The Student Room Group

So I just hit my next door neighbours parked car...

We park on a sort of lay by and I was trying to fit in between his car and another, as to which I guess I misjudged my distance and just grazed his front bumper, and my back.

I managed to rub all the mark off mine, so you can't tell anything happened. But his front bumper mark won't come off (discreetly tried), as it looks like his paint has been grazed off unlike mine.

I'm sort of wondering what to do here. Because my car doesn't have any marks on it, and I they haven't seen it was me, do you think I should mention anything? What would you do? I know I have the responsibility to tell them it was me but the fact that no-one has seen or anything just makes it quite tempting to leave it be.
Personally, I wouldn't have the heart to just not tell them.

But I know for fact loads of people will advise you to just shut up about it.
Reply 2
If you know them and like them, tell them.

If you know them and hate them, don't tell them.

If you don't know them, don't tell them and park your car far away from there's in future in case it raises suspicion...
Reply 3
I know them and am neutral towards them haha. But I have parked my car as far away from theirs then there's no suspicion poss.

How would it work with something like this? I've never had to do anything insurancey before, would it cost me money or something if I told them?
Can you be 100% sure no body in the street sa you ,or saw you fiddling with his bumper? You should really admit it, or leave a note. I would have thought, if someone bumped your parked car, you would expect the same.
Go talk to them and say you'd like to pay for the repair (from the sounds of it won't cost me than £50) without going through insurance due to excess and over such a petty thing.

Don't be a complete ****. I'm sure at one point in your life you're going to come back to your parked car to see a dent in the door/scratch on it and you would like to sort it out properly rather than being out of pocket.
Reply 6
Yeah, is it possible someone else saw you? If not then just don't say anything :x I'd probably tell them myself but... I don't know... it's your choice.
I would own up and apologise profusely tbh. I'm sure they'll appreciate you being upfront about it. It'll cost you to repair, but a relatively small graze shouldn't be too expensive to put right.
Reply 8
Original post by Steezy
If you know them and like them, tell them.

If you know them and hate them, don't tell them.

If you don't know them, don't tell them and park your car far away from there's in future in case it raises suspicion...

This tbh. It all depends on what type of person you and your next door neighbour are. You don't have to take everything into insurance either, ya know.
Reply 9
Original post by Michaelj
This tbh. It all depends on what type of person you and your next door neighbour are. You don't have to take everything into insurance either, ya know.

Yeah I realise that now. I'm just thinking I honestly don't think he would tell me if he grazed my car which is putting me off telling him!
Reply 10
Original post by Airfairy
Yeah I realise that now. I'm just thinking I honestly don't think he would tell me if he grazed my car which is putting me off telling him!

That may be true, but you should take the high road anyway. If it's as minor as you say it is, it's unlikely to cost you more than 50 quid and they'll respect you much more for it, whereas if they somehow found out you did it (maybe a neighbour heard and saw you rubbing it off) and you don't tell them... it's a pretty serious crime (at least in the states, and I assume in the UK too) and at the minimum will hurt your roomates'/family's relationship with them. After all, they may have a touch up stick and not even need to take it in, or they may just decide they don't really want to and tell you to just forget about it... you never know. And that way, at least you can have a clear conscience about it.
Reply 11
You never know, if you offer to wash his car for him and try and polish it out, he might let you off. Depends on how much the damage is, it might T-Cut out...

Quick Reply

Latest