The Student Room Group

M2 May 2012 Edexcel - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey
and you spelt it wrong, at least you are consistent :rolleyes:

you will get the M marks, if your subsequent method is correct, but lose all the accuracy marks

I don't think you needed acceleration for c) though

Cheers mate.

c) I calculated the time taken for the car to come to rest.

Oh how I failed.

Its so bad its quite funny!

Goodbye A*

Goodbye A?

Meh only need a B for my offer anyway...

Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 121
Original post by DeadBullyMafiosi
for question 6 c--ist it LOSS IN KE+LOSS IN PE=WD AGAINST FRICTION??

no, you gain in PE as you move up the slope
Reply 122
Original post by Arsey
???for 5 marks, it could well just be 40.1 acting vertically upwards ???

4 marks, even.

Also, how many marks would you lose in a question if you did all the working out correctly but made a small algebraic slip-up, eg. if in Q5 you got the speed wrong but everything else right? Hopefully I haven't actually made a mistake but 40 is the only number on here I can't remember from the exam.
Original post by Arsey

Just wondering why you don't do mark schemes for FP2/3? considering they are the funnest.
Here's a general question for pretty much any question... for example... a centre of mass question, freely suspended and you have to find the angle... could you find one angle and also write down (90 - angle) and still get full marks even though 1 of them will not be the answer to the question...? This could apply to the reaction question from today...
Original post by stonesoup95
No one got 80ms-1 for the speed?

Initial v is 30 Final v is unknown

0.25(v-30)=12.5
0.25v-7.5=12.5
0.25v=20
v=80

Isn't this correct?
And for the next question, I said -7.5i+10j for the answer do I get any mark for this?

I also got 80.

0.25(v-30)=12.5
0.25v-7.5=12.5
0.25v=20
v=80

Isn't this correct?
And for the next question, I said -7.5i+10j for the answer do I get any mark for this?

I too got this...
Reply 127

0.25(v-30)=12.5
0.25v-7.5=12.5
0.25v=20
v=80

Isn't this correct?

That equation is only correct if your initial and final velocities and your impulse are in the same direction. That's why you have to resolve forces before you can use I=m(v-u).
Reply 128
Original post by Arsey
It will be nailed on for isw (ignore subsequent working). However, unless you explicitly state acting upwards I think 1 mark would be lost. An arrow could be sufficient though I suppose.

I've actually done exactly what you did, showed the arrow for the vertical and quoted the overall thing to be above by 50.2 , so I could get away with maybe?

Very annoyed at my lack of reading!

Anyway, still confident of 100 overall, the rest of my paper was fine, so unless grade boundaries are 74, i reckon i've got 73+, fingers crossed
Reply 129
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I also got 80.

As 12.5 is the magnitude i think you have to do mv+mu, which will give you the answer arsey got
Reply 130
Original post by Arsey
the really daft thing is that now grades are going to be decided by luck as to what paper was sat when...

People who did M2 in Jan and then D2/S2 in June should count themselves very, very lucky

M2 in Jan was a joke compared to this paper

Not forgetting s1. The bloddy histogram question was horrible as well. Only 2people in my whole school could do it and my school is in the top10 in the uk lol
Reply 131
oh i can't see the soln of 6 i) can anyone tell me here? i probably got that question all wrong :frown:
Original post by Arsey
no, you gain in PE as you move up the slope

didnt read the question. I got the value of the distance as 360m because after eqauting it wrong -I rearrganed it wrong too-That means I will get no marks right?
Thanks for the answers though, much appreciated. Better gear myself up for the mess that will be C3 and C4..
Reply 134
Original post by arnab
Only 2people in my whole school could do it and my school is in the top10 in the uk lol

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. Perhaps you spoke to the wrong people, but I go to a similar school and I'm confident that the majority of further mathematicians got that question right, and certainly more than a handful of non-further mathematicians!
What do people think to Arsey's grade boundaries? Anybody else think otherwise?
Reply 136
Original post by DeadBullyMafiosi
didnt read the question. I got the value of the distance as 360m because after eqauting it wrong -I rearrganed it wrong too-That means I will get no marks right?

If you wrote down a formula then you'll probably get a method mark.
Original post by und
I'm sorry but I don't believe that. Perhaps you spoke to the wrong people, but I go to a similar school and I'm confident that the majority of further mathematicians got that question right, and certainly more than a handful of non-further mathematicians!

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
Reply 138
Original post by Father Ted
What do people think to Arsey's grade boundaries? Anybody else think otherwise?

I reckon they look about right. The January 2010 paper had even lower grade boundaries and was only slightly trickier than this.
Reply 139
Original post by und

I am not talking about the further maths people. The F.maths people in my school took it last year for their normal maths. You may be right about more then 2people but from everyone i heard so far, it was only 2 mate lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending