The Student Room Group

CH5 Chemistry WJEC - 19th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rsp
wish I was you right now :frown: . excited because you going to get 120UMS or because it's your last exam?

Because I love Chemistry. 120UMS would be nice though. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Reply 21
Original post by BlueSparkleDust
2011? :biggrin: I know studying is intense but never lose track of time :tongue:

It took me ages to notice what you meant!! Haha I'm amazed no one else has picked up on it! I think that's what chemistry revision has done to me!! :')

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by BlueSparkleDust
2011? :biggrin: I know studying is intense but never lose track of time :tongue:

aw god did not realise that ha , sure sign i shall fail tomorrow yay .
Reply 23
I just saw "CH5" and I thought of Carbonium.

Brb getting a life.
Reply 24
Original post by jordanelouise
It took me ages to notice what you meant!! Haha I'm amazed no one else has picked up on it! I think that's what chemistry revision has done to me!! :')

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I noticed, I just didn't want to say anything... :tongue:

Good luck later everyone! :smile:
Reply 25
This went AWFUL.
Oh dear.
To be honest, I think the paper was fair. It wasn't easy but it wasn't too hard. Anything I didn't get was just stuff I couldn't remember rather than couldn't get :tongue:
Although I've tried to ween myself off doing so for Chemistry exams, I calculated what I assume my mark to be and it's around a B which I'd be over the moon with. That's my chemistry education over!
Hope it went okay for everyone else, especially those who were relying on today's exam for their uni place :wink:

EDIT: Yes, that 2 things wrong on the diagram question was really stupid. But I got it in the end, it was that the shading was before equilibrium was reached and the pressures did not match the given Kp value.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
How did you find it Minerva?

There were some fair questions, but the solubility question (the first one), and the copper one where you had to find a percentage, were just horrible!

And what was up with the "State two things wrong with this diagram" ?!
Reply 29
Original post by welshfrankie
To be honest, I think the paper was fair. It wasn't easy but it wasn't too hard. Anything I didn't get was just stuff I couldn't remember rather than couldn't get :tongue:
Although I've tried to ween myself off doing so for Chemistry exams, I calculated what I assume my mark to be and it's around a B which I'd be over the moon with. That's my chemistry education over!
Hope it went okay for everyone else, especially those who were relying on today's exam for their uni place :wink:

EDIT: Yes, that 2 things wrong on the diagram question was really stupid. But I got it in the end, it was that the shading was before equilibrium was reached and the pressures did not match the given Kp value.

Woop, I wrote that :smile:

I just thought molar concentration (for the oxygen one) was weird, and the initial solbulity question. And the um.. Temperature drop was weird.
Original post by AlexBamsey
Woop, I wrote that :smile:

I just thought molar concentration (for the oxygen one) was weird, and the initial solbulity question. And the um.. Temperature drop was weird.

Temperature drop I did based on concentration (I think the concentration was 2.5moldm-3 so a 6.2o drop for 1moldm-3 was 6.2*2.5 so 15.5o drop. Not sure if that's right :tongue:
Reply 31
Temperature drop I did based on concentration (I think the concentration was 2.5moldm-3 so a 6.2o drop for 1moldm-3 was 6.2*2.5 so 15.5o drop. Not sure if that's right :tongue:

I had that, except I didn't realise my answers were in moldm^-3. Hopefully I won't be penalised for that.

I worked out in the 200g solution, 40g of the ammonium nitrate/80 = 0.5 moles.. Then I said in 1kg you'd have to multiply this by 5, so 2.5 moles.. Then did 2.5 * 6.2 = 15.5. Maybe it didn't go as bad as I thought then!

I don't remember the solubility one in the beginning but I think I left it out..

Did you say the pH curve's pH at the equivalence point was 6.6? It was 1:1 ratio due to 20cm^3 of the base neutralising 20cm^3 of the acid right?
How did you find it Minerva?

There were some fair questions, but the solubility question (the first one), and the copper one where you had to find a percentage, were just horrible!

And what was up with the "State two things wrong with this diagram" ?!

I didn't have enough time to properly do some questions so I ended up scribbling in rubbish in the last few minutes :frown:
Some questions were fine but that 2 things wrong with the graph and question 5 in general were terrible!
I hope the grade boundaries drop (yn)
Reply 33
I thought this paper was really fair! It wasn't easy, granted, but I didn't find anything that caught me out. Most of it was pretty standard, and you can work with some of the unorthodox calculations pretty easily. The few things I didn't get this time around were simply because I had forgotten them eg. the name/formula of the Al3+ precipitate formed.

If anything, the Kp graph question was dumb as sh*t. I found an equilibrium and a pressure-to-Kp error, but I suspect the WJEC will find a way to make the answers really obscure and unattainable eg. "you should have known that the student's name was Abdul Sahjin-Salam." or something.

So yeah, it was pretty straightforward, it was just a case of either knowing or not knowing certain pieces in the course. The calculations weren't too bad.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it went, although the exam board will find a way to screw me over as they often try to do. Still, that was my last exam. I AM FREE! :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Minerva McGonagall
I didn't have enough time to properly do some questions so I ended up scribbling in rubbish in the last few minutes :frown:
Some questions were fine but that 2 things wrong with the graph and question 5 in general were terrible!
I hope the grade boundaries drop (yn)

What was question 5? And yeah the 2 things wrong with the graph was weird.
I had that, except I didn't realise my answers were in moldm^-3. Hopefully I won't be penalised for that.

I worked out in the 200g solution, 40g of the ammonium nitrate/80 = 0.5 moles.. Then I said in 1kg you'd have to multiply this by 5, so 2.5 moles.. Then did 2.5 * 6.2 = 15.5. Maybe it didn't go as bad as I thought then!

I don't remember the solubility one in the beginning but I think I left it out..

Did you say the pH curve's pH at the equivalence point was 6.6? It was 1:1 ratio due to 20cm^3 of the base neutralising 20cm^3 of the acid right?

I said it was about 6. They'll probably take a range of pHs as acceptable answers. And I put a 1:1 ration due to the 20cm^3 solutions neutralising each other (and that they were the same concentration!)
What was question 5? And yeah the 2 things wrong with the graph was weird.

Question 5 was the 2 graphs. I went on a long ramble when describing the pH curve :L
Reply 37
I said it was about 6. They'll probably take a range of pHs as acceptable answers. And I put a 1:1 ration due to the 20cm^3 solutions neutralising each other (and that they were the same concentration!)

Bolloks I didn't mention they were the same concentration!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was probably the 1 mark..
Reply 38
hmmm I thought it was an ok paper overall but didn't like half the maths questions of which there seemed to be loads and in general Q5 wasn't the best Im hoping for highB / low A i think which is fine for my uni grades anyway so phew :biggrin: only 2 exams left so near and yet so far :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Minerva McGonagall
Question 5 was the 2 graphs. I went on a long ramble when describing the pH curve :L

Ohhh right! Hahah yeah me too, 4 marks was a bit weird, you could only mention 3 things really!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending