The Student Room Group

Edexcel French Listening 14 may 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have begun marking papers, and we've found that many people are getting the wrong answers, for example:
Question 10. Part 2. a
Advantages: You can buy apps, such as iBook... and have "easy" access to the internet.
These two answers MUST be given to attain the full two mark question.
which one was 10, 2.a, thought that one was about the parents
Reply 42
this was a hard test, i reckon the grade boundaries will be nice to us:smile:
Reply 43
Is somebody talking about iGCSE Edexcel, because this is just normal GCSE thread?

Will be very suprised if not Annecy- heard something said about Nice then they mentioned Annecy again when talking about fireworks and concert. And the good restaurants and sporting facilities I'm sure were in Annecy.

Only question I might have done badly on was hypermarkets. For the first person, I said 'you can find everything there', and I thought the person speaking said that SHE was in a bad mood when she went there. However, on reflection, I think she said something about the shop assistants finding everything there and them being bad tempered instead.

Other than that, I think it was OK. Good Luck to Everyone!
Original post by bezabe
Is somebody talking about iGCSE Edexcel, because this is just normal GCSE thread?

Will be very suprised if not Annecy- heard something said about Nice then they mentioned Annecy again when talking about fireworks and concert. And the good restaurants and sporting facilities I'm sure were in Annecy.

Only question I might have done badly on was hypermarkets. For the first person, I said 'you can find everything there', and I thought the person speaking said that SHE was in a bad mood when she went there. However, on reflection, I think she said something about the shop assistants finding everything there and them being bad tempered instead.

Other than that, I think it was OK. Good Luck to Everyone!

Heard that too
Reply 45
Original post by Globox

It's well within the rules to listen to the recording via a computer with headphones. The only specification is that candidates receive 40 minutes overall and no longer unless they are entitled to extra time.
It's not unfair because we got no extra time and if we decided to rewind (which I did in a couple of places) we lost time at the end. As a result of me making a few rewinds, I had to rush questions 9 and 10 and I only got to hear them once.

Sure, you could argue that it defeats the point of listening by being able to rewind, but how is that any different than getting to hear each clip twice anyway? You're still listening to it more than once which is not what practical for real life scenarios. I think you're seeing it as a far bigger advantage than it really is because there's only two of us who are possible A* candidates with listening anyway. The majority of people who took the Higher Listening in my class will be looking at B's and C's.
I will admit I think the headphones are a nice advantage, but I don't think the rewinding option is because by rewinding you're taking time away for later on in the paper.

I completely disagree with you. The fact that you can pause it means that you can take time to write your answers as soon as a certain phrase is said instead of having to listen to a whole extract.
You can also go back onto bits that you knew there were details on helping you to get the grade. When you have to listen to the whole extract it is hard to do this!
You can't compare having to listen to the extract twice to pausing and rewinding. You had the advantage, and it was unfair. Stopping at the end of a sentence to take in what was said does not use much time at all. You could also fast forward to another question instead of listening to the gaps, which doesn't mean you miss out on time.
Reply 46
In 2010, the grade boundary for an A* was 28/40 and this test was definitely harder.

However, I think exam boards will have a hard time justifying awarding people getting less than 70% an A*.

Consider this: AQA economics unit 11 january 2012, 63% raw mark = grade E.
Reply 47
I don't understand how teachers have got transcripts, because on the Edexcel website, it says that transcripts and mark schemes are not sent to school until GCSE results day in August?

Unless these teachers are examiners? :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Original post by bezabe
In 2010, the grade boundary for an A* was 28/40 and this test was definitely harder.

However, I think exam boards will have a hard time justifying awarding people getting less than 70% an A*.

Consider this: AQA economics unit 11 january 2012, 63% raw mark = grade E.

For one of my OCR 21st Century Sciencee exams, which where the first to use the new spec, 15 was a C. On the chemistry one, 31 was an a*. These exams were out of 60.
Reply 49
Original post by annnie
I don't understand how teachers have got transcripts, because on the Edexcel website, it says that transcripts and mark schemes are not sent to school until GCSE results day in August?

Unless these teachers are examiners? :s-smilie:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse09/mfl/french/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=2836

That's how :P
Reply 50

Ah thanks! haha!

What was the answer to the holiday place question, cus I put Nice?
And the for the reasons I put: good restaurants, things to do in evening, and the lots of museums (plein de musee?)
Reply 51
Original post by redsoup
I completely disagree with you. The fact that you can pause it means that you can take time to write your answers as soon as a certain phrase is said instead of having to listen to a whole extract.
You can also go back onto bits that you knew there were details on helping you to get the grade. When you have to listen to the whole extract it is hard to do this!
You can't compare having to listen to the extract twice to pausing and rewinding. You had the advantage, and it was unfair. Stopping at the end of a sentence to take in what was said does not use much time at all. You could also fast forward to another question instead of listening to the gaps, which doesn't mean you miss out on time.

Well, despite how you feel, the underlying fact is that it is not against the rules to listen to the tape in this way. This is the advantage of private education, I suppose; smaller classes mean there's enough computers for us all to listen separately through headphones.

I do think you are exaggerating, however. The time constraints don't allow for you to constantly pause and rewind. The recording is 35 minutes which is exactly all you get (excluding reading time), so you have to have a lot of self control not to allow yourself to pause and rewind too much because if you do, you won't reach the end of the paper. And it's not as simple as just clicking to skip the gaps because the bar which you click on to move the point of the tape is very thick, so you might click very close to where it is and it'll still take you on around 30 seconds, which can potentially make things very confusing as you don't know where you are.

I appreciate what you're saying completely, and I do feel lucky to have been able to sit my exam as I have, but I don't think it's unfair. I just think it's unfortunate that a lot of other places can't do this because of the number of candidates sitting the exam.

'Service Unavailable'?
Reply 52
Original post by annnie
Ah thanks! haha!

And the for the reasons I put: good restaurants, things to do in evening, and the lots of museums (plein de musee?)

The good restaurants and things to do in the evening was for Annecy, they kept saying nice, annessy, nice... which was sooo confusing...
But you would get 2 marks cos good restaurants and things to do in the evening are the right answers.
Original post by annnie
Ah thanks! haha!

Im hoping it was annecy, i think one person mentioned museums but the other person said they found it boring
Reply 54
Original post by Globox
I'm glad to hear this. I felt sure it was Annecy.

It's well within the rules to listen to the recording via a computer with headphones. The only specification is that candidates receive 40 minutes overall and no longer unless they are entitled to extra time.
It's not unfair because we got no extra time and if we decided to rewind (which I did in a couple of places) we lost time at the end. As a result of me making a few rewinds, I had to rush questions 9 and 10 and I only got to hear them once.

Sure, you could argue that it defeats the point of listening by being able to rewind, but how is that any different than getting to hear each clip twice anyway? You're still listening to it more than once which is not what practical for real life scenarios. I think you're seeing it as a far bigger advantage than it really is because there's only two of us who are possible A* candidates with listening anyway. The majority of people who took the Higher Listening in my class will be looking at B's and C's.
I will admit I think the headphones are a nice advantage, but I don't think the rewinding option is because by rewinding you're taking time away for later on in the paper.

hmm... I wouldnt mind headphones for my exam. My mums an invigilator and she said that it is allowed. You have a point, but one could argue that it is an unfair advantage for candidates that are not sitting at your centre.
Reply 55
By using headphones and a computer there are several inherent advantages.

It's far easier to understand the french using headphones, providing an advantage over pupils taking the test in halls with poor acoustics or with antiquated equipment. Also, the ability to rewind or fast foward allows the person using the equipment (assuming they're competent in fast-fowarding and rewinding :smile: ) allows a person rewind to specific parts and scrutinise the extract far more closely.

Also, time issues can be resolved by skipping through the eons of reading time and gaps that Edexcel shove into the exam - most of the extracts are under a minute long. In response to the person that said that the issue was inconsequential because only a few of the class were predicted A*, I attend a centre where the majority of the year group are predicted A/A*s.

Finally, and most important, rewinding and fast-fowarding would have allowed us to skip past easier foundation-higher cross-over questions after one listening and spend a disproportionate amount of time on the A/A* questions, allowing us to spend time picking up nuanced features of language. By skipping two or three questions after a first listen, along with the time in between can be mean you can easily accumulate 4/5 minutes that could be used later on.

It is unfair.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by redsoup
The good restaurants and things to do in the evening was for Annecy, they kept saying nice, annessy, nice... which was sooo confusing...
But you would get 2 marks cos good restaurants and things to do in the evening are the right answers.

great! -_-
Two teachers at my school said it was annecy. Massdebate over it! Yeah really unfair people are allowed to rewinding it etc. when i did my portuguese, it was only me doing it but i wasnt allowed :?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Globox
hmm... I wouldnt mind headphones for my exam. My mums an invigilator and she said that it is allowed. You have a point, but one could argue that it is an unfair advantage for candidates that are not sitting at your centre.

I agree with that.

Original post by kitkat1
By using headphones and a computer there are several inherent advantages.

It's far easier to understand the french using headphones, providing an advantage over pupils taking the test in halls with poor acoustics or with antiquated equipment. Also, the ability to rewind or fast foward allows the person using the equipment (assuming they're competent in fast-fowarding and rewinding :smile: ) allows a person rewind to specific parts and scrutinise the extract far more closely.

Also, time issues can be resolved by skipping through the eons of reading time and gaps that Edexcel shove into the exam - most of the extracts are under a minute long. In response to the person that said that the issue was inconsequential because only a few of the class were predicted A*, I attend a centre where the majority of the year group are predicted A/A*s. Rewinding and fast-fowarding would have allowed us to skip past easier foundation-higher cross-over questions after one listening and spend a disproportionate amount of time on the A/A* questions, allowing us to spend time picking up nuanced features of language.

It is unfair.

While you have over-simplified a little, I understand your viewpoint and think it is fair. I would just like to point out that the 5 minutes reading time couldn't be skipped, though.

There's not much else I can really say because this is a problem you're identifying which has nothing to do with my centre or I. This is Edexcel's responsibility. No rules have been broken and it's all within the guidelines, so all I can really say is that it's unfortunate you didn't share the same circumstances as mine. I don't really want to talk about this any more, though, because I feel a little targeted.
(edited 11 years ago)
Our exam papers were taken in 7 minutes before the full time was up, this is time on top of the pauses that you have available to rewind etc. People with computers were very advantaged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending