The Student Room Group

Edexcel M1 16 May 2012 Post Exam thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

72/75... got the thrust as -0.125 at first and thought "That cant be right" so I played around with the numbers and got 2.125N :angry:
Do you guys think I'll get 1 mark for using F=ma and showing working for 9e? I ended up making it 1-T=0.3*-3.75
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
As long as I don't get penalised for not putting in the units for newtons and perhaps if i get error carried forward for question 3 (silly of me as i did it right at first then crossed it out then i wrote a wrong method down thus answers) I might get 60/75 but at least it was much better than the last time I took m1 paper.
worst case scenario I dropped 10 marks. Still likely to get my A though, would have been nice to muller it..
Reply 63
Original post by adilh301
Does 058 anticlock not work? And for the last 4 marks on question 6 how many method marks can i expect for finding the time that theyre due north and
Subbing it into a position vector formula?

probably 2 marks. The other 2 would be for using Pythagoras and getting the answer of 5.
Reply 64
Original post by Gman1234
probably 2 marks. The other 2 would be for using Pythagoras and getting the answer of 5.

Oh no i got 5 :smile: the one after that
Reply 65
****, I forgot the 4g on 5(c) as well. I put 0.31 as the answer though, so I wonder if I'll get away with that...even though 3.16 doesn't even round to that
Reply 66
Original post by Dominic.
****, I forgot the 4g on 5(c) as well. I put 0.31 as the answer though, so I wonder if I'll get away with that...even though 3.16 doesn't even round to that

I thought i was wrong in including the 4g was stressing me out all day glad it worked out :tongue:
For the first question I got M to be -0.3...would I still be awarded the marks despite the negative sign?
Reply 68
Originally Posted by Arsey

THRUST

Go over the Thrust question from June 09, it is going to come up again at some point

Tension is a pulling force, tensions will point towards each other in a connecting object

Thrust is a pushing force, thrusts will point away from one another in a rigid connecting object

Original post by -Simon-
Nailed it. :wink:

In fairness, I have been saying it every paper since lol
Reply 69
Original post by Flynn Precup
For the first question I got M to be -0.3...would I still be awarded the marks despite the negative sign?

You'de lose A1. Mass cannot be negative.
Reply 70
Original post by Arsey
Originally Posted by Arsey

THRUST

Go over the Thrust question from June 09, it is going to come up again at some point

Tension is a pulling force, tensions will point towards each other in a connecting object

Thrust is a pushing force, thrusts will point away from one another in a rigid connecting object

In fairness, I have been saying it every paper since lol

Arsey for question 4c, how many marks would I get for total distance=area under graph idea (I tripped up on area of a trapezium- stupidly).
for the time Q, i wrote 3.0 and 1.3. Will i get full marks?
for 6d) i got the correct time, but i did 2.75 x 7.5j and forgot to add on the -6j. then i found the difference. how many marks would i get?
How many marks do you think I'd lose for Q7d...I worked out the acceleration for P only which obviously gave me the wrong distance. However, my methods correct...:smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Serpentine111
72/75... got the thrust as -0.125 at first and thought "That cant be right" so I played around with the numbers and got 2.125N :angry:
Do you guys think I'll get 1 mark for using F=ma and showing working for 9e? I ended up making it 1-T=0.3*-3.75

If you didn't cross it out you will still get the marks; albeit, losing at least 1 for the - sign.

BIG TIP

NEVER CROSS OUT ANYTHING IN A MATHS EXAM UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE IT IS WRONG.
Reply 75
Original post by Jeid1
You'de lose A1. Mass cannot be negative.

m was not mass. It was just a constant.
Reply 76
Original post by Musical-Ocean
for the time Q, i wrote 3.0 and 1.3. Will i get full marks?

Yes, any qu where g has been approx to 9.8 should be given to 2sf
Reply 77
Original post by uttamo
m was not mass. It was just a constant.

If constant is negative, it leads to a negative mass..
Original post by Arsey
If you didn't cross it out you will still get the marks; albeit, losing at least 1 for the - sign.

BIG TIP

NEVER CROSS OUT ANYTHING IN A MATHS EXAM UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE IT IS WRONG.

I'm an idiot. I crossed it out...
Reply 79
Going to sleep now and I have a busy day tomorrow, so I doubt I will be back on here until tomorrow night at the earliest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending