The Student Room Group

Rising A-level requirements

Why are unis increasing their grade requirements year on year? For example, the course I graduated from put theirs up from BBC to BBB the year after i graduated, then to ABB this year.
Has there been a dramatic increase in student applications recently? Where is this coming from? A baby boom 18 years ago?
Reply 1
More people are getting higher grades, so I think it is to distinguish the 'brightest from the bright'. Then again that's why the A* came in...
Grade inflation
Grade inflation and rising applications most likely.
Manchester Ask for A*A*A for physics now.
Reply 5
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Which is practically impossible for people like me

>.>
Reply 6
Original post by mangoh
and me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

lol in that case.... BEST OF LUCK !
Reply 7

A*A*A!?!?!?!? That's ridiculous. I mean, A*A*A isacceptable for cambrdge and Oxford but I believe that elsewhere should have maximums of AAA. An A is such a good grade! Admitted, a B isn't great, but I would be proud of AAA
Original post by Killki06
A*A*A!?!?!?!? That's ridiculous. I mean, A*A*A isacceptable for cambrdge and Oxford but I believe that elsewhere should have maximums of AAA. An A is such a good grade! Admitted, a B isn't great, but I would be proud of AAA

I think Oxford/Cambridge still want A*AA.
Reply 9

That's the Brian Cox Effect for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Killki06

I would be happy with all C's but hey, that's just me...
Original post by Origami Bullets
Grade inflation

And graduate inflation.

Quick Reply

Latest