The Student Room Group

edinburgh or glasgow university law students please help?

i have nearly sat all my standard grades and i am not very confident about them :frown: i want to do a law degree at either edinburgh or glasgow uni and would like to ask the current students what they achieved in their standard grades and highers in order to get into the course? also what subjects did you take?
it would be a great confidence boost if i could know what others have got :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,
well im not a current student yet - starting in september at Glasgow- but I'd say you should relax :smile: They dont really care about standard grades, its all about fifth year and how many As you can get tbh. Other things come into it like personal statement, lnat, etc., but if you do well in fifth year u shud ATLEAST get a conditional. So really u can choose any highers u want in fifth year - obvi english is a must, but sciences, social sciences, languages, arts etc - doesnt really matter, just do well! But dont worry just relax :smile:
Reply 2
Hey,
I just graduated from Glasgow Uni law with a first class honours. I got eight 1s in my S Grades and AAAAB Highers in 5th year, and in 6th year I got BB in Adv Highers and an A in a Higher. So you don't need all As at school to get a first class honours. My advice would be to concentrate on subjects which are essay based as these will give you the best practice for law at uni. It's not a disaster if you don't get the grades in fifth year, because you can do access courses at uni to help you gain admission. You can also study for a different degree and then go on to do the two year postgraduate accelerated LLB afterwards. Glasgow is a really great place to study so I hope you do well in your exams and get to go there!
Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by alba13
Hey,
I just graduated from Glasgow Uni law with a first class honours. I got eight 1s in my S Grades and AAAAB Highers in 5th year, and in 6th year I got BB in Adv Highers and an A in a Higher. So you don't need all As at school to get a first class honours. My advice would be to concentrate on subjects which are essay based as these will give you the best practice for law at uni. It's not a disaster if you don't get the grades in fifth year, because you can do access courses at uni to help you gain admission. You can also study for a different degree and then go on to do the two year postgraduate accelerated LLB afterwards. Glasgow is a really great place to study so I hope you do well in your exams and get to go there!
Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

#Humblebrag much?
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
#Humblebrag much?

No. My point is not to be discouraged if your grades aren't completely perfect. Please direct your attention to a thread where you can make some kind of useful input. NB: this isn't one of those.
Reply 5
Original post by alba13
No. My point is not to be discouraged if your grades aren't completely perfect. Please direct your attention to a thread where you can make some kind of useful input. NB (sic): this isn't one of those.

N.B. "NB" should be written N.B.

She asked what you got to get in, you mentioned twice in three sentences getting a first class degree. It was a humblebrag. I don't make the rules I just call 'em.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by teach4fun
I am just going to call you "dumb ass" because she never mentioned it in three sentences, that would be impossible if she only mentioned it twice

I said "twice in three sentences". Learn to read I guess...?
Reply 7
Original post by Norton1
N.B. "NB" should be written N.B. .

Well done. You're getting closer to making a useful input. Do go on.
Reply 8
Original post by alba13
Well done. You're getting closer to making a useful input. Do go on.

Aww you're adorable.
Reply 9
Original post by alba13
Hey,
I just graduated from Glasgow Uni law with a first class honours. I got eight 1s in my S Grades and AAAAB Highers in 5th year, and in 6th year I got BB in Adv Highers and an A in a Higher. So you don't need all As at school to get a first class honours.

I have to side with Norton because that is, quite frankly, a horrible example.

It's been a decade since I completed my standard grades but my memory of them is that they were nothing to take seriously. Highers are a different kettle of fish and as you are more able to focus on subjects you enjoy it's altogether easier to do well.

Quick Reply

Latest