The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mr Tough
YESSS! I reckon another 100 unless they are harsh on my wordy answers... :smile:

:congrats:
Reply 61
tbh people, it was a much easier paper than january's
Reply 62
for 3f I find the value by using the regression line in the graph :frown: can't believe I did this :frown:

for the histogram question I put area x k = frequency then work out k=4, not quite sure why I get the same answers....

Other than these, everything else are fine....
Original post by und
Certainly. I think you'd lost one mark for that.

Oh god Und this is grim. I may have dropped 6 marks due to misreading a probability as 0.5 instead of 0.05...
Reply 64
full marks baby- thanks arsey.
Reply 65
Original post by meowcat
for 3f I find the value by using the regression line in the graph :frown: can't believe I did this :frown:

for the histogram question I put area x k = frequency then work out k=4, not quite sure why I get the same answers....

Other than these, everything else are fine....

For the histogram question; you will get the two marks. On previous mark schemes, you get the two marks for either subbing in the value to your formula or estimating from your line. :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Oh god Und this is grim. I may have dropped 6 marks due to misreading a probability as 0.5 instead of 0.05...

:frown: I hate how these exams test your ability not to make silly mistakes rather than anything else. Perhaps you'll just lose 3 marks or so for accuracy instead of the full 6 marks.
Reply 67
Didn't work out the area on the Histogram correctly but kept the ratio's correct and got all the right answers - how much will I be penalised for this?
in the first part of the histogram one, i did the same method but somehow found a different answer for k, but i used the same method to find the frequency, above 35mph, and from then the error was carried forward. how many marks would i get out of 4 in that first part.

i made a table with my different value of k and found the mean, would i get any marks out of 3?

i used interpolation to find the median from my table, which was obviously wrong but would i still get a mark for getting the method right?

mine still turned out to be positive skew, and i said the med<mean so positive, i would get the 2 marks for that wouldn't i?

PLEASE help!
Reply 69
January re-sits anyone??
Original post by und
:frown: I hate how these exams test your ability not to make silly mistakes rather than anything else. Perhaps you'll just lose 3 marks or so for accuracy instead of the full 6 marks.

I really hate it too - and I hope I just lose accuracy marks, my working is flawless!
I'm going to ask the man himself in my next post...
Reply 71
Original post by raheem94

mate, are you doing m2 may 31st? Apparently the board recalled the paper and have made it harder because it was too easy and the last few papers have been too easy! i'm gonna get demolished :frown:

and economics, i messed up quite an obvious question today, so easy but had a brain freeze and have missed 3-6 comfortable marks!

the s1 sort of makes up for that though!
Reply 72
think i achieved 60/75
I hate s1...
Resitting this next year
Thought I had a good oppurtunity to get 100 UMS here, but I think I've made too many stupid errors.
I didn't square the E(X) when calculated the Var(X), so I got 5/3. How stupid!

Also drew my line of regression wrong, and made another simple error on the very last question, think I made a typing error on my calcultor.

Anyone else put that it was normally distributed because the mean and median were relatively close? Think we are likely to get a mark for that too? I thought it seemed reasonable.

I think the grade boundaries will be average for this paper as it was generally straight forward, but a lot of people seemed to have problems with the histogram question.

Think I've probably got 65-70/75.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
hey, could someone explain why the value used in the regression line in 3f is 16 and not 17? I'm not denying that it's right, I'm just confused as the question said pollution levels above 16 are likely to result in death so to find the minimum thinning of a shell, why would we use 16 if it's levels above 16 that are likely?
Reply 75
pfft for the normal distribution question i never used the smaller table only the larger one and i rounded to get 173 will i still get full marks?
Original post by Arsey
S1 May 2012

Not sure what to make of this paper, certainly required a little more thought than normal

Q1 - DRV

Easy

Q2 - PMCC

Easy

Q3 - Linear regression

Bit weird but pretty easy

Q4 - Venn

So stupidly easy

Q5 - Measures of location / spread

Very weird - you could have quite easily solved it by spotting that there were 22.5 5x5 squares so each 5x5 square represented 20 cars.

However I think this will be a massive bloodbath with many students picking up no marks.

Q6 - Normal distribution

Harder than normal I would say; I used the % points table to answer b) and c)

Q7 - Probability

Fairly easy but pretty unusual

I am going for

75 - 100ums
68 - 90ums
61 - 80ums
53 - 70ums
45 - 60ums
37 - 50ums
29 - 40ums

This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Stats 1 examination.

I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post.

I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.

Here are some links to previous S1 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...

S1 Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1865940

S1 June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619124

The second link contains loads of past papers, model answers etc

Good luck.

Hi Arsey. Thanks so much for posting this markscheme - there's one question I'd like to ask you if you don't mind.

On the last two parts of question 7, I misread the probability of a toy being faded as 0.5 instead of 0.05. How many marks (out of two for the first part and four for the second part) should I get for this, as all my working is correct apart from that number being copied down wrong?
Reply 77
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I really hate it too - and I hope I just lose accuracy marks, my working is flawless!
I'm going to ask the man himself in my next post...

Did you make your method 100% clear eg. by drawing a tree diagram? If so then you definitely won't lose all the marks.
Reply 78
Okay there's 1 thing i don't understand.. the question that asks you to find the minimum thinning of the shell that results in death, given that pollutant levels above 16 are likely result in the death, how come you have to use 16 and not 17 as the value of p in your regression line? Since pollutant levels above 16 result in death, wouldn't you have to use 17?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by raheem94

How'd it go raheem? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending