Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been to a spa? Enjoy being pampered?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    That said, the nicest spa experiences I had were in upmarket places, like the posh hotel ones in London and abroad.
    Have you had all those exotic treatments like Balinese massage, scented baths, rituals, etc? Are they as incredible as they look? Lucky thing if you have.

I wonder about the staff in these "destination spas" that you see advertised in places like India and Thailand. I assume we are talking exploited third-world workers with poor pay and conditions service rich westerners indulgences?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fires)
    Have you had all those exotic treatments like Balinese massage, scented baths, rituals, etc? Are they as incredible as they look? Lucky thing if you have.

I wonder about the staff in these "destination spas" that you see advertised in places like India and Thailand. I assume we are talking exploited third-world workers with poor pay and conditions service rich westerners indulgences?
    I've been to spas in India and in the US. From casual conversations, I got the impression the Indian staff were fairly well-paid by local standards. We gave what would be generous tips to them.

I've been lucky enough to have some gorgeous treatments. I was at a marvellous spa in Goa for a week with my cousin and sister. We had lots of rituals, the best one I had was being massaged by four people under a canopy on the beach and then being underwater-massaged by two people in one of those spa baths with swirling waters and so on. It was all utterly adorable and I felt a total brat, it took me about a month to stop wishing I was back there. Total luck.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    im going to one tonight! im soo excited sounds like you had fun!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UsualStudent)
    Loads of people on TSR sound dead rich to me with cars and flats and clothes from A & F or Hollister and stuff, just unreal really i will never compete. Their parents must be soooo loaded and so totally spoiling of their kids. Jealous.
    You don't necessarily have to be rich to have these things. My parents are by far from rich but I own a car (which I saved up for years and bought with my own money), I go for weekends away and to festivals, I own some nice and expensive clothes. I pay for all this myself because I have worked hard. I have had a job since I was 14. And when I was 16 I got a proper job and have worked even though I have been in education ever since. I'm 21 and am at uni and don't currently have a job because I had to give it up because I had difficult exams coming up and I do have to be careful with my money at the moment. But when I have finished studying I will go and get a job for the summer and will be able to afford nice things again You can have all these things without having loaded parents

Anyway. Spas. I would absolutely LOVE to go to a spa!! I have been to this place near where I live that has a sauna and stuff and that was pretty good. But I would really like to go to a proper spa!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been to spas in India and in the US. From casual conversations, I got the impression the Indian staff were fairly well-paid by local standards. We gave what would be generous tips to them.

I've been lucky enough to have some gorgeous treatments. I was at a marvellous spa in Goa for a week with my cousin and sister. We had lots of rituals, the best one I had was being massaged by four people under a canopy on the beach and then being underwater-massaged by two people in one of those spa baths with swirling waters and so on. It was all utterly adorable and I felt a total brat, it took me about a month to stop wishing I was back there. Total luck.
    Lucky isn't the word. How old were you? Pretty much the definition of Spoiled Brat I would suggest. Bloody nice for you though, a week in Goa at a spa. Hmmm. Can you adopt me into your family?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StartSomething)
    You don't necessarily have to be rich to have these things. My parents are by far from rich but I own a car (which I saved up for years and bought with my own money), I go for weekends away and to festivals, I own some nice and expensive clothes. I pay for all this myself because I have worked hard. I have had a job since I was 14. And when I was 16 I got a proper job and have worked even though I have been in education ever since. I'm 21 and am at uni and don't currently have a job because I had to give it up because I had difficult exams coming up and I do have to be careful with my money at the moment. But when I have finished studying I will go and get a job for the summer and will be able to afford nice things again You can have all these things without having loaded parents

Anyway. Spas. I would absolutely LOVE to go to a spa!! I have been to this place near where I live that has a sauna and stuff and that was pretty good. But I would really like to go to a proper spa!
    Your older than me but yes i would like to earn enough to afford spas and stuff. I cant imagine being that rich easily though it must be amazing to go to them when youre a kid and just have everything paid for you must feel like a princess.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fires)
    Lucky isn't the word. How old were you? Pretty much the definition of Spoiled Brat I would suggest. Bloody nice for you though, a week in Goa at a spa. Hmmm. Can you adopt me into your family?
    Ha, I was 15 and yes, completely spoiled out of my mind. It was lovely and I was appreciative I think, also a bit embarassed about it as it was very posh and I felt a bit visible but I soon got into it and became as you say a total brat! Sorry, family's full. My parents have enough trouble doting on sis and me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I was 15 and yes, completely spoiled out of my mind. It was lovely and I was appreciative I think, also a bit embarassed about it as it was very posh and I felt a bit visible but I soon got into it and became as you say a total brat! Sorry, family's full. My parents have enough trouble doting on sis and me.
    You are a brat! Sigh, wish i was you though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Very nice for you. This type of spa destination holiday seems to be getting more and more popular, I suppose because people feel very stressed out in their work lives, etc. For relatively unstressed teenagers to be indulged this way is just pure luxury though - undeserved but doubtless a delight.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.