Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dont know what to do

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think that everyone's opinion is valid and I am also aware that there are different family dynamics all over the country.

However, the government and Student Loans Company actually suggest that parents help their children through university. This is why they offer grants to families that can't afford to help fund their children with a little extra money! (Think about it, it's based on your parents income and not yours for a reason....). They are expecting your parents to be helping you otherwise their income would be irrelevant.

As with all things in politics/government it's not all black and white. That's why some people end up with grants and money from parents while some get no grant and no money from parents. By the same account, I can't see the gvt. forcing parents to fund their children and that is why they strongly suggest it instead.

Twilightmad - I would talk to your parents seriously about this and try to gather a solid reason to why they won't hand over the details. You could be missing out on a lot of funding and they need to understand that.

I really hope that this helps.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Adults can rely on the state to make ends meet from time to time, during times of unemployment how many adults ask their parents for money on top of JSA?
    And it's not like student loans don't get paid back is it, if it weren't the government it'd be private sector companies offering the loans at poor rates.
    I fail to see how it's even close to being related to why your parents should give you money toward uni.

They're not obligated to do anything.
    JSA is designed to be a reasonable payment for a jobseeker to subsist on, accompanied if necessary by housing benefit and other stipends. A student loan, at its lowest level, is specifically designed to be augmented by parental help.

Student loans very often aren't paid back, because people don't earn enough to clear the full balance. Furthermore, the grants for poorer students don't have to be paid back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael321)
    JSA is designed to be a reasonable payment for a jobseeker to subsist on, accompanied if necessary by housing benefit and other stipends. A student loan, at its lowest level, is specifically designed to be augmented by parental help.

Student loans very often aren't paid back, because people don't earn enough to clear the full balance. Furthermore, the grants for poorer students don't have to be paid back.
    I've always said student loans should be a flat rate, just because the government designed their student loans system around perfect families doesn't make it any more acceptable to take money from your parents as an adult.
    More to the point it's a broken system, people who earn toward the lower thresholds statistically have more expendable income, they're unlikely to have a mortgage or large financial commitments and rarely pay into an occupational or private pension scheme.

The student loan system itself is a shambles.
    And most student loans are paid back, unless you do a ****ing art course or something which basically guarantees you a job in mcdonalds unless you do a pcge and teach the next lot. Don't get me wrong I love art and music but I think a degree in the subject is 3 years wasted.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always said student loans should be a flat rate, just because the government designed their student loans system around perfect families doesn't make it any more acceptable to take money from your parents as an adult.
    More to the point it's a broken system, people who earn toward the lower thresholds statistically have more expendable income, they're unlikely to have a mortgage or large financial commitments and rarely pay into an occupational or private pension scheme.

The student loan system itself is a shambles.
    And most student loans are paid back, unless you do a ****ing art course or something which basically guarantees you a job in mcdonalds unless you do a pcge and teach the next lot. Don't get me wrong I love art and music but I think a degree in the subject is 3 years wasted.
    Yup, agree that loans should be a flat rate and that certain subjects should not be funded. But given the state of the current system, a parent who refuses to help when they have the means - and certainly a parent who won't even fill in a sodding form - quite possibly prejudices their child's degree success, and I reserve the right to consider them a bit of a dick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How so?

If you're old enough to go out in the world and do your own thing, your parents aren't obligated to help you at all and nor should they be.
    It's a little rude not helping with student finance applications but it certainly doesn't make them despicable.
    I think he means to work out household income....not to take it from them directly...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2013
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.