The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
what do we think the boundaries will be
Reply 41
Evidence from a recent study suggest that people who do too much statistics are the most likely to be considered physically repulsive :tongue:

This is surely the most tedious module in mathematics.

I hope my dislike for stats is coming through.
[QUOTE=Arsey;

would i get the mark for proving train and walk were mutually exclusive instead of bike? (just checking)
Cheers for mark scheme, settles post exam nerves
Reply 43
Original post by Arsey
This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Stats 1 examination. I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post. I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.Here are some links to previous S1 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...S1 Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1865940S1 June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619124The second link contains loads of past papers, model answers etcGood luck.

First of all thanks for posting the mark scheme :biggrin:

Can you please clear some of my queries:

I did everything correct except that i forgot(brain fade!) to use interpolation while finding the median in the histogram question. The value of median i got was 25.

I said that it is less than 28.8 so the data is positive skewed, i showed that the mean is greater than median.

In the last part of the histogram question, i said that median will be used because data is skewed.

Will i get full marks for other parts except the median part?

In the last question i got confused in part b and c. I did 2 attempts for part b and 4 attempts for part c. In both parts i got one of those answers which matches with your's, will i get full marks in it?

Please clear my doubts.

What are your grade boundary predictions, i reckon 100UMS will be at less than 75 this time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
why in 2A) on this paper is the PMCC = 3990/square root of 5606.25*-4244? and not 3990/square root of 5606.25*4244
NO!!!!!! Full marks until the last 2 parts of the last question - I read the probability of being fades as 0.5!
Thanks Arsey - If this is the same error, and my probabilities are correct for the figure I read of 0.5 instead of 0.05, how many marks will I lose?
Yes! Only marks it looks like I lost were part d and e for the histogram question, 71/75 hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 47
I wish I could remember what answers I got - jealous of the people who can work it out now!

I'm hoping to have got an A though :smile:

EDIT: Actually after looking at it properly I think I got around 63 - well into an A judging by previous grade boundaries so I'm happy :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
NO!!!!!! Full marks until the last 2 parts of the last question - I read the probability of being fades as 0.5!
Thanks Arsey - If this is the same error, and my probabilities are correct for the figure I read of 0.5 instead of 0.05, how many marks will I lose?

ME TOO :frown: I read that as 0.5 as well! Soooo mad!!!
Reply 49
Original post by Arsey
This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Stats 1 examination. I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post. I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.Here are some links to previous S1 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...S1 Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1865940S1 June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619124The second link contains loads of past papers, model answers etcGood luck.

Hey Arsey, Nice work!

Are you doing one of these for D1 mark scheme/solutions??
Original post by pjanoo
ME TOO :frown: I read that as 0.5 as well! Soooo mad!!!

Oh god it's such a stupid mistake. I thought I was going to get 100 when I got past all the harder questions! Kill me now... How many marks do you think we'll lose?
Reply 51
My regression line went through the mean but I drew it from the origin, would I lose marks for that?
Reply 52
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Oh god it's such a stupid mistake. I thought I was going to get 100 when I got past all the harder questions! Kill me now... How many marks do you think we'll lose?

I'm hoping we'll still get the M marks for method! And just lose the A marks for accuracy, so maybe half the marks? I might be being generous here as I am biased lol
everyone in the exam hall was like, wtf was up with that histogram question!!!!?!?!?
Looks like the histogram got many people.
Reply 55
YESSS! I reckon another 100 unless they are harsh on my wordy answers... :smile:
Original post by ellozzy
what do we think the boundaries will be

Gonna be high. 62 for an A I'm thinking.
Reply 57
Original post by UWS
My regression line went through the mean but I drew it from the origin, would I lose marks for that?

Certainly. I think you'd lost one mark for that.
Original post by koolkid1011
Hey two questions, if anyone can answer i'd appreciate it a lot:

1. For question 4a i gave two examples which were (B n W) and (T n W) . Each one is correct but would i be marked down for giving two? i got the explanation correct btw...

2. For question 5e would i get away by saying that the data is almost symmetrical and therefore it would be appropriate to use the mean? Also for question 5d i said the distribution was symmetrical for the same reasons above, again would i get the marks?

Thank you :smile:

Wondering this for 4a as well, I mis-understood two events as two examples, hopefully it won't be a problem as they were both right...
Original post by UWS

Yes, it has to start at the y value you calculated as b.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending