The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by pjanoo
I'm wondering the same thing

Haha, we replied to each others comments at the same time, saying the same thing :P
Reply 101
Original post by QwertyG
Ran out of time when I realised how the histogram is done goodbye A

Omg same
Was looking at it worked it out after staring at it forever and started writing and they tell us to put our pens down... I was pissed off because I know I nwo got 0 in that
Reply 102
Original post by monstercable
any ideas on grade boundaries?

see first post; although, they may be higher judging by the responses so far.
Reply 103
Original post by pjanoo
this is most probably a silly question, sorry, but does that mean I wouldn't get the mark for 17?

Probably not I'm afraid. The way they intended for the question to be answered is either by finding the value of t where p=16 on the graph by inspection, or subbing 16 into the formula.
Original post by Lol_Fish
What would 67/75 be? I messed up on question 6 -_- !!!!

Definitely an A.
Reply 105
Original post by Al04
Haha, we replied to each others comments at the same time, saying the same thing :P

haha, so strange. It's a shame about that question though, lost out on easy marks but at least it was only 2 marks
Question 5. b c and d pissd me off. I lost 7 marks... Well I may get one or 2 marks for working out or smetin but still Question 5 was tricky.

The rest of the paper i got right...

Hopefully 68/75 is still an A.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Oh god Und this is grim. I may have dropped 6 marks due to misreading a probability as 0.5 instead of 0.05...

You may just lose 1 mark (as a misread!). So 5/6 is still very possible.
Reply 108
Original post by James-Lloyd
Definitely 16. You could argue that at 16.0000001, and so on is the point at which it is above 16 and therefore will cause the death at that moment, so as it is so close to 16, you would simply just take it as 16. They may give you the marks for 17 though, who knows.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thank you :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by meowcat
for 3f I find the value by using the regression line in the graph :frown: can't believe I did this :frown:

for the histogram question I put area x k = frequency then work out k=4, not quite sure why I get the same answers....

Other than these, everything else are fine....

you will probably get the marks for using the line.
Reply 110
Original post by Arsey
4a - clearly that is fine

5e - yeah prob, i thought it was odd that it was quite close to being symmetrical.

For 5e could you not argue that you should use the mean because this includes cars speeding and is therefore a better measure of average speed, because the median would end up completely ignoring such individuals?
Reply 111
Original post by pjanoo
haha, so strange. It's a shame about that question though, lost out on easy marks but at least it was only 2 marks

Yeah i know! :s-smilie: Maybe we'll get 1 mark? haha
Reply 112
im guessing they do follow on marks then
Reply 113
Hi guys for question one my EX value was wrong would I get any method marks for my calculations using the EX I found?
Original post by und
I didn't revise much (I know it's not really an excuse) so in the rush of the exam I thought that P(BnT)=P(B)P(T|B) implied that they're independent which is obviously nonsense.

Ah, that's an impressive proof! :wink:
Really unfortunate though, unlucky. I can say goodbye to my Cambridge application if I keep dropping marks like this...
Looking at 95 UMS for this hopefully. I'm off to bed now, night!
Reply 115
Original post by koolkid1011
Hey two questions, if anyone can answer i'd appreciate it a lot:

1. For question 4a i gave two examples which were (B n W) and (T n W) . Each one is correct but would i be marked down for giving two? i got the explanation correct btw...

2. For question 5e would i get away by saying that the data is almost symmetrical and therefore it would be appropriate to use the mean? Also for question 5d i said the distribution was symmetrical for the same reasons above, again would i get the marks?

Thank you :smile:

1) Yeah what Arsey said, you'll get the marks.
2) I did the same as you! I thought to myself, in real life, it's so unlikely to get a perfectly symmetrical distribution so if median is almost the same as the mean then surely we would use normal distribution to represent it! Oh well, apart from that, wasn't too bad. My friend put negative skew but put the reasons for positive skew!
Original post by VictorDeLost
How'd it go raheem? :smile:

See my post.
Reply 117
Original post by vc94

:eek: really? Oh my gosh, I so hope so. Made the same mistake
How many UMS marks for an A?
Original post by vc94

Even though it's in two different parts of a question?! That would be amazing, I could still get 98 or 99 UMS!!

Quick Reply