The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry A- C7 + Ideas In Context, May 24th 2012. OFFICIAL THREAD

Just for anyone taking this exam next week, discussion is welcome here.

Scroll to see replies

Heyy.. this is 21st Century, right? 2006 spec? If so, that's what I'm doing.

I seriously need to revise the C2 polymers for the IIC.

I actually need to start revising for C7...
Reply 2
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Heyy.. this is 21st Century, right? 2006 spec? If so, that's what I'm doing.

I seriously need to revise the C2 polymers for the IIC.

I actually need to start revising for C7...

Hi, yes it is :smile:

I have revised a fair amount of C7, just C2/IIC I need to start revising.
Reply 3
Hey i have this exam too! :smile: Haven't really looked at the pre-release yet.. does anyone have any predictions on what the questions will be on?
Reply 4
I genuinley have no idea what questions might come up for the pre-release. Dreading it :frown:
I got a resource booklet and the Pre-release is on "do plasticizers make boys more feminine?"

Can someone explain to me what the exam is asking??
We need a pool of questions here guys.. I'm willing to exchange literally hundreds of Biology/Physics questions in return! X
We need a pool of questions here guys.. I'm willing to exchange literally hundreds of Biology/Physics questions in return! X

what do you mean by questions???
Questions for the Ideas in Context... the plasticisers in our case.
Questions for the Ideas in Context... the plasticisers in our case.

No clue what your talking about, I may have some as i've been working on it for a couple days now, could you give an example
Reply 10
I don't have any questions yet, but I'm guessing we need to revise polymers, plasticisers and life cycle assessments.
Reply 11
Hey guys, my teacher just gave us some possible questions for the C7 exam next week,

1) What was the sample size of the study into boy's play activities?

2) It is enough to draw a valid conclusion from?

3) What reasons could there be for boys to play with untraditionally male toys?

4) What experiments would you run to get more conclusive evidence?

5) What evidnece would convince you that plastisizersdo make boys more femenine?

6) Where else could plasticizers come from other than toys?

7) How would you measure how femenine boys were?

8) Weigh up the risk of using plasticizers in babies' toys against the evidence that it makes boys more femenine. Should the Phthalates be banned? Explain your reasoning?

Again these are just eight questions that my chemistry teacher came up with, would be greatful if anyone can come up with some others:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Heres a few possible questions my teacher gave me today that might come up on it:

1) In the article one scientist says 'I am convinced that phthalate plasticizers pose a substancial possibility of harm' Give one piece of evidence for this claim and one piece against it.

2) A consumer group has suggested that parents may wish to avoid plasticizers in food packages. use the precautionary principle to explain why this may be a good idea.

3) PVC is made from repeating units od chloroethene. Draw a representation of the polymer

4) Plasticizers make the polymer softer and more flexible. Explain with the aid of a labeled diagram, how a plasticizer works

5) The article gives the results of a recent study linking phthalates in maternal urine to differences in boy's play habits. Describe two ways in which this data could be improved.

6) Describe why PVC plastics gradually deteriorate and how it may be possible to prevent this from happening.

7) The EU has decided that: Phthalate plasticizer cannot be used in PVC to make toys for babies and small children, but Phathalate plasticizer can be used in PVC in furniture and packaging. Use ideas of risk and benefit to explain this difference.

Anybody else got any more? :smile:
Reply 13
I'm bricking it.
Those questions look scary. I can't get my head around interpreting results from a titration ( finding the concentration/mass of something using relative formula mass and titration results)
My teachers refusing to explain it, I would appreciate if anyone helped me, I'm completely lost.
Reply 14
Original post by L_Vieru
I'm bricking it.
Those questions look scary. I can't get my head around interpreting results from a titration ( finding the concentration/mass of something using relative formula mass and titration results)
My teachers refusing to explain it, I would appreciate if anyone helped me, I'm completely lost.

I'll attept to help you but I don't know if I'll be much help cause it's hard to explain typing lol.

First of all it's sooo much easier if you lay it out in an organised way. I always write the formulas for the two things your using (eg ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide) at the top, down the side I write Volume, mass and concentration. so it kind of looks like a table, then I read through the question and fill in what information I know.

Then if I know a volume and it's in cm3 I'll convert it to dm3 (divide it by 100) so I don't forget too, as concentration is in g/dm3.

Then you should have 2 of 3 things down the side filled in (concentration, mass, volume) so you can work out the missing on using the formula mass = concentration x volume.

Once you have all 3 things, work out the relative formula masses of the 2 solutions your using. (do you know how to do this?). then use the side you know everything of to work out things for the other side, it's basically ratio. you can use the go through one method. for example if you wanted to find the mass of ethanoic acid, and you knew the mass of sodium hydroxide was 0.00232g you'd work out the RFM which is 40 for sodium hydroxide you'd then divide 40 by 40 to get it to 1 then times it by 0.00232 then you'd do the same to the other side - work out the RFM of ethanoic acid which is 60 then divide it by 40 times it by 0.00232 (as thats what you did to the other side) and then you finally have you answer!

Like I said it's hard to explain typing, but I hope this has helped! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by xAlice95
I'll attept to help you but I don't know if I'll be much help cause it's hard to explain typing lol.

First of all it's sooo much easier if you lay it out in an organised way. I always write the formulas for the two things your using (eg ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide) at the top, down the side I write Volume, mass and concentration. so it kind of looks like a table, then I read through the question and fill in what information I know.

Then if I know a volume and it's in cm3 I'll convert it to dm3 (divide it by 100) so I don't forget too, as concentration is in g/dm3.

Then you should have 2 of 3 things down the side filled in (concentration, mass, volume) so you can work out the missing on using the formula mass = concentration x volume.

Once you have all 3 things, work out the relative formula masses of the 2 solutions your using. (do you know how to do this?). then use the side you know everything of to work out things for the other side, it's basically ratio. you can use the go through one method. for example if you wanted to find the mass of ethanoic acid, and you knew the mass of sodium hydroxide was 0.00232g you'd work out the RFM which is 40 for sodium hydroxide you'd then divide 40 by 40 to get it to 1 then times it by 0.00232 then you'd do the same to the other side - work out the RFM of ethanoic acid which is 60 then divide it by 40 times it by 0.00232 (as thats what you did to the other side) and then you finally have you answer!

Wow, thanks :smile:
I kind of understand that, I'll work on it. Either way, it's a much better explanation compared to my teacher...
I really apreciate it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by xAlice95

Hey, cm3 to dm3 is divided by 1000, not 100. Good explination though, thank you.
Reply 17
Original post by Coke1
Hey, cm3 to dm3 is divided by 1000, not 100. Good explination though, thank you.

whoops yeah sorry, meant 1000, just wrote it wrong cause I was typing quickly lol
Reply 18
Original post by L_Vieru
Wow, thanks :smile:
I kind of understand that, I'll work on it. Either way, it's a much better explanation compared to my teacher...
I really apreciate it :smile:

your teacher seems to suck, my teacher went through it in class and then explained it to everyone who went back again after school as many times as they needed lol.

Also so I said to get cm3 to dm3 you divided by 100 when it's actually 1000, it was a typo lol
Reply 19
Im fairly confident with the C7 part. The June 2011 paper was quite easy in my opinon. Dont worry about the ideas too much, you can get all of it wrong and still get an A* in the paper. What has everyone else had in the first two exams? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending