The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA4 (11/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by internet tough guy
I thought it says somewhere in the textbook that electric fields don't change the velocity of the particle or something along the lines of this:

''no work is done by the magnetic field on the particle as the force always acts at right angles to the velocity of the particle . Its direction of motion is changed by the force but not the its speed. The kinetic energy of the particle is unchanged by the magnetic field''

thats on page 113 on nelson thornes aqa textbook

no sir, electric fields will definitely accelerate a charged particle (that is the second part of the mass spec after ionisation)

just that in a mass spectrometer, seeing as the mass spec is curved, the magnetic field adjusts how much the particle is deflected in the curved path of the mass spec so that it hits the detector at the end - because magnetic fields will cause circular motion.
Original post by callmenighthawk
that threw me off too, but know that the emf is at a maximum when the coil is cutting MOST of the field, as emf = deltaBAN/t , so when the face of the coil is parallel to the field. i.e the change in area or b field usually, as its' difficult to quickly wrap wires on to coils quickly!

i think that sentence meant instead of the coil turning clockwise/anticlockwise perpendicular to the field, it would be turning anticlockwise/clockwise in the same plane, so there would be no change in area cut even though the the area cut is a maximum. a little bit confusing and should really have a diagram considering it's not the easiest topic at all (my worst topic infact)

yeah its confusing, I mean, when I look at the diagram on figure 3, it does seem to match up with the 'e=e0sin2pi*f*t' formula (the formula in bold at the centre of the page). Because when the its paralell with the field lines, the normal to the coil's side face would be penpendicular to the field line, so sin90 = 1
Hey guys, stuck on q.16, 17 and 22 on this paper:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

For 16, the right answer is C but I thought electric potential is 0 whenever the electric field strength is 0 surely?
For 17, how do you do this question?
For 22, what is the exact reason for the answer being C? Is it because since the speed of the electron and the magnetic field are not perpendicular, it has no effect on the electron hence no force is exerted on it, therefore it just continues to move as if there was no magnetic field?

Thanks! :smile:
Does anyone have a list of boundaries for full UMS?
Can someone help me on Pg 126 Qu 3b in the nelson thrones textbook please, done like a million things cant get correct answer. ^^
Reply 105
''An electron and a proton are 1.0 × 10–10 m apart. In the absence of any other charges,
what is the electric potential energy of the electron?''

why for the question is thr r not squared (answer is -2.3x10^-18 not -2.3x10^-8)
Original post by Next Level
Hey guys, stuck on q.16, 17 and 22 on this paper:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA4-1-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

For 16, the right answer is C but I thought electric potential is 0 whenever the electric field strength is 0 surely?
For 17, how do you do this question?
For 22, what is the exact reason for the answer being C? Is it because since the speed of the electron and the magnetic field are not perpendicular, it has no effect on the electron hence no force is exerted on it, therefore it just continues to move as if there was no magnetic field?

Thanks! :smile:

16- Its asking which one is incorrect, so you're right C

17- well ke is 0 cause at that point its velocity is 0
- ep is maximum at p because its getting closer
-energy is always constant cannot be created or destroyed..
- alpha particle cant have zero energy otherwise it would literally be non existant must be C

22- Yeh it cant cut any field lines if it travels parrell, key word is that there in the same plane. answer is C
Original post by FrightBright
16- Its asking which one is incorrect, so you're right C

17- well ke is 0 cause at that point its velocity is 0
- ep is maximum at p because its getting closer
-energy is always constant cannot be created or destroyed..
- alpha particle cant have zero energy otherwise it would literally be non existant must be C

22- Yeh it cant cut any field lines if it travels parrell, key word is that there in the same plane. answer is C

No but I thought C was correct :rolleyes:

For 17, how do you know Ep is a max at P? I thought Ep is max when the distance from the object is greatest?
How do you work out the speed each side of a rectangular coil moves, frequency is 50 Hz, flux linkage is 0.026Wb
sides are length: 65mm, width: 38mm

P129 Qu 3b I

For 17, how do you know Ep is a max at P? I thought Ep is max when the distance from the object is greatest?

Actually hang on you've confused me abit on this...

Yeh but isnt it a magnitude that matters it might be like -500J. at max distance its 0Joules

Okay I've edited this like 4 times. It cannot be correct I think maybe we were thinking about electric potential ENERGY instead of Electric potential
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110

There is a transfer of potential to kinetic energy happening here. At the point P it is momentarily stationary, and so all of it's kinetic energy has been transferred to potential energy.
Anyone have any idea what the old spec was called? I'm trying to find the past multiple questions from the previous spec, as a lot of them are repeated. Thanks!
Original post by SBarns
There is a transfer of potential to kinetic energy happening here. At the point P it is momentarily stationary, and so all of it's kinetic energy has been transferred to potential energy.

Gotcha cheers!
Reply 113
Can anyone explain how to do questions where you have 2 point charges (-16x10^-6C and +4x10^-6C), a distance between them (120mm) and you're required to find the point between them where the potential/resultant force is 0? I've got this type of question wrong a few times now and can't seem to get my head round it.
what mark out of 25 should i be aiming for for 90 ums
Reply 115
Original post by gukl
Can anyone explain how to do questions where you have 2 point charges (-16x10^-6C and +4x10^-6C), a distance between them (120mm) and you're required to find the point between them where the potential/resultant force is 0? I've got this type of question wrong a few times now and can't seem to get my head round it.

I do them using ratios. From the example above you know that the 16C charge is 4 times larger than the (-)4C charge, so their electrostatic forces will act in the ratio 1:4. So the point of zero resultant force is: (120/5) x 1 = 24mm from the -4C sphere or (120/5) x 4 = 96mm from the 16C sphere.
Can anyone help me with these questions:

What would the period of rotation of the Earth need to be if objects at the equator were to appear weightless? radius of earth=6.4 x 10^6

Also, for a step up transformer, why is secondary current less than the primary current?

Thanks
Original post by number23

What would the period of rotation of the Earth need to be if objects at the equator were to appear weightless? radius of earth=6.4 x 10^6

Also, for a step up transformer, why is secondary current less than the primary current?

Thanks

Not sure about your first question - but for the second part:

Energy suppliers don't like wasting money - having a high current travelling through wires will cause energy loss through heat etc, so by the equation R=V/I you can increase the voltage to lower the current - but the problem with higher pd is that it's more dangerous.

Hope that helps
Reply 118
Original post by SBarns
I do them using ratios. From the example above you know that the 16C charge is 4 times larger than the (-)4C charge, so their electrostatic forces will act in the ratio 1:4. So the point of zero resultant force is: (120/5) x 1 = 24mm from the -4C sphere or (120/5) x 4 = 96mm from the 16C sphere.

Thanks just what I needed, somehow forgot how ratios worked :colondollar:
Original post by number23

Thanks

make mrw^2=mg

You will feel weightless when all your weight is being used for centripetal force.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending