The Student Room Group

Help!!AQA gcse english literature exam unit 1!!

Could anyone help please?!!!
i am really stuck on the exam revision, i don't know how to revise for the exams:frown:
I am doing the sunlight on the grass anthology and the of mice and men
How do you guys revise for the exam?
And can anyone help me with answering the questions please?!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what does the 'sunlight on the grass anthology' consist of? poems? short stories?

I did a slightly different specification to you I think ....:L but I did get two A*'s for Englishh
Reply 2
Hey I'm doing Of Mice and Men too and I'm really worried... I've just reread it and thought about themes and characters etc.
Reply 3
For of mice and men, part A is a question on a character or theme and part B is all about context. The book was set in 1930s America after the 1929 Wall Street crash.

Oh I'm doing sunlight in the grass as well. Here's the link for bitesize just click on whatever text you are studying. Scroll down to the bottom and there's the 3 sections form the anthology. Its really good stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/

Happy Revising! :biggrin:
Reply 4
How long do you think we should spend on each question? And do you know the marks weighting? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by DE!
what does the 'sunlight on the grass anthology' consist of? poems? short stories?

I did a slightly different specification to you I think ....:L but I did get two A*'s for English

Its about short stories

I am aiming for an a/a* could you teach me how to revise for the english exam please?:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by panic king
How long do you think we should spend on each question? And do you know the marks weighting? Thanks

Its 30 marks each section and we are advised to spend 45 minutes on each section
Reply 7
Original post by cloud19
Its 30 marks each section and we are advised to spend 45 minutes on each section

Ok :smile: thank you
So in the Of Mice and Men question when we have two questions do we combine the two in our answer? Thanks
The GCSE exam is much easier than you'd think, for Mice and Men just make sure to talk about major themes such as isolation,dreams,prejudice etc.. and refer to the rabbits for dreams :wink:
Reply 9
Hi I have the same exams can someone post a mock question and show how to answer it because it's the only way I learn and my teacher is off ill.
Thanks
Reply 10
I'm doing relationships anthropology why am I doing something different?
Reply 11
Its about short stories

I am aiming for an a/a* could you teach me how to revise for the english exam please?

i have an a level literature exam in like 3 hours so it will have to be after that haha, but yeah suree...the gcse exam is so easy yanoo!
For Section B on Of Mice and Men, what extract do you think they would use for a question on Lennie?
Looking at... every past paper I can find, I reckon there is a very high chance of 'On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning' (longest title ever) coming up. Because I haven't seen it on any of them. So revise that one in particular because, it's not exactly the best story to write about, it's one of those stories where you completely forget what happens in it. Perhaps it will ask about relationship, or presentation of characters. The dude is a bit strange:

"Much as I like noses, I can't quite recall the shape of hers- or even if she had one."

Yeeeah. Okay.

For OMAM.

What has come up previously:

-Candy
-George and Lennie's relationship
-The bunkhouse (the extract was a description of it.)

KNOW THE CONTEXT. Part B will be about society at the time.
Know about the depression, migration of farm workers, the dust bowl, how women were viewed at the time, the American Dream. How does Steinbeck show this, the impossibility of the American Dream?

Revision for OMAM:

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/micemen/context.html

Has EVERYTHING.

Revision for short stories:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/videos

This dude has podcasts on every single short story and they are brilliant.

Good luck.
Reply 14
Original post by non
I'm doing relationships anthropology why am I doing something different?

I'm doing Relationships poetry aswell inn the Moon On The Tides anthology!
I'm more worried for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men rather than the poetry though :frown:
Ok :smile: thank you
So in the Of Mice and Men question when we have two questions do we combine the two in our answer? Thanks

Hi, I'm doing OMAM too. You should do the questions SEPARATELY! It says "do part a) then part b). So do them separately :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Dandaman9999
Hi, I'm doing OMAM too. You should do the questions SEPARATELY! It says "do part a) then part b). So do them separately :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 17

30 marks per 1 big question, so you will be answering 2 big question (anthology short story a+b)/ (or inspector calls) Or of mice and men, the paper is worth 60 marks :eek:
Reply 18
I am sitting the same exam .. I am scared. Can someone help me here..because I do not get the second part question in Of Mice and Men AQA question. I meant like if it says for example: ....'present Candy in the novel/as a whole to convey....' - how should i answer it like do I look at the extract itself for this second part question or the NOVEL AS A WHOLE?

Please could u make it clear whether these two questions ask different areas in which Candy/someone is presented?
thank you guys. and yeah i have the exam 22nd May it's worth 60 marks: OMAM and Insptor calls
Original post by m.styles
I am sitting the same exam .. I am scared. Can someone help me here..because I do not get the second part question in Of Mice and Men AQA question. I meant like if it says for example: ....'present Candy in the novel/as a whole to convey....' - how should i answer it like do I look at the extract itself for this second part question or the NOVEL AS A WHOLE?

Please could u make it clear whether these two questions ask different areas in which Candy/someone is presented?
thank you guys. and yeah i have the exam 22nd May it's worth 60 marks: OMAM and Insptor calls

Always refer to the extract, rarely in any other part of the novel. By "novel as a whole" it means how can you see from this extract the ways in which Steinback describes Candy or whatever the question is.,etc...

For your second question, the first part of the OMAM question is on a character/theme and the second part is about context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending