Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need a hobby! :(

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That sounds so pathetic, I know.

I finish college and exams soon, and work will only give me an extra day a week during the holidays. And it has hit me that without college work and actual work... I have nothing to do.

My friends all have jobs and hobbies, which I've tried getting into but none of them have made me go "Yeah, I like this!" (Most of them are sports, music or science-related tbf, but hey-ho.)

I want to feel passionate about something, I want to be able to talk to people about my hobbies and my spare time. It's so frustrating that nothing seems to captivate my interest. I am totally open to any suggestions (God knows I'll have the time to try them! lol)

(I can't play any instruments, by the way. I've tried to, but I don't really have the patience or self-discipline to keep it up.)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can play an instrument to a decent level, try joining an orchestra
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartdjokovic)
    If you can play an instrument to a decent level, try joining an orchestra
    I can't play any instruments :/ Probably shoulda mentioned that :L But thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    how about climbing? reading into something interesting??

i dont have any inexpensive hobbies, so im a bit in the same boat, so ive decided to get fit
    lots of free time so im just going to be running all time, doing pressups, stuff like that.

may join chess... i always liked chess... but trust me.. i wont be talking to anybody about that :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    why don't you learn to play an instrument, the generic guitar is a good start.
    but then again you should do something that your passionate about, and thats the whole point of a hobby, otherwise what is it?
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some hobbies of mine in case it gives you some ideas: badminton, programming, piano, chess, books, aikido, learning languages. Try to work out what you're interested in, then just try to leave some spare time to pursue it. If you enjoy it, it shouldn't be too difficult.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fitness? It's more of an individual thing unless you join a gym and do 'group activities', but keeping up my fitness with running, swimming, football and trying to eat healthily gives me something to focus on and feel good about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chill543)
    how about climbing? reading into something interesting??

i dont have any inexpensive hobbies, so im a bit in the same boat, so ive decided to get fit
    lots of free time so im just going to be running all time, doing pressups, stuff like that.

may join chess... i always liked chess... but trust me.. i wont be talking to anybody about that :P
    What's wrong with chess? :P lol
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get an xbox

Many games do require patience and self-discipline, but you can play them on the easy difficulty or get types of games which are more of a kill-fest than requiring planning or strategy. Games tend to use methods to make you motivated, like giving you little rewards as you go through (xbox achievements, for example).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    why don't you learn to play an instrument, the generic guitar is a good start.
    but then again you should do something that your passionate about, and thats the whole point of a hobby, otherwise what is it?
    I did try learning an instrument for a while, but it felt too much like effort rather than something that interested me :/
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Help form a TSR MRLP?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Help form a TSR MRLP?
    What's an MRLP? O_o
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Get an xbox

Many games do require patience and self-discipline, but you can play them on the easy difficulty or get types of games which are more of a kill-fest than requiring planning or strategy. Games tend to use methods to make you motivated, like giving you little rewards as you go through (xbox achievements, for example).
    I'm in the process of saving up for a PS3 (don't go all Xbox-fanatic on me lol) but I'm not expecting to be great at the games. I'm not exactly strategic :L
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    masturbate
    xbox / ps3

or what about learning to code? or a language, something that could be useful but fun to learn at the same time?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at your local college see if they do any cheap short courses. I recently started dressmaking, its quite fun.. even if I am not very good at it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Join a book club, exercise or dance class or maybe get into something crafts based like making cards or jewellery?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about using your time to volunteer at a charity shop? Not only is is rewarding, but it will look great on your CV.

Or you could get involved with a youth organisation such as Guides or Scouts. I'm a Young Leader with the Guides and I love it, it's an interesting hobby as well that people like to talk about. And again, it looks good on your CV!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    cup stacking
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that even if there's something you're passionate about there will be times when quite a bit of effort will be required to grasp something. Passion is essential but work is just as essential if you want to get really good.

Roger Federer, "there is no substitute for hard work"

I play guitar and like running; I love both but a lot of the time lots of effort is needed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It sounds geeky but have you heard of church bellringing? It's free and sociable and I think it's quite fun

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.