I read the description in ii) but I'm not sure what features I'm meant to be looking out for to spot the xylem vessel...

Thanks! :smile:

1.a.i. Genetic material within humans is separate stands, this is talking about how our chromosomes are de-condensed...
Remember during mitosis the chromosomes become visible because they condense... well normally in a cell when MITOSIS IS NOT OCCURRING the chromosomes exist as separate strands- they are DE-CONDENSED

3.a.i. Xylem Vessels :
- Made of dead cells, joined end to end with NO END WALLS between them and a long hole (lumen) down the middle, this allows efficient transport
- They have thick side walls
.......... that's all I know I'm afraid

Have you checked the mark scheme?
Original post by 007Shella
1.a.i. Genetic material within humans is separate stands, this is talking about how our chromosomes are de-condensed...
Remember during mitosis the chromosomes become visible because they condense... well normally in a cell when MITOSIS IS NOT OCCURRING the chromosomes exist as separate strands- they are DE-CONDENSED

3.a.i. Xylem Vessels :
- Made of dead cells, joined end to end with NO END WALLS between them and a long hole (lumen) down the middle, this allows efficient transport

Thanks, I understand the first point, and for 3ai, I'm referring to the image. I wasn't sure how you can tell that it's a xylem vessel from the image.
Reply 86
Thanks, I understand the first point, and for 3ai, I'm referring to the image. I wasn't sure how you can tell that it's a xylem vessel from the image.

Well ... It looks like it has a long lumen going all the way down
lol
Well ... It looks like it has a long lumen going all the way down
lol

:redface: That's what I thought. And I don't know what lignin looks like... :tongue:
Reply 88
:redface: That's what I thought. And I don't know what lignin looks like... :tongue:

Neither do I... lol

I guess that was a vague diagram O.O
Reply 89
Did this exam last year, if anyone wants exam tips or anything like that, i'd be happy to help! just let me know! :biggrin:

good luck with revision guys!
Reply 90
Original post by Lucozad
Did anyone think the Unit 1 paper we sat last week went really bad for them, because for me it went really bad. So bad, that there are no words to describe it.:frown:

Yeah, I think it went pretty badly for me. :frown: I was only dropping like 5 marks in all the past papers I was doing, and I was feeling pretty confident about it, but it just didn't go well. The first few questions were alright, then once I hit the question where you had to describe the practical, it just started going downhill. Usually they make it so obvious which core practical you have to describe, and its just a case of regurgitating the steps involved, but it was different... And then there were barely any questions about the actual content, and so many 'common sense' ones, where you just had to guess and hope for the best...

I'm hoping this unit 2 paper is more like normal! :s-smilie:
Reply 91

I got stuck on that question when I did that paper too... but it was easy to figure out because of part ii).... I hate all the electron micrograph organelle/structure-related stuff...
Reply 92

3.a.i. Xylem Vessels :

Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question... when/where do you get the coiled DNA double helix? I'm getting so confused between chromosomes/chromatids blah blah blah... :frown:
Reply 93
Original post by jerichi
Hey! The link is great! I found another one that I was using and it's really good too!

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/edexcel_biology_unit_2_notes

It's literally the WHOLE of unit 2 summarised with great detail still. It would be helpful :smile:

And don't worry about the paper. It'll be fine. You sound like you've revised your butt off so it will be fruitful :smile: Don't fret!
xo

Hey, thanks for this link! Just managed to recap all the content in 45 minutes compared to the 3+ hours it usually takes me! :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by ummm
Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question... when/where do you get the coiled DNA double helix? I'm getting so confused between chromosomes/chromatids blah blah blah... :frown:

The DNA is always and normally coiled in the nucles... it only uncoils during Transcription

DNA now... Is usually associated with various proteins.. such as histones
The DNA-Protein complex is called chromatin, it's organised into long thin fibres that is coiled to form a chromosome

Now Chromosomes are shaped like an X
in the centre of the X< there is a centromere which holds the sister chromatids together

so when the Chromosome X splits (during mitosis) to give you two singular strands... each one of those strands is a chromatid

two chromatids stuck at the their centromeres are called a chromosome
Original post by Lucozad

I know the feeling :C I thought i was absolutely horrible.
Reply 97
Original post by ToMuchAtOnce
Thank You Jerichi!
Do you think this has everything we need to know??

Haha you're welcome and yeah I think it does :smile: But if you're still unsure you could always skim through your text book. I was reading through the notes yesterday (the ones I uploaded) and I thought they were fine :smile:
xo
Reply 98
Original post by ummm
Hey, thanks for this link! Just managed to recap all the content in 45 minutes compared to the 3+ hours it usually takes me! :biggrin:

Hi! Hahaha seriously?! Well that's awesome! And it's fine lol I'm glad they were helpful! You're very welcome :biggrin:
xo
Here are my notes for Cells and Plants and the core practicals..
:smile:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48506933/AS-Edexcel-Biology-Core-Practical-Summary

Quick Reply

Latest