The Student Room Group

A2 wjec law -LA3+LA4 15th june+25th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by shaziaxo
Oooooh I see! Well thats annoying :frown: and I hate this AS element to the exam, it really gets to me :frown:

I know same ! Tbh I haven't looked much over my as stuff, I'm so unprepared, can't remember cases and dates etc ! Haven't even concentrated on past papers and questions yet :frown: aahhhh !!!
anyone got a brief outline of how to structure a police powers essay?
Reply 22
Original post by OxfordPotential
anyone got a brief outline of how to structure a police powers essay?

What part of police powers? Stop and search? Questioning and treatment?
Reply 23
Original post by SD12
I think we may be doing different papers! I'm doing la3 option 2- criminal law, never done national security !! I know, Same :frown:

part a:

police powers

homocide

offences and defences
Reply 24
Start off with Criminal Appeals Act 1995, then describe the appeal from Mags - Crown - QBD (with possible Supreme Court and ECJ on points of law/ points of EU law) and then Crown- CoA Criminal Division - Supreme Court (on point of law).

Don't forget to describe both the pros and def routes and what goes on during the appeals! They could ask you on either appeal route or both, so be prepared for that too.

Don't worry about the length, my answer written up was only a page and a bit. My crown court answer was 2 paragraphs long and got 11 marks! Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by JessNurden
What part of police powers? Stop and search? Questioning and treatment?

both?
also does anyone have a plan of how to structure whether someone is criminally liable?
Reply 27
Original post by OxfordPotential
both?

I can't make one off of the top of my head.
If the answer is broad, you can just mention all the breaches.
I don't think I can make an answer unless you gave me a scenario
Reply 28
I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but if the question is about the role of the juries, would you just say everything about how they are selected and so on? because you can't use advs and disadvs..
Reply 29
Original post by SD12
I know same ! Tbh I haven't looked much over my as stuff, I'm so unprepared, can't remember cases and dates etc ! Haven't even concentrated on past papers and questions yet :frown: aahhhh !!!

Well the boundaries are usually lower on this exam than LA4, so I'm relying on that...
Reply 30
I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but if the question is about the role of the juries, would you just say everything about how they are selected and so on? because you can't use advs and disadvs..

Yeah, you'd talk about Juries Act 1976, what cases they're used in and how they help e.g. criminal to decide guilty or not guilty verdict, some civil cases to award damages with a verdict of for or against claimant. Also include the ratio of the verdict e.g. 12 = unanimous, 11-1 or 10-2 is majority and 51% if a civil jury.

Mention the selection process and criteria e.g electoral role, jury vetting (I think) and when people can be discharged from jury service e.g. armed forces.

Oh and put in some cases like R v Wang and Bushels Case and how it dates back to the Magna Carta? I think there's more points but that's all I can get from the top of my head sorry. I hope this helps!
Reply 31
For the AS work, are you just going to revise a couple of cases where relevant in each topic? It must be too much to remember LA3 cases and also all of the AS Cases.

Also, will the b part questions be related in some way to part a or can they literally ask anything???
Reply 32
Yeah, you'd talk about Juries Act 1976, what cases they're used in and how they help e.g. criminal to decide guilty or not guilty verdict, some civil cases to award damages with a verdict of for or against claimant. Also include the ratio of the verdict e.g. 12 = unanimous, 11-1 or 10-2 is majority and 51% if a civil jury.

Mention the selection process and criteria e.g electoral role, jury vetting (I think) and when people can be discharged from jury service e.g. armed forces.

Oh and put in some cases like R v Wang and Bushels Case and how it dates back to the Magna Carta? I think there's more points but that's all I can get from the top of my head sorry. I hope this helps!

Thanks, you're an angel :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by ~S94
For the AS work, are you just going to revise a couple of cases where relevant in each topic? It must be too much to remember LA3 cases and also all of the AS Cases.

Also, will the b part questions be related in some way to part a or can they literally ask anything???

They will be partly related.
POssible b questions:

police powers
police bail
cps
jury/judge
legal aid
appeals
rule of law
Reply 34
They will be partly related.
POssible b questions:

police powers
police bail
cps
jury/judge
legal aid
appeals
rule of law

Are they allowed to pretty much ask anything however?
Reply 35
Original post by ~S94
Are they allowed to pretty much ask anything however?

police bail will just ask what is police bail
they might ask what legal aid is available to him.her
what appeal routes they have to go through
what the criteria for cps is
how jury are selected for (name's) crown court trial thing

etc
Reply 36
Ok, I know they havent done before but I just hope boring parts like Common Law, Equity, How to become a Barrister etc doesnt come up.
Original post by ~S94
Ok, I know they havent done before but I just hope boring parts like Common Law, Equity, How to become a Barrister etc doesnt come up.

ive been told they wont really ever do equity, i mean it is possible but just doesn't really occur. Stick to things like bail, CPS, juries.. x
Reply 38
Yeah, ever since the current spec begun, they have never really drifted away from the topics mentioned. A chance the CCRC may come up I suppose though.
Reply 39
I'm only learning bail, juries, cps and appeals for part b, cannot learn legal aid Sooo boring ! No matter how much I look over the defences I cannot remember! Isit risky if I don't learn defence of necessity and duress and consent? As consent tends to come up as an essay in la4 and I can't remember the others ?!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending