The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arsey
Solutions now in the first post

THANK YOU SO MUCH !

MUCH APPRECIATED !

I remember you posted the gcse one last year too! thanks again !
any ideas on grade boundaries?
Reply 22
I enjoyed the histogram question, you use interpolation for the median right?

Probability caused me problems though.
Reply 23
Original post by Arsey
Solutions now in the first post

Any idea of the boundaries?
As I predicted, the only thing wrong for me was the histogram question. And I hope I didn't make any silly errors on other questions.
I don't think I got any of that histogram question except for maybe the first part. The mean really threw me off! I ended up spending 10 minutes only to find I had counted up 450 again which was the given anyway!
Reply 26
I thought it went ok, but Statistics is really hit and miss for me. I find I make so many little mistakes, and they aren't as generous with follow through marks as they are on say the Mechanics papers.
Reply 27
FINALLY, at least one good paper! Thanks arsey :smile:
Reply 28
For the venn diagram question, does it matter if you proved independence by shrinking the sample space so W was excluded, so you only had T, B and t'b' and showed that they still were independent by the same method you used?
Actually scared to look at the paper :/
Reply 30
Original post by Jack74
Easiest paper I've done in my life apart from maybe Unit 2 Chemistry GCSE , only thing i got wrong i think was drawing the regression line on the graph and the skew of the data i got mixed up. :/

Ahhh the only thing I messed up was plotting the regression line too! So annoyinggg
Think I got 67. All correct except my histrogram.
I don't want to look at the answers in case I spot silly mistakes :frown:
Reply 33
****..... xD
Reply 34
Say i did the pmcc wrong but i sigma xy over the root of sxx x syy would i get a mark or no marks at all?

and for 5.e. if i wrote median because it is not effected by extreme value or outliers will i get the mark?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Actually scared to look at the paper :/

THIS aha, I opened it and looked at the last question, then realised that I can't actually remember quite a few of my answers...
Reply 36
Ahh crap, I made a mistake and concluded that P(B) and P(T) were independent. Oh well, at least I should get the rest of the marks. Any predictions for the grade boundaries? And if I put that there is positive linear correlation and that as p increases so does t, is that enough to get the marks for why a linear regression model would be suitable?
(edited 11 years ago)
Had a total mindblank on the histogram. Didn't even think to count the mother-fudging squares :angry: Too scared to look at the rest - the fact that I'm guaranteed to have dropped at least 10 marks just from that makes me too fearful of how I'll feel if I've dropped a lot of others :/
Well I got 61/75, to say I was convinced stats would ruin my life, not bad, haha :smile:
Hey two questions, if anyone can answer i'd appreciate it a lot:

1. For question 4a i gave two examples which were (B n W) and (T n W) . Each one is correct but would i be marked down for giving two? i got the explanation correct btw...

2. For question 5e would i get away by saying that the data is almost symmetrical and therefore it would be appropriate to use the mean? Also for question 5d i said the distribution was symmetrical for the same reasons above, again would i get the marks?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending