Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was I in the wrong?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok...so just before I was driving back from school.
    I got to a mini round a bout where I was turning off right. At the same time, a car straight ahead who I am meant to give way to (there is only three entrances/exits to the roundabout) approached the roundabout but wasn't indicating so I believed he was going straight therefore I was able to go. As soon as I entered the roundabout the car not indicating actually turned right too. Had he not slammed on his brakes he would have gone straight in the side of me.

He promptly stuck his two fingers up at me.

Was it my fault? should I have waited instead of acting on his "no signal" or was it his fault for simply not indicating right to where he was going?

it has shaken me up a little bit
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's a bit of both. You don't have to indicate at mini-roundabouts, even though it's helpful, so he should have indicated if he saw you, but you should have been prepared that he could have been turning across your path.

Edit: I'm just quoting what my driving instructor told me. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I misunderstood the context or maybe it's different in NI compared to mainland UK.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you draw a picture of the angles between the roads? By both of you turning right and him almost hitting you, I'm picturing that he was to the right of you and wanted to take the exit after you, with you wanting to take the road he was coming from?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    His fault for not indicating. Mini-roundabouts can be annoying at the best of times, it doesn't help when people refuse to show their intentions.

EDIT: I mis-read. If he had right of way then you probably should have just waited. However, he hasn't helped the situation by not indicating.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You always have to be very cautious about car signalling and roundabouts - a lot of them don't bother to put their signal on or they indicate wrongly. Keep safe, and just wait till they come past or exit the roundabout.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    I imagine it's a bit of both. You don't have to indicate at mini-roundabouts, even though it's helpful, so he should have indicated if he saw you, but you should have been prepared that he could have been turning across your path.
    Since when?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Since when?
    Well, that's what my driving instructor's been telling me. Maybe it's different in NI.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your fault, as even though he did not indicate, he had right of way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more his fault.

If you are going right at a mini roundabout, you indicate right. If you are going left, you indicate left. If you are going straight ahead, you don't indicate. Because he didn't indicate, it implied that he was going straight over.

I guess if you had to argue who's fault it was, it would be more his for not indicating. The fact that he stuck his two fingers up probably means he was in the wrong. People get aggressive when they are wrong :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Can you draw a picture of the angles between the roads? By both of you turning right and him almost hitting you, I'm picturing that he was to the right of you and wanted to take the exit after you, with you wanting to take the road he was coming from?
    Yes that's right!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's what my driving instructor's been telling me. Maybe it's different in NI.
    I've never seen anyone not indicate at a roundabout intentionally unless they are going straight - mini or big?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippie2222)
    I've never seen anyone not indicate at a roundabout intentionally unless they are going straight - mini or big?
    I always do (unless I'm going straight), so I'm not entirely sure, but my instructor definitely said (when I had to go the whole way round), you don't need to indicate at minis.
    I dunno. Like I said, maybe it's an NI thing (assuming you're from mainland UK), since we have other weird regulations and things that you don't.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you'd crashed it would be your fault in the insurance's eyes. Roundabouts are tricky as you have to use your best judgement with everyone going onto it. Use indicators (but they are so often used wrong), the speed someone's coming up to the junction, where the driver is looking etc. to judge them better. You'll get better with practice and if in doubt, don't go on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You musst indicate if you're turning right! It's supposed to stop things like that happening...

You're not in the wrong although in a situation like that I purposely hold for a little while, my mum hates it, but it allows me to be sure they're not going to manouver like that.

Happy driving!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batchelora)
    You musst indicate if you're turning right! It's supposed to stop things like that happening...

You're not in the wrong although in a situation like that I purposely hold for a little while, my mum hates it, but it allows me to be sure they're not going to manouver like that.

Happy driving!
    Like I said, maybe I misunderstood my driving instructors context (y'know, maybe he meant 'you don't need to indicate to the left when you're leaving') or maybe it's different here, since we do have some differences in road rules.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always do (unless I'm going straight), so I'm not entirely sure, but my instructor definitely said (when I had to go the whole way round), you don't need to indicate at minis.
    I dunno. Like I said, maybe it's an NI thing (assuming you're from mainland UK), since we have other weird regulations and things that you don't.
    Aaahhh yes I am from UK...maybe it depends on just how tiny the roundabout is? Thanks for your help!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Well, if you'd crashed it would be your fault in the insurance's eyes. Roundabouts are tricky as you have to use your best judgement with everyone going onto it. Use indicators (but they are so often used wrong), the speed someone's coming up to the junction, where the driver is looking etc. to judge them better. You'll get better with practice and if in doubt, don't go on.
    Thank you for your help!! I agree - I think I should have probably just waited - I was in the wrong for presuming he wouldn't be crossing my path!

Well I don't think I'll be making that mistake again!! Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I think it's more his fault.

If you are going right at a mini roundabout, you indicate right. If you are going left, you indicate left. If you are going straight ahead, you don't indicate. Because he didn't indicate, it implied that he was going straight over.

I guess if you had to argue who's fault it was, it would be more his for not indicating. The fact that he stuck his two fingers up probably means he was in the wrong. People get aggressive when they are wrong :P
    Hahaha I was like :O don't you stick your two fingers up at me mr angry! now the shock has kind of warn off I think that it was my fault for not holding back a little longer and making sure he wasn't going to be turning right and crossing my path but hey ho he should have indicated!

Thank you for your help xxx
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should always assume that someone on a roundabout with no indicator is going to pass you. That way you will stay safe.

However, don't get too worried about it, it was a mistake, no one got hurt, just be careful in future
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippie2222)
    Yes that's right!
    What are the angles between the roads? Unfortunately I think I'd say it was your fault unless your and his entry roads were in line with his exit off to your left. He should have indicated, but unless it was clear which exit he was going to take you should have held back as he had right of way, coming from your right.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.