Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

laptop or ipad for uni next year

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im already at uni and my current laptop is ill & dying...

i have a custom build desktop at home & will probably bring it with me to uni in September when we move into our house

should i get a laptop or ipad for needing a computer when im out and about? what would you go for?
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    get an iPad, it will be sooo useful while you're out the house
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    get an iPad, it will be sooo useful while you're out the house
    8.5/10.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on whether or not you do bring your desktop to uni with you. iPads and other tablets can be great tools for when you just have light needs for classes and the like, but you 90% of people still need a fully fledged computer to get by at university and tablets still lack the ability to match that functionality.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the iPad, it's much more portable and you wouldn't need any of the advanced features it doesn't offer.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good morning)
    im already at uni and my current laptop is ill & dying...

i have a custom build desktop at home & will probably bring it with me to uni in September when we move into our house

should i get a laptop or ipad for needing a computer when im out and about? what would you go for?
    If you take your desktop, an ipad. If you don't then I guess you might need a laptop (most people need some sort of PC at uni).

Why do you need something for being 'out and about' anyway? In what situations do you think you'll just pull out your iPad and start playing with it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Laptop,

All the thinks you can do on Ipad you can do on laptop.

However, the things you can do on laptop you cant do on Ipad.

Get a small, convertible one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Why do you need something for being 'out and about' anyway? In what situations do you think you'll just pull out your iPad and start playing with it?
    I always wondered this, iPads are still too big to just carry around with you, especially for the males who dont carry bags with them at all.

If I'm out and need to check something quickly i have my phone, but couldn't see the uses of an iPad. Maybe in classes you could use one for notes, but generally notepad / pen or even taking your laptop in wouldn't be an issue on campus.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably get a tablet because
    -you can access textbooks in pdf/djvu without the weight and extra costs
    -it's preferable to have example/question sheets as pdfs rather than wasting paper and carrying loose sheets
    (before you say you can do these on a laptop, it's far more convenient on a tablet)
    -won't need to write essays as a maths student, so a physical keyboard and resource-hungry software won't be necessary
    -a lot easier to use on public transport, I've wasted so much time on the tube this year doing nothing
    -will have a desktop for heavier use

Dunno why people are negging all the ipad suggestions (Apple hate? I'll probably get an android myself), there are good reasons to get one over a laptop, though it would depend a lot on what you're studying
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    An ipad cannot replace your PC! You will still need it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pad!! least its easier to carry round the new ones out now aswelll i realllly want it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nooo dont let steve jobs take your soul (and your money) he has just rebranded something that was around and useless for years (the tablet pc) and made money off it. as someone else said a laptop does everything an ipad can do and much more. as i type this there is an advert next to the text box advertising a mac for university. this is the evil voldemort-esque power of apple. you so much as whisper the name of one of their products and you get bombarded with adverts before you can say apple is overpriced bull****.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a laptop. You'll find it a hell lot more useful and you dont even need to bring in your desktop then.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    These threads always come up. One guy says the iPad and gets negged, then someone says laptop as it's better specs for money. It's the debate of head over heart, I chose the iPad and it's been really good, my laptop is really poor quality and have needed to buy 3 chargers and get's too overheated. The battery has also started going. No problems on my iPad, regardless of what people say about Apple being a rip off.
    On paper Apple seems worse and people usually hate on them here, but they're well built and reliable and that's why I'd buy one. I wouldn't really come on here for advice as people are usally just Windows fans and are biased as they've never had a mac.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely laptop, not an ipad.
    Physical keyboard is a must in terms of studying per my view.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    These threads always come up. One guy says the iPad and gets negged, then someone says laptop as it's better specs for money. It's the debate of head over heart, I chose the iPad and it's been really good, my laptop is really poor quality and have needed to buy 3 chargers and get's too overheated. The battery has also started going. No problems on my iPad, regardless of what people say about Apple being a rip off.
    On paper Apple seems worse and people usually hate on them here, but they're well built and reliable and that's why I'd buy one. I wouldn't really come on here for advice as people are usally just Windows fans and are biased as they've never had a mac.
    Head over heart? I think you're a bit too close to your iPad.

And this is nothing to do with pc vs mac? I think most people agree that the iPad is one of the best if not the best tablet around. This is about tablet vs. laptop - don't try to create an argument where none exists.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    laptop is better i have both but for surfing the web and stuff i mostly use my laptop all i use the ipad for are the apps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The iPad is good for portability as it can double up as your textbook/PDF holder which saves space and possibly money; as well as being a device to take notes on. But the iPad is also restricted media wise as its only connected to iTunes, meaning that you can't shop around for music etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest doing what I'm gonna do. Use your PC for storing all your notes and for things other than lectures, get an ipad or android tablet for lectures etc, invest in a note taking or word processing app and then copy your notes up neatly into a pad when you have some free time you can sync your notes with a file service such as Google drive or dropbox and view them on your PC later and they will all be backed up

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i were you get a laptop, you can type alot quicker on those, besides, an ipad is just an improved larger itouch/iphone. iPads look good but thats about it, pretty average spec

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.