Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Moles!! :O

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really do not understand moles for my chemistry gcse in 4 weeks time - my science teacher keeps explaining them to me and i still dont get them! Does anyone have any ways to help?? :confused:
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    A mole is the unit for amount. You can have a mole of atoms, molecules, ions, fish, buses...whatever Just like you can have a dozen eggs or cars or planes and so on...

1 mole is 6.02 x 1023 things.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did triple science gcse and never did moles.

If you look on the epriodic table then you'll see the atomic masses of elements. For example Hydrogen is 1, Carbon 12 and Oxygen 16. This means that 1g of Hydrogen is 1 mole and so id 12g of Carbon and 16g of Oxygen.

Like i said, i never did moles before sixth form. So if you let me know what kind of things you have to do that involve them, i can help you. But i don't want to ramble on about things that you don't need to know that might confuse you further.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay...well i kinda get that but what about all the stupid calculations and stuff? That is what makes no sense to me!!!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    As has been said above, its simply a unit of measurement for the number of particles. Moles are used because it would be impractical to talk about the number of atoms that react, as its normally trillions at a time. The mass of one mole of a molecule is equal to the relative molecular mass of the molecule, expressed in grams: for example water, H20, has a molar mass of 18g.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissarah)
    Okay...well i kinda get that but what about all the stupid calculations and stuff? That is what makes no sense to me!!!
    Like how many moles in 10g of potassium?

For that you need to do moles = mass/Mr.

Or for working out the number of moles in a solution you do (vol/1000)*concentration.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    The main equation is:

moles = mass (g) / RMM

So a question like ''how many moles of carbon are in 48 g?''

moles = 48 g / 12 (the 12 comes from the mass number of carbon in the perioidic table)

48/12 = 4 moles
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks!
    What about empirical formula?
    If its any help...I am doing OCR gateway science and some of their questions are really strangely worded!!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you react something, you need to think of moles when reacting.

Let's say HCl + NaOH = NaCl + H2O

It turns out that in the above reaction, 38.5g of HCl (1 mole) requires 40g of NaOH (one mole) to react completely. This is why we focus on moles
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Moles are nearly blind little furry things that live underground and make little mounds in the ground in my back garden. Bastards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    MASS = MR x MOLES

CONCENTRATION = MOLES / VOLUME ( IN DM3)

Each mole contains avogadros constant of particles in it. The amount of grams needed to equal avogadro's constant is, helpfully enough, the atomic mass of the element, in grams. Hence 12g of Carbon-12 is one mole.

Empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound. For example, molecular formula C6H12Cl2 simplifies down to C3H6Cl.

EDIT: Haha, awh, you're doing GCSE. That's cute. Fml. :')
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Moles:

N=M/Mr
    (N being moles, M being mass and Mr being, obviously, the Mr).

Moles in a solution:
    N=CxV
    (N being moles, C being concentration and V being volume in dm3.)
    For volume in cm3:
    N=(CxV)/1000

Draw the little triangles if it helps you, it always helped me.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.