The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by JaggySnake95
You can also do completing the square, right?

Yes, I would of done it that way :P
Reply 161
Original post by daisyclouds
I'm sure you'll do great! :biggrin: just keep up the work and if there's any questions you're unsure ask away! :smile:

Thankyou! :smile: Its a lot of simple silly things i have trouble with, im not sure how to work out the graphs of logs, for example in the 2009 past paper Q10 in the multiple choice i couldnt work out which graph had the equation y=log5(x-2)
Original post by Shwi
Thankyou! :smile: Its a lot of simple silly things i have trouble with, im not sure how to work out the graphs of logs, for example in the 2009 past paper Q10 in the multiple choice i couldnt work out which graph had the equation y=log5(x-2)

A graph of y=logb(x)y = \log_b(x) will always pass through (b, 1). But in that case, you've got the (x-2) instead of just x so it's like you're looking 2 'backwards' - which shifts your graph two units to the right, so you'd be looking for it to pass through (b+2, 1). You can do a similar trick with other powers (e.g. (b^2, 2)) if they're really trying to catch you out and there are several curves through that same point.
Reply 163
Original post by Shwi

Aww logs can be confusing, but that question, you kind of have to know the standard log graph that it usually cuts the x-axis at 1 and that question said y=log5(x-2) so it has moved to the right 2 places so the graph should be cutting the x-axis at 3

but don't get yourself caught up in one multiple choice :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by TheUnbeliever
2x^2 + 4x + 7 = 2(x+p)^2 + q
= 2(x^2 + 2xp + p^2) + q
= 2x^2 + 4xp + 2p^2 + q

Equate coefficients of like terms:
4p = 4
p = 1

2p^2 + q = 7
2 + q = 7
q = 5

ahhhh ok, thanks!
Reply 165
Thank you so much!! I just cant seem to get them in to my head :s-smilie: definitely need to pass because there is nooo way they'd give me an appeal and I really don't fancy resitting it next year:frown:
Reply 166
Original post by SQA
You :smile:

haha, somehow, I have to beg to differ :P
This seems like it should be easy but i'm not getting the right answer. Any help would be appreciated.

"Solve 2cos2x-sinx+1=0" x is between or equal to 0 and 2pie. I think the expansion you need is "1-2sin^A".
Original post by ScottishDan
This seems like it should be easy but i'm not getting the right answer. Any help would be appreciated.

"Solve 2cos2x-sinx+1=0" x is between or equal to 0 and 2pie. I think the expansion you need is "1-2sin^A".

Just choose the right expansion (these question you need to make sure if there is a cos and sin value to get rid of 1 so only cos or sin values remain) and then factorise and solve from there.
I just timed myself doing all of 2008 (paper 1 and 2) and got 78% overall. Would that be an A?
Reply 170

2(1-2sin^2x) - sinx + 1 = 0
2 - 4sin^2x - sinx + 1 = 0
-4sin^2x - sinx + 3 = 0
4sin^2x + sinx - 3 = 0
(4sinx - 3)(sinx + 1) = 0
4sinx -3 = 0 sinx + 1 = 0
sinx = 3/4 sinx = - 1
x = 48.6 x = 90

360 - 90 = 270
180 - 48.6 = 131.4

x = 48.6, 131.4, 270

hope that helped :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
^ thanks a lot i done something silly with the factorising and put 2sinx at the start of each bracket for some reason. :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by INT2 Warrior
I just timed myself doing all of 2008 (paper 1 and 2) and got 78% overall. Would that be an A?

Yeah usually an A is around 75% but then again, it depends on how difficult of the paper :smile:
Another question:

"A circle has the following properties:

-The X-axis and the line y=20 are tangents to the circle
-The circle passes through points (0,2) and (0,18)
-The centre lies in the first quadrant

Find the equation of the circle" (6 marks)

So I know the radius is 10 and the centre will be (x,10) but don't know where to go from here.
Reply 174
Hi, could someone please help me with this question?

A minimum value of 1 - cos(x - pi/3) occurs when x = t. What is the value of t?

Original post by __houston
A minimum value of 1 - cos(x - pi/3) occurs when x = t. What is the value of t?

Well, we minimize this expression by maximizing the cosine term. Maximizing the cosine term means finding where it equals 1. cos(x) = 1 at x = 0 (the question presumably gives you a domain - I'm assuming [0, 2pi) here) but we're shifted right by pi/3. t = pi/3.
Another question:

"A circle has the following properties:

-The X-axis and the line y=20 are tangents to the circle
-The circle passes through points (0,2) and (0,18)
-The centre lies in the first quadrant

Find the equation of the circle" (6 marks)

So I know the radius is 10 and the centre will be (x,10) but don't know where to go from here.

The points (0, 2) and (0, 18) are 2 units in from the respective tangent lines. Because these lie on the circumference, we know that the centre lies exactly one radius - 10 units - away. This defines two circles, one centred on each point. The centre of the circle we're asked for lies at the intersection of these two circles. There are exactly two intersections, which is why we're told that it lies in the first quadrant.

x^2 + (y - 2)^2 = x^2 + (y - 18)^2
y^2 - 4y + 4 = y^2 - 36y + 324
-320 = -32y
y = 10

Then substitute back into (one of) the original equation(s)
x^2 + 8^2 = 100
x^2 + 64 = 100
x^2 = 36
x = 6
Thanks a lot for that! A couple of one mark questions that I'm not too sure about:

"write cos^x in terms of cos2x"

And see when the roots are either unequal or irrational, what does that mean again? I always forget!

Thanks again!
Reply 178
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone had access to solutions on a pdf for 2001-2004 past papers? :smile:
Original post by Lewis_Mac
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone had access to solutions on a pdf for 2001-2004 past papers? :smile:

I think i have sollutions and the working on a file if you wanted. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending