Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the benefits of Automatic Cars?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

and what are the drawbacks?

THANKS ! SOLVED
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    they have 4 wheels
    drawbacks? Your left arm would loose muscle
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkTitan)
    they have 4 wheels
    drawbacks? Your left arm would loose muscle
    That really help :rolleyes:

I heard this - Is this True or False

---- If You Learn in an Auto , and get an Auto Licence

Do you need to Retake your Test again after an X amount of years? If You have an Automatic Licence.

Thank You
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    That really help :rolleyes:

I heard this - Is this True or False

---- If You Learn in an Auto , and get an Auto Licence

Do you need to Retake your Test again after an X amount of years? If You have an Automatic Licence.

Thank You
    Why would you need to retake your test again? The only reason you will is when you want to drive a manual. If you have an automatic license then you can't drive a manual. If you have a manual license then you can drive both
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer247)
    Why would you need to retake your test again? The only reason you will is when you want to drive a manual. If you have an automatic license then you can't drive a manual. If you have a manual license then you can drive both
    I was told that --- If i get a Auto Licence i will have to take the test every 2-3 years? Because its Automatic? and driving Auto ::confused::confused:Have i been trolled?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Allows you to use your right hand to jack off/eat etc
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Or Shoot up, Or have a smoke or drink while driving.

Only take your test once either an Auto Licence or Manual for it to last forever, but to drive a Manual you have to take a manual test even if you have an auto licence
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

and what are the drawbacks?
    My first car was a manual, second (and current) is an automatic.

Some people would argue that manuals are more fun to drive as the experience is more hands on, with gear changes and what not.

With an automatic, there's much less to do - especially if it has cruise control.

It also depends on the engine type and make of car - my car has kick down which means if I want to overtake, the car will go to a lower gear so I have the burst of acceleration needed to overtake. The manual equivalent would be to go down a gear or 2 in order to get the extra power needed to overtake.

You're also much more likely to blow your head gasket in a manual, depending on your driving style. Automatics still have gears, but the car changes up or down by itself depending on revs - so there's not much risk of damaging the car by over-revving.

It's also impossible to stall an automatic (unless the car has a fault) - good for people who struggle with hill starts.

With my experience of both, I prefer automatic much more than manual. Especially for long distance driving. Automatic is probably better for nervous drivers, as not having to worry about gears allows you to concentrate on other aspects of driving.

However, I would suggest that everyone learns to drive in a manual as otherwise, you will be restricted to automatic vehicles only unless you retake your test in a manual.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, with automatics, you won't have issues with sticky gear sticks...the bane of my life.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Also, with automatics, you won't have issues with sticky gear sticks...the bane of my life.
    Wow, Thank You for that! That really helped alot !

One last thing - can you Confirm if this is right or wrong

--- If you learn an Automatic and get an Automatic Licence -- Do you have to re take your test every (x) amount of years? Or is the licence permanant
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, Thank You for that! That really helped alot !

One last thing - can you Confirm if this is right or wrong

--- If you learn an Automatic and get an Automatic Licence -- Do you have to re take your test every (x) amount of years? Or is the licence permanant
    The licence is permanent as far as I know.

Have you taken your test yet? Why are you asking about automatics? If you are learning, it's best to do so, and take your test, in a manual.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)

Have you taken your test yet? Why are you asking about automatics? If you are learning, it's best to do so, and take your test, in a manual.
    Thanks for this info!! has helped

It's also impossible to stall an automatic (unless the car has a fault) - good for people who struggle with hill starts.

Hate this!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)

Thank You for that!!

Have you taken your test yet?

No

Why are you asking about automatics?

Im Learning/Starting , Thinking Auto or Manuall, Going for Auto now!

Thanks SOLVED
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks SOLVED
    Why are you making an auto/manual decision before you've even passed your test?

Why are you reluctant to learn in a manual?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Why are you making an auto/manual decision before you've even passed your test?

Why are you reluctant to learn in a manual?
    Congratz firstly on 6k+ posts

Im learning an Manual and Hate it thats why i want to change and simply get and learn an auto!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    automatic cars are for old people and women (with the exception of big cars such as an x5 or range rover), save your ego.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it allows you to put your left hand over your eyes to make the driving experience that little bit more adventurous.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stryder402)
    automatic cars are for old people and women (with the exception of big cars such as an x5 or range rover), save your ego.
    I can only assume you've never driven an automatic.

Presumably, it's out of your price range.

Unlucky.

:borat:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congratz firstly on 6k+ posts
    Thanks - I hadn't even realised...

Im learning an Manual and Hate it thats why i want to change and simply get and learn an auto!
    Trust me - stick with the manual and pass your test in it.

It might be more agro for you, but learning in a manual will open your eyes to different aspects of motoring.

If you can crack a manual, you're good to go!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    You're also much more likely to blow your head gasket in a manual, depending on your driving style. Automatics still have gears, but the car changes up or down by itself depending on revs - so there's not much risk of damaging the car by over-revving.
    Sorry but this is not strictly true. Over-revving is when you rev the engine beyond the maximum RPM it was designed for. If you are truly over-revving your engine, then you've got big problems. Cars have rev limiters to stop you going beyond the design limits of the engine. If revving slightly harder (say 5000 rpm), did serious damage to your car's engine, then the manufacturer would have placed a rev limiter below this figure to prevent this.

Yes, there is no chance of mis-shifting (and subsequent over-revving) when driving an auto, but I don't think you were referring to this. The automatic gearbox is not in total control of when the engine shifts. If you put your foot flat to the floor, the engine will still rev to the red line.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.