The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by JonathanHan01
I hope my essays were good, I managed to do "A Hanging" by George Orwell for question 11, however I then done "Vergissmeinnicht" by Keith Douglas for question 12. When I told my teacher I done "Vergissmeinnicht" she gave me a confused look, however when I explained to her that the complex character was the dead soldier, and at the beginning he was thought of as just another soldier, a normal killing machine, yet upon further inspection it becomes apparent through characterisation that he was a much more complex character.

She then just nodded and said: "Yes, I could see it." Just hope the marker understands what I was getting at, everyone else I know was saying they done "Death of Marilyn Monroe" by Edwin Morgan :colondollar:

yeay someone else did a hanging for 11, I was really unsure about this question, how do you think you did:smile:?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by auberjean
I pretty much did that as well, along with how the writer described the World Cup as a monoculture and horizon-to-horizon whereas the Olympics was varied, cosmopolitan etc.

Was the monoculture thing imageryy? it said "it is a monocluture" so i hope it was, i went on a tangent!
Reply 482
Original post by Maryam A
i'm hearing people finished their booklets yeah the line spacing was huge but i only did about 4 pages per essay. i thought my essays were really good until i hear people on this site saying they wrote loads?? :confused:

Quality not quantity and yes I have paid the price for finishing the booklet two blisters hoping they'll go down for maths :smile:
Reply 483
Original post by JackoGeddes
i think i did that too, said something like the world cup is a monoculture however the olympics is as mattering as being in the rainforest or something along those lines.
i also said the short sentance 'biodiversity'. on its own emphisesed the variety found at the olympics?

I analysed the image if the rainforest spaning over a large area of the earth hence show the appeal and significance of the olympics

Anybody else ?
contrasting figures '22 nations, something something 1 sex' contrasts with '209 nations, something something, and best of all 2 sexes' highlights the wider variety and significance the olympics has

this?

I preferred to use the word choice of "biodiverse" to show the idea that unlike the olympics closest rival to being the largest sporting event, it consists of events performed by both genders, this allows more people to compete at the games and provides more opportunity of interest for both competitors and supporters?
Original post by Direct15
I analysed the image if the rainforest spaning over a large area of the earth hence show the appeal and significance of the olympics

Anybody else ?

I analysed monoculture as it said, "it is a monoculture" as i knew what one was from biology, and it wa sused to emphasis that there is only a single sex and sport played in things like the world cup! Am sure the rainforest one is fine two!
Reply 486
Original post by freedom123
I analysed monoculture as it said, "it is a monoculture" as i knew what one was from biology, and it wa sused to emphasis that there is only a single sex and sport played in things like the world cup! Am sure the rainforest one is fine two!

Thank god because I had contrasted the small limited number of people who compete at the world cup to the vast different people at the olympics
i really dont think i've went into as much detail as you guys, worried a bit.

for example i've just said 'this small ammount of people contrasts with the vast variety of people at the olympics' and so forth for most questions like that..

Also, does anyone have the paper? would be brilliant if someone could upload it!!

also when do the marking instructions become available?
Reply 488
I am slightly worried as i feel i did really well, which is usually a bad sign haha
Original post by Direct15
Thank god because I had contrasted the small limited number of people who compete at the world cup to the vast different people at the olympics

Wait a minute... I did not even mention contrast!! omggg, i just said imagery of "it is a monoculture" AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Reply 490
i really dont think i've went into as much detail as you guys, worried a bit.

for example i've just said 'this small ammount of people contrasts with the vast variety of people at the olympics' and so forth for most questions like that..

Also, does anyone have the paper? would be brilliant if someone could upload it!!

Somebody had started another thread hours back with a link of the scanned paper might be a couple of results before and the marking instructions will not be out for a while have to wait until the markers meeting is over
Reply 491
Wait a minute... I did not even mention contrast!! omggg, i just said imagery of "it is a monoculture" AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It didn't have to just be contrast it was a language or select two from the list question (can't quite remember) so as long as you have analysed that part well and done another aspect of language you'll have done it fine!
Reply 492

Don't worry as I know the last question will be my downfall, I think the question said to refer to contrast, imagery, wc etc
Reply 493
i think i did that too, said something like the world cup is a monoculture however the olympics is as mattering as being in the rainforest or something along those lines.

i also said the short sentance 'biodiversity'. on its own emphisesed the variety found at the olympics?

Yeah I forgot about that! I was going to mention it but then I went on to something else.. can't even remember now! Yeah I didn't like the huge number of language questions in the close reading to be honest... :frown:

Months yet.
Can someone tell me what Question 14 (Comparison of poems) was? Someone told me it was something about pleasure, and if so, I am screwed.
Reply 496
Original post by KeithyDee
Can someone tell me what Question 14 (Comparison of poems) was? Someone told me it was something about pleasure, and if so, I am screwed.

I have no idea. But question 15 was about growing older or something.
Reply 497
Can someone please tell me how many marks the very last question of the close reading was out of? Please?
Original post by TheDuck!
Can someone please tell me how many marks the very last question of the close reading was out of? Please?

5 marks.

3 for the three "points on which they agree/disagree with quotes" and 2 for good use of language.
Reply 499
Original post by KeithyDee

Two poems that address a similar theme you had to discuss which one you found to be more pleasing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending