Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How secure is wireless broadband...

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    percentage wise?
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    percentage wise?
    Percentage of what?

Wireless broadband - you mean wireless LANs or are you referring to 3G/HSDPA?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what security protocol is in use. Care to be more specific?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    38.24% more secure than the locks on my front door.
    16.94% less secure than a sun lounger with a German's towel on it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WEP is poor security, WPA is better, WPA2 is the best (but that doesn't mean it's bulletproof)
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iisjman07)
    WEP is poor security, WPA is better, WPA2 is the best (but that doesn't mean it's bulletproof)
    Thanks for this Hmm...I'm under the impression almost everyone is on wireless now - I guess I'll be ok.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    WPA2 + 10 character password should do the job. Make sure the password has 5 random numbers and 5 random letters. Also try changing the wireless channel to one that doesn't conflict with neighbours' wires devices. This is always good idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To the best hackers, none are secure, but you've got to think of the chances that someone will try hack into your network. Using WPA2 will also deter potential hackers as it is not worth their time.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    WPA2 + 10 character password should do the job. Make sure the password has 5 random numbers and 5 random letters. Also try changing the wireless channel to one that doesn't conflict with neighbours' wires devices. This is always good idea.
    How would I / how would I know how to do this? Sorry for being completely thick, but I am of late.

TY.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    How would I / how would I know how to do this? Sorry for being completely thick, but I am of late.

TY.
    To save you the hassle of installing anything most wireless channels are on 6 or 11. A good rule of thumb is to stay 5 channels away so I would pick wireless channel 1. You can do this by logging into your router. Do you know your router's log in?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    To save you the hassle of installing anything most wireless channels are on 6 or 11. A good rule of thumb is to stay 5 channels away so I would pick wireless channel 1. You can do this by logging into your router. Do you know your router's log in?
    Yup. At least I think so! Many thanks
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Three tips for secure Wi-fi:

- Give your network a name which does not indicate whose, where or what it is
    - Set it to the highest operating mode that all your devices support (i.e. n if you can get away with it, or g/n if you have to). This will also make your network faster.
    - Set up WPA2 with a strong password (10 characters or more; includes symbols, upper and lower case letters and numbers; not a dictionary word, proper name or anything else which is easily guessed) and disable WPS
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ...never as secure as ethernet :P
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A password is a good start. Some n00b in my block of flats has left their without a password. Therefore I have not bothered getting my own internet subscription.

It's the price you pay for being stoopid
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Make sure the password has 5 random numbers and 5 random letters.
    It's actually better to use four random dictionary words, than an assortment of characters, as explained in this xkcd comic.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ha!

I honestly thought this thread would be for broadband via a mobile network!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Disable your WPS or else your WPA2 key may become obtainable in plain text very quickly!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assuming this is for wireless LAN rather than mobile broadband as others have said you can't really quantify how secure it is.

To have decent security use WPA2-PSK
    Don't use an obvious key (abc123, password etc)
    Use a password that's suitable random (e.g. try one of these random.org)

If you want to improve security you could use WPA2-Enterprise but that needs a whole load of extra stuff (servers etc)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.