Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you write this history essay?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I have my AS history exam tomorrow and I'm prepared for all the topic apart from one.
    It's the one about 'To what extent was Napoleon a dictator..' or along those lines. But I really don't know how to go about writing this essay.

1) Go through each reform/policy and argue how it did show he was a dictator. Then in the paragraph straight after argue how it didn't show he was a dictator

or

2) Do a two sided essay where I argue one whole side about what shows he was a dictator and then the opposite.

I'm just not sure which would be more effective for this type of question, I would usually do it thematically but this doesn't really lend itself to that.
    Any help?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would do the second, but be sure to make a clear judgement on the question.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    I would do the second, but be sure to make a clear judgement on the question.
    Yeah, I try to make judgements at the end of most paragraphs and then again in the conclusion. I much prefer to write it like that but apparently it's less sophisticated?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What exam board? You could always look at the mark scheme (the highest marked answers for the AQA 'how important...' or 'to what extent...' questions tend to be the ones with a balance between the two, but also with a developed argument) and suck up to that. If I were you, I'd do the second one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    What exam board? You could always look at the mark scheme (the highest marked answers for the AQA 'how important...' or 'to what extent...' questions tend to be the ones with a balance between the two, but also with a developed argument) and suck up to that. If I were you, I'd do the second one.
    It's OCR but the mark schemes are quite generic and only tell you what info should be talked about and not how to write it. But I agree, the 2nd one seems to be easier for me to write
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have any advice?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure how it works with OCR but for AQA you argue both sides of the argument and then make a clear judgement. For me in past exam questions I have done for revision I have listed the reasons the holocaust was decided upon before 42, and reasons for it being after etc and then made my verdict. I also find is that whatever point you make, always do a strength and weakness of it and THEN GIVE overall view of opinion on it. Hope that helps!e & Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, I'm also doing this exam tomorrow!
    I split this essay into different sections: Religous Change, Education, Propaganda & Censorship, Repression and Reform

I then put one side of the argument that he was a dictator at first with examples then would argue against it saying he wasn't (liberator).

Hope this helps!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Second option, split it half and half with a case for both sides of the argument then make your mind up in the conclusion.

Good luck!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you're prepared for every other topic then surely you can leave that Q alone (as you have to answer 2/3) assuming it comes up?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouth)
    Anyone else have any advice?
    decide on whether or not he was. say you decide that he was, i'd set it out intro, first half filled with reasons he was, second half he wasn't, conclusion comparing the two and explaining why the second paragraph (the one that explains why he was) has greater impact than the first.

eg

intro - explain that there are two sides of the argument and why, perhaps giving a few examples

first half - why he wasn't a dictator. define what it means to be a dictator perhaps, and then find examples of him not acting like one, like freedoms he gave people or his politics or whatever.

second half - why he WAS. same as above, examples of how he meets the criteria of dictator.

conclusion - how the points from the latter half of the essay (that point to him being a dictator) overwhelm the points from the beginning of the essay (that he wasn't). perhaps point out how strong the argument for him not being a dictator is though (if it is strong of course)

good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by csimpson19)
    Heyy, I'm also doing this exam tomorrow!
    I split this essay into different sections: Religous Change, Education, Propaganda & Censorship, Repression and Reform

I then put one side of the argument that he was a dictator at first with examples then would argue against it saying he wasn't (liberator).

Hope this helps!
    How did it go?
    I had to do question 1 and 2 as we didn't really learn empire. Question one was brilliant, but I had no idea on number 2. The whole school was annoyed about that one :P Oh well!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dictatorship didn't even come up.

Weaknesses of the Directory (Rise to Power) question was okay but... "Assess the reasons why Napoleon made himself Emperor"? Seriously? Dodgy question but I obviously had to do it cos I didn't know anything about his influence on the Empire or anything along those lines.

How'd you guys find it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennetha)
    Dictatorship didn't even come up.

Weaknesses of the Directory (Rise to Power) question was okay but... "Assess the reasons why Napoleon made himself Emperor"? Seriously? Dodgy question but I obviously had to do it cos I didn't know anything about his influence on the Empire or anything along those lines.

How'd you guys find it?
    I also had to do the emporer question because I didn't learn empire. I gave it my best shot, but it wasn't very good. It's a shame, the whole school was annoyed. Hopefully it lowers boundaries I guess!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also had this exam today.
    And I also, had to do questions 1 & 2 as we didn't learn the Empire in much detail. The first question I found pretty straight forward, but had no idea how to do the second. We went to see our teacher after, and he even said he'd have trouble answering it. With everyone complaining I think that there will be some kind of complaint somewhere, as him crowning as Emperor was not highly featured on the specification, and if not, grade boundaries should be very low.
    It's over now, and all we can do is wait!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emcar95)
    I also had this exam today.
    And I also, had to do questions 1 & 2 as we didn't learn the Empire in much detail. The first question I found pretty straight forward, but had no idea how to do the second. We went to see our teacher after, and he even said he'd have trouble answering it. With everyone complaining I think that there will be some kind of complaint somewhere, as him crowning as Emperor was not highly featured on the specification, and if not, grade boundaries should be very low.
    It's over now, and all we can do is wait!
    That's good to know, I wasn't the only one who found it really difficult. I mean, I think I had some good points in there but it was lost amongst a bad structure and a load of irrelevent waffle
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of waffle in my essays too My teacher & I have conversations the bottom of my essays.

As an A2 student the first structure seems way more sophisticated/what they're looking for. I've been threatened by many history teachers that if I split things into 'yes' and 'no' in an essay they'll hunt me down. :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.