The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Geography - F763 (Global Issues)

Anybody else sitting this exam? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Flicked through several pages in the forum only to find AQA Geography threads plastered everywhere. Started to wonder whether anyone else takes OCR Geography!

I'm sitting this exam too, how's your revision going? :smile:
Reply 2
Why is hardly anyone doing this exam? The physical geography part is so tedious and my answers are so weak. What do you reckon will come up?
Reply 3
Original post by lemoncha
Flicked through several pages in the forum only to find AQA Geography threads plastered everywhere. Started to wonder whether anyone else takes OCR Geography!

I'm sitting this exam too, how's your revision going? :smile:

Same here! That's why i made this one to see if anyone was!! :')
Not very well i'm afraid, i'm ok with physical but it's the human side im struggling on (globalisation and pop and resources) I just don't have a clue!

How is yours going? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chrisluff
Why is hardly anyone doing this exam? The physical geography part is so tedious and my answers are so weak. What do you reckon will come up?

I thought the same!
I'm more worried about the human side I just can't get my head around it! I honestly have no idea, the questions seem to be pretty random each year!
Reply 5

Yeah...earth hazards and climatic hazards pretty much covers...well every hazard that exists! I don't know what might come up but I guess nothing specific on mass movements since it was asked in Jan 12. It's pretty hard to predict this paper since everything seems pretty generic =/ But the good thing is if you learn lots of case studies of different hazards covering the causes (human/physical), impacts and responses, then you should be prepared for any questions that they decide to throw at us...

What case studies have you prepared for the hazards?

Original post by jordanelouise
Same here! That's why i made this one to see if anyone was!! :')
Not very well i'm afraid, i'm ok with physical but it's the human side im struggling on (globalisation and pop and resources) I just don't have a clue!

How is yours going? :smile:

Going alright for me but my knowledge is rather patchy! Ah I can't really help you with human since we opted for Development and Inequalities (which is pretty vague even in the specification) =( But however random it is, you'd usually find the exact wording of the essay question within the specification so maybe that might help a bit in structuring your revision/answers?
Reply 6
I'm not worried about the human side because we covered all three topics so there will definately be a question i like. I can't stand physical, no matter how much i write for the essays it doesn't seem enough. I really puzzled as to what they can ask on the climatic hazards section. They surely can't ask you an essay question on how hurricanes form and there is hardly anything to write about for tornadoes, let alone sufficient case studies!
Reply 7
Do you guys know what questions came up In january? And what case studies you have learnt for population and resources?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
hey there, i got jan 12 past paper if you want it :smile:

also by elimination of past papers i think i may know whats likely to come up.. but i guess anyone can work it out
Reply 9
Thanks for the Jan paper. What topics do you think are going to come up on Wednesday then? Obviously not mass movement but what do you think?
Reply 10
I'm not worried about the human side because we covered all three topics so there will definately be a question i like. I can't stand physical, no matter how much i write for the essays it doesn't seem enough. I really puzzled as to what they can ask on the climatic hazards section. They surely can't ask you an essay question on how hurricanes form and there is hardly anything to write about for tornadoes, let alone sufficient case studies!

Climatic hazards section - They shouldn't be asking questions specifically on how a hazard is formed since you can't really write a discursive essay on that. It's usually something to do with:
- Causes - whether human or physical factors are more important
- Impacts - more short term impacts than long term etc.
- Responses - types of responses, long/short term
Also they might chuck in something to do with a country's state of development in it, and perhaps require you to use one or two case studies.

I think floods or earthquakes and anticyclones might come up for earth and climatic hazards. Don't even wanna guess the development one.
Reply 11
Original post by kaz65
Thanks for the Jan paper. What topics do you think are going to come up on Wednesday then? Obviously not mass movement but what do you think?

well i can only vouch for the earth hazards, population and resources and the development and inequalities (10 marker)

from elimination it looks like:
earth hazards - short answer - EQ, Volc, Mass Movement (this one is unpredictable)
earth hazards - essay - Earthquakes or Volcanoes (unlikely to be floods due to it coming up 3 times already) likely to be on primary/secondary impacts

pop and resources - short answer - resources (they swap between the two each exam, was pop in jan)
pop and resources - essay - choice of either - resources likely to be on technological advances + time etc.

dev and inequalities - short answer - development (they also swap, jan was inequalities)

hopefully this should narrow down your revision a little but dont go entirely from what im saying, i just go by what has come up and what is likely to come up from the syllabus :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by chris9772
well i can only vouch for the earth hazards, population and resources and the development and inequalities (10 marker)

from elimination it looks like:
earth hazards - short answer - EQ, Volc, Mass Movement (this one is unpredictable)
earth hazards - essay - Earthquakes or Volcanoes (unlikely to be floods due to it coming up 3 times already) likely to be on primary/secondary impacts

pop and resources - short answer - resources (they swap between the two each exam, was pop in jan)
pop and resources - essay - choice of either - resources likely to be on technological advances + time etc.

dev and inequalities - short answer - development (they also swap, jan was inequalities)

hopefully this should narrow down your revision a little but dont go entirely from what im saying, i just go by what has come up and what is likely to come up from the syllabus :smile:

Hey thanks for posting this it's really helpful as im doing earth hazards and pop and resources!
Could i ask you what resource case studies you have studied? Im trying too find more information after realising earlier that the essay is either a resource or population so i'm going mad on the resource side of things! :smile:

ooh thank you for posting the past paper too!
Reply 13
Original post by jordanelouise
Hey thanks for posting this it's really helpful as im doing earth hazards and pop and resources!
Could i ask you what resource case studies you have studied? Im trying too find more information after realising earlier that the essay is either a resource or population so i'm going mad on the resource side of things! :smile:

ooh thank you for posting the past paper too!

hey there, no problem!

regarding the resources case studies, i have to admit they're horrible to learn :/ but i did these ones:

uranium development - used to be used in glass and ceramic industries until its fissile products were discovered, its now a valuable resource and places like canada, austrailia and kazakhstan produce 60% of the worlds produce.

oil industry - technological advances - increased mining depth from water drainage systems - offshore drilling into deeper water + 3 dimensional drilling mainly in the north sea.

smelting minerals - bronze (alloy of tin and copper) was replaced by iron and then replaced by bauxite through smelting by electrolysis - through tech advances it became a valuable resource globally.

fish - north sea - overfishing due to mechanisation of vessels, larger nets, trawlers using electronic aids to locate breeding grounds - increased population growth means demand outweighs supply - also the aral sea, fish were overfished and water was drained for various reasons -water was depleted for use on cotton fields etc. - common fisheries policy was used to manage this.

water - china north south plan (not very sure on this) but i think water was given from a part of china that was filled with it, to the other part of china of which it was scarce - also desalination plants to keep up with demand. and water in the western USA also, they had policies when people took water from the rivers as it was being overused for irrigation etc.

this is quite brief - if you look on wikipedia it should all be there :smile: hope i helped
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
For population have you guys been taught decent management strategies for a range of issues? We haven't :/

Seriously hoping a resource 10 mark doesn't come up either because I don't know how I would write well about it for over a page on issues OR management!
Reply 15
Original post by MsGD
For population have you guys been taught decent management strategies for a range of issues? We haven't :/

Seriously hoping a resource 10 mark doesn't come up either because I don't know how I would write well about it for over a page on issues OR management!

it will most likely be a resource 10 marker :/ purely because it was population in january. however resources ones are easier to blag in my opinion.. and tbh you dont really need to learn much for that.

just try and tthink of the geographical issues yourself and then different strategies will just come to you :P ill give you a few examples.

for resources:
issue: overusage
strategies: restriction policies - e.g. common fisheries policies to balance supply and demand... and another could be conservation technology like desalinisation plants such as the one in china to provide more water.

issue: lack of resources
strategies: anti-natalist approach - e.g the one child policy in china, this could be integrated into the place used in the source for less demand etc.... another could maybe be educational programmes to maybe teach people about using resources efficiently, or maybe technology such as new toilet design to conserve the amount of water used for flushing etc.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
cheers Chris!
Reply 17
Original post by chris9772
hey there, no problem!

regarding the resources case studies, i have to admit they're horrible to learn :/ but i did these ones:

uranium development - used to be used in glass and ceramic industries until its fissile products were discovered, its now a valuable resource and places like canada, austrailia and kazakhstan produce 60% of the worlds produce.

oil industry - technological advances - increased mining depth from water drainage systems - offshore drilling into deeper water + 3 dimensional drilling mainly in the north sea.

smelting minerals - bronze (alloy of tin and copper) was replaced by iron and then replaced by bauxite through smelting by electrolysis - through tech advances it became a valuable resource globally.

fish - north sea - overfishing due to mechanisation of vessels, larger nets, trawlers using electronic aids to locate breeding grounds - increased population growth means demand outweighs supply - also the aral sea, fish were overfished and water was drained for various reasons -water was depleted for use on cotton fields etc. - common fisheries policy was used to manage this.

water - china north south plan (not very sure on this) but i think water was given from a part of china that was filled with it, to the other part of china of which it was scarce - also desalination plants to keep up with demand. and water in the western USA also, they had policies when people took water from the rivers as it was being overused for irrigation etc.

this is quite brief - if you look on wikipedia it should all be there :smile: hope i helped

This is awesome! Thank you very much! A couple i've done the same such as the CFP and water in western usa, but the uranium and bauxite ones are really good! ( i do chemistry so these ones are a lot more easier to learn than others we have learnt! ) so thank you!
Reply 18
Original post by MsGD
cheers Chris!

one we have learnt for food shortages is GM foods, gene inserted to be able to be grown in areas which they wouldn't of grown in originally such as drought areas!
i'm also taking this exam on wednesday - only picking earth hazards and development essays (and climatic 10 mks).

just to say - it's the China South-North project (not north-south) - sorry, just that could be kinda vital to get the right way round :smile: there's an ok wikipedia page, basically it's transferring water from the Yangtze to the Yellow and Hui rivers south>north (the north is drier i.e. Gobi desert)

i'm thinking for development essays - one on defining/measuring development seems quite likely because they haven't asked about that at all yet (and they have a policy of covering the whole spec every 3 years i think & this is the third year). any ideas about earth hazards?
good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending