The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SQA
OP
Original post by Quick-use
Hey guys,

Don't worry about what your teacher has said about your folio - it's very subjective. Last year my teacher said that I would get two 17s for each of my pieces (34/50 overall), and when she checked with another teacher at school (who works with the SQA) he said that I'd get one 15 and a 17 (32/50 overall). I actually ended up getting 46/50... So I either got two 23s or one 25 and a 21. :smile: :fluffy: Therefore, your teacher can be wrong.

Also, more quotations = more impressive, true. But, just remember not to go too overboard with quotations. Your quotations are backing you up; they're not you're main point. :smile: So just make sure to not overshadow your analysis and points with your evidence/quotes. :smile: :biggrin: You guys have loads of quotes, but also remember that TECHNIQUES are equally important or at times even more-so! Techniques = da bomb. :biggrin: PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THAT!

Thaanks for the confidense!! :smile: x
For my critical essays, I'd say I've revised almost as much as I can, so if I do badly it'll be down to really poor questions rather than under-preparation.
Please, PLEASE sqa, give out good drama questions. 'A Streetcar Named Desire' is a nightmare unless you get one that fits pretty well...
Reply 42
SQA
OP
Original post by Revolver72
Feeling nervous, but that's mainly just general exam nerves.

I've got a couple of Larkin poems - Ambulances and Afternoons - and Ted Hugh's Pike. My drama and prose are Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby respectively.

My folio's in at two 19s. Hopefully I'll get at least 15 in both my essays, and kinda hoping for 19 in at least one. Close reading hopefully should be high 30's, low 40's.

Best of luck to everybody! :smile:

You'll do well! Lets prove SQA (not me lol) that we can nail it! Goodluck :smile:
Reply 43

I've got a couple of Larkin poems - Ambulances and Afternoons - and Ted Hugh's Pike. My drama and prose are Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby respectively.

My folio's in at two 19s. Hopefully I'll get at least 15 in both my essays, and kinda hoping for 19 in at least one. Close reading hopefully should be high 30's, low 40's.

I did the great gatsby aswell but I hate writing about it :frown: I can never write a good essay on it. I did afternoons aswell lol
Original post by SQA
You'll do well! Lets prove SQA (not me lol) that we can nail it! Goodluck :smile:

Thanks, haha! Best of luck to you too.

Original post by Oamin1995
I did the great gatsby aswell but I hate writing about it :frown: I can never write a good essay on it. I did afternoons aswell lol

I didn't actually particularly like Gatsby, nor do I write particularly well on it. So with any luck, the right questions for drama and prose come up! I like Afternoons, it's easy to write on. That's what I found, anyway :P.
Reply 45
Anybody doing a prose non-fiction? Doing one called 'factory to the firing line' by David Pratt which is great. Other people are doing 'A Hanging' by George Orwell, which we studied and is also good, but not going to bother learning it: think 5 texts is overkill.

Doing the Great Gatsby, Othello and a poem called Binsey Poplars which is all kinds of awful.

Hoping for 19 in my essays and 35 in the close reading. Hopefully which a strong folio and the low A boundary (64% last year I believe) an A will be well within reach!

Good luck everyone!

And no, I don't read the questions first. Passage, then questions :smile:
Reply 46

I didn't actually particularly like Gatsby, nor do I write particularly well on it. So with any luck, the right questions for drama and prose come up! I like Afternoons, it's easy to write on. That's what I found, anyway :P.

I know some quotes for gatsby but it's my final backup lol :P afternoons is quite good yeah a short wee poem, but I got like 19s for drama and media so I think I do better in those genres :') here's hoping there are good questions!
Reply 47
hello guys I have a slight problem I know my 2 poems fairly well and my drama also but i dont know my prose, would it be fine to learn say 10 quotes for prose and hope for the best?
Reply 48
What poems are they and what drama text?
Reply 49
At Grass and Valentine for poems. Othello for Drama.
Original post by n00b/
hello guys I have a slight problem I know my 2 poems fairly well and my drama also but i dont know my prose, would it be fine to learn say 10 quotes for prose and hope for the best?

&

Original post by n00b/

If your mentality is to 'hope for the best', that's probably inadvisable. But, you can be prepared with two sections. I might, however, learn another poem? Have you done any in class that you could learn some quotations from tomorrow, as a 'just-in-case'? Simply to make life a little easier, and to ease some stress for you.
Reply 51
Original post by Reece:)
I'm learning 4 texts for the exam, well, attempting to anyway :P I have The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (novel), A Hanging by George Orwell (non-fiction text), Ambulances by Philip Larkin (poetry), and King Billy by Edwin Morgan (poetry). Hoping there is questions in there, I really don't like the "chance" element of English :frown:

I'm doing King Billy to. Well, I know it however I have one other poem, one novel and one non-fiction prose. I'm a bit worried though as I don't know whether to go back over King Billy, I know I'm leaving it late, or just risk it. Although there are quite often questions for the other poem I can't help but feel on edge about going in with just one poem and if there isn't a questions, well game over.
Do you think you'll do King Billy in the exam?
Reply 52
Can't wait for critical essays:smile: my favourite handed in a Gatsby essay yesterday and got 21 timed.
My essays normally get 19/21 with my harsh teacher however close reading is my pitfall :frown:
Got told my folio pieces should receive no less than 17 so there is hope.

Hoping for Gatsby and Blackberry picking - hate Marrakech and The Horses

I am doing Ambulances as well, how confident are you on writing about it?
Reply 54
I have the worlds worst teacher with two awful awful texts.
I am doing Enduring Love by Ian McEwan, a horrific and boring novel. And Inception!! I love the film, but it is so hard to write a higher quality timed essay on it! We have barely even studied it in class and it is stronly advised not to do a TV/Film or Non Fiction prose when it is only briefly covered, so im staying clear! Fortunately, i am studying Visiting Hour - Norman MacCaig, Havisham and In Mrs Tilchers Class by Carol Ann Duffy, all i feel comfortable writing about. I am so scared for this prose question tomorrow. Could cry right now, I FEEL SO UNPREPARED!! AHHHHH:angry::frown::confused:
Reply 55
I'm standing in the awful position where I just have absolutely no idea how I'll do. I've never received any actual grades for any of my essays, ever. I've also barely received helpful feedback on them so I just have no idea what level my essays actually are :confused: I also didn't receive predictions for my folio so for all I know I could've handed in two pieces worth no more than 11 each. I only really have my prelim marks to go off of but even then it's dodgy.
I don't feel confident at all and I'm terrified of going into the exam tomorrow, and I know I'm going to feel awful and worried until August :frown:
Reply 56
SQA
OP
Original post by rawragee
I'm standing in the awful position where I just have absolutely no idea how I'll do. I've never received any actual grades for any of my essays, ever. I've also barely received helpful feedback on them so I just have no idea what level my essays actually are :confused: I also didn't receive predictions for my folio so for all I know I could've handed in two pieces worth no more than 11 each. I only really have my prelim marks to go off of but even then it's dodgy.
I don't feel confident at all and I'm terrified of going into the exam tomorrow, and I know I'm going to feel awful and worried until August :frown:

Aw guys don't worry, be confident and try your best! I felt confident in my chemistry exam and i've done it so well! Compared to my prelim results, AHH:eek: :frown:, so, positive thoughts are the best, if you feel brave, you'll remember quotes, you'll understand the close reading, and you'll do it good! Don't worry! :wink2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by n00b/

I hated valentine so much! We only studied it for about a week then gave up on it though :biggrin:
Reply 58
Hey, when quoting drama and poetry, do you have to put a / to indicate a new line? Ahhhh, panic.com! Also, do SQA markers know if a quote has a tiny mistake? Will they penalise you?
Original post by Scrabble96
Hey, when quoting drama and poetry, do you have to put a / to indicate a new line? Ahhhh, panic.com! Also, do SQA markers know if a quote has a tiny mistake? Will they penalise you?

I don't use a slash and my teacher hasn't marked me down because of it, although it wouldn't do any harm
And I don't know what they do about small mistakes, if it's only a mix-up of words then they probably won't notice. Unless you wrongly quote something famous :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending